What bike?- Mtbr.com

Thread: What bike?

banned

What bike?

I need a bike for mountain trails that are uphill and downhill.

I will also be doing some street stuff on it, using it for commuting and a bit of dirt jumping.

It needs to be a complete bike, max. $1000, preferably under $800, and can be a used bike.

I'd like to get more than one bike, but I can't afford it, so I will need one bike for all of these things.

I won't be buying one for about a month so I have some time to decide.What should I get, my friends?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Egh, I couldn't find anything satisfactory when looking around for a "cross country jumper."

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by MelvinoelGreat
    I need a bike for mountain trails that are uphill and downhill.

I will also be doing some street stuff on it, using it for commuting and a bit of dirt jumping.

It needs to be a complete bike, max. $1000, preferably under $800, and can be a used bike.

I'd like to get more than one bike, but I can't afford it, so I will need one bike for all of these things.

I won't be buying one for about a month so I have some time to decide.What should I get, my friends?
    Check out the Kona 'Stuff, 'Shred', and the 'Steely'.

http://www.konaworld.com/bikes.cfm

They come with gears (so you can climb), the frames are jump/thrash worthy and they are right around your price point.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    oh look, three bikes that are exactly what i wanted...

Anyone know the weights of these bikes? Is the steely considered the "best" of the three, and what are the differences?

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Asking about the weight of a Kona is kind of like asking your GF/wife how much they weigh. You're better off just enjoying the ride (as it were)

TBH, the Steely looks more like a long travel trail/hardtail than a true jumper to me, especially seeing as it comes with a 130mm Tora and the Stuff/Shred come with "DJ" forks. Probably fine with lightweight air time, but if you're getting more than a couple feet off the ground on a regular basis and basically treat it like a skateboard, the Stuff/Shred will be the better choice . . . . . IMHO.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Ok thanks for the info. I'm gonna look at those two a bit more. With those pricepoints I'm a bit concerned about quality I guess, but I dunno.

banned
    What freeride hardatils would you recommend in my price range?

Remember that they have to be complete bikes, my friends.

banned
    Right now I'm looking at the Kona Stuff, the Diamondback Overdrive and the HAro Escape 8.2.

Which of these has the strongest frame? And which is the best overall, my friends?

R.I.P. DogFriend
    The Diamondback Overdrive is a XC 29er. Not really a dirt jumper.
    ====================
    The Haro Escape 8.2 is a freeride hardtail.
    ====================
    Freeride vs. Downhill vs. Dirt Jumper

Freeride bikes are basically made for hucking off the side of a cliff (very large drops), crawling over obstacles (hence the higher than normal bottom bracket on 'freeride' type bikes) while (mostly) descending.

Freeride bikes and downhill bikes are similar in many ways (heavy duty frames and components), but a DH bike will generally have a lower bottom bracket height for better cornering and the freeride bike will have the higher bottom bracket for clearing onstacles.

Dirt jump bikes are kind of like BMX bikes on steroids and ideal for thrashing around in skate parks, so-called 'urban' riding, and jumping on groomed jumps. they are usually lighter and more easily manuevered than freeride bikes.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffj
    The Diamondback Overdrive is a XC 29er. Not really a dirt jumper.
    ====================
    The Haro Escape 8.2 is a freeride hardtail.
    ====================
    Freeride vs. Downhill vs. Dirt Jumper

Freeride bikes are basically made for hucking off the side of a cliff (very large drops), crawling over obstacles (hence the higher than normal bottom bracket on 'freeride' type bikes) while (mostly) descending.

Freeride bikes and downhill bikes are similar in many ways (heavy duty frames and components), but a DH bike will generally have a lower bottom bracket height for better cornering and the freeride bike will have the higher bottom bracket for clearing onstacles.

Dirt jump bikes are kind of like BMX bikes on steroids and ideal for thrashing around in skate parks, so-called 'urban' riding, and jumping on groomed jumps. they are usually lighter and more easily manuevered than freeride bikes.
    Sounds like I want a mix of freeride and DJ.

Members who have read this thread: 0