What is the Brand Bike to Have?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    107

    What is the Brand Bike to Have?

    After my short time on here I have noticed there are a lot of popular brands out there that I've never even heard of. For categories like 26" and 29" hardtail bikes used for moderate single track trails (nothing too serious but maybe some serious stuff in the future). Also, this is just curiosity as I would never ride a bike on the road while there are lunatics out there that feel the need to text and drive, what would be a great brand road bike to get?

    I don't think I'm the type to get a full suspension bike, but what brand makes the best one of those?

    I've seen bikes direct give out get deals on Motobecanes in which they have killer components for a great price. If one didn't want to go the Motbecane route, what brand bike would be the next best to get as far as bang for your buck is concerned?


    As you can see from my sig, I'm into Trek bikes simply because I feel they are rugged bikes that can take a lot of abuse and still keep on going with no problems. Is this a wrong assumption?
    Mid 90's Trek 820
    2011 Trek 4300

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Doug_H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    34
    The best bike brand is the one that you choose and allows others to choose whats best for them.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    665
    42.

  4. #4
    Blue Pig
    Reputation: Blksocks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,553
    Meh. Anything other than a department store bike.
    Ragley Blue Pig

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    107
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug_H
    The best bike brand is the one that you choose and allows others to choose whats best for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blksocks
    Meh. Anything other than a department store bike.
    I figured this would be more of a subjective thing. I didn't know if there was a great brand name out there that offered excellent components for a cheap price. The only thing I can figure so far is that Motobecane offers great components inexpensively but the catch is you have to buy it online since they have very few brick and mortars. This makes me feel much more confident in the bike I bought.
    Mid 90's Trek 820
    2011 Trek 4300

  6. #6
    ~Disc~Golf~
    Reputation: highdelll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    16,492
    NEXT is the best
    Honestly... ahh I give up

  7. #7
    ~Disc~Golf~
    Reputation: highdelll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    16,492
    Oh, and Cycling on the road is about 5 times saver than being a pedestrian
    http://www.kenkifer.com/bikepages/health/risks.htm
    Honestly... ahh I give up

  8. #8
    bi-winning
    Reputation: rkj__'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    11,108
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll
    NEXT is the best
    Whatever bike highdell swings a leg over becomes the best.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

  9. #9
    meow meow
    Reputation: b-kul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    10,622
    whats going on here? trek is fine.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    107
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll
    Oh, and Cycling on the road is about 5 times saver than being a pedestrian
    http://www.kenkifer.com/bikepages/health/risks.htm
    Well I try to do as little as possible in either case.
    Mid 90's Trek 820
    2011 Trek 4300

  11. #11
    ~Disc~Golf~
    Reputation: highdelll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    16,492
    Quote Originally Posted by Snagged7
    Well I try to do as little as possible in either case.
    hooray for lazyness!!
    Honestly... ahh I give up

  12. #12
    Truly Doneski
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    541
    +1 on NEXT
    Originally Posted by Bmateo1:
    Joyous Day in Woods
    Thoughtless Jackwagon, piss near
    Chudzpah, Passion Lost

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    107
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll
    hooray for lazyness!!
    Nahh, I'm really a bit anal about staying in shape. Hit the weights 3 times a week and now I'm back into the cardio kick 4 or 5 days a week. I just stay away from the streets as much as possible when I'm not driving, heard too many horror stories.

    I hear you guys on the "next" comments. I'm thinking a Trek 6 series is going to be my next bike. That won't be for awhile though.
    Mid 90's Trek 820
    2011 Trek 4300

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: superjesus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    73
    As a general rule,

    Fit >> brand name
    I love the hills, but the hills don't love me back.

  15. #15
    Class Clown
    Reputation: dundundata's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,447
    i just look at the frames, i'd rather build it myself

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    639
    ^ hurray for you

    Now on to what the OP really cares about....

    Brand doesn't matter. Anything your LBS carries will be of high quality and use the same components. Different brands just use different frames. Same components. Some bikes shops do sell Motobecane if you're interested in them. More important to get the right size bike and fit for the bike than the bike itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    "It's amazing how people can make bicycle riding seem so complicated on the internet."

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    23
    Mount Dora Cycles is right on...the frame is just a little variation from brand name to brand name, but most are similar. The most important thing is making sure the frame fits and that the components on the bike are the right fit for the style of riding you want to do.

  18. #18
    ~Disc~Golf~
    Reputation: highdelll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    16,492
    yeah - all frames are pretty much the same - I mean, you can get a Madone frame put Formula brakes, Saint drivetrain and a Boxxer WC on it and you pretty much have a sick DH bike.
    Honestly... ahh I give up

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    107
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll
    yeah - all frames are pretty much the same - I mean, you can get a Madone frame put Formula brakes, Saint drivetrain and a Boxxer WC on it and you pretty much have a sick DH bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisocross
    Mount Dora Cycles is right on...the frame is just a little variation from brand name to brand name, but most are similar. The most important thing is making sure the frame fits and that the components on the bike are the right fit for the style of riding you want to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mount Dora Cycles
    ^ hurray for you

    Now on to what the OP really cares about....

    Brand doesn't matter. Anything your LBS carries will be of high quality and use the same components. Different brands just use different frames. Same components. Some bikes shops do sell Motobecane if you're interested in them. More important to get the right size bike and fit for the bike than the bike itself.
    Good to know and very helpful. Thanks guys.
    Mid 90's Trek 820
    2011 Trek 4300

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.