What am I missing- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2020

Upset What am I missing

How'dy all,

Feeling very inadequate about having to post for help on this topic but rather make a situation worse I should consult the brains trust.

My Giant XTC recently had a baby seat on the back which required a bracket kit to help guide the front derailer cable. Now that it's removed I somehow have excess cable sheath which needs to mount in the existing brackets a certain way. I don't have enough slack in which to correctly attach the cable....really odd because if anything I would have anticipated more slack due to something excess being removed. The pictures will tell the story.

I did have this bike serviced post mounting the baby seat bracket and I can only assume the shop installed a longer cable perhaps. I'll see if I can call them tomorrow for an answer..

At first glance I would assume I need to cut the sheath to a new length to allow the fit. Can't see any other way...however I often don't...I have a gift of seeing the wrong way and causing more damage
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What am I missing-fitted-too-short-cable.jpg  

What am I missing-outofbracket-enough-cable-length.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I don't quite understand the problem, the top photo looks about right. What you are calling the sheath is normally called cable housing. The housing should fit in the cable stops (the brackets on the frame) There should be enough housing to make a looping bend for smooth cable movement. On the ends of the housing there are what are called ferrels ,they fit in the cable stop , they come in different sizes. The shift cable looks long enough to reach to the derailleur. So I'm not seeing the problem , if when you have the houing in the stop and cable doesn't reach the the derailleur then either the cable is too short or the housing is too long. But if neither of those have changed , then what could be happening is that you are trying to install things with the shifter in the wrong position. Look at either Park Tools or Sheldon Brown you tubes for how to's.

My little friends
    You can cut the cable housing to shorten it; I prefer to use a dremel tool and cutoff wheel for a clean cut.

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by sexualninja View Post
    How'dy all,

Feeling very inadequate about having to post for help on this topic but rather make a situation worse I should consult the brains trust.

My Giant XTC recently had a baby seat on the back which required a bracket kit to help guide the front derailer cable. Now that it's removed I somehow have excess cable sheath which needs to mount in the existing brackets a certain way. I don't have enough slack in which to correctly attach the cable....really odd because if anything I would have anticipated more slack due to something excess being removed. The pictures will tell the story.

I did have this bike serviced post mounting the baby seat bracket and I can only assume the shop installed a longer cable perhaps. I'll see if I can call them tomorrow for an answer..

At first glance I would assume I need to cut the sheath to a new length to allow the fit. Can't see any other way...however I often don't...I have a gift of seeing the wrong way and causing more damage
    The housing does appear to be too long. In the top picture it has 3 bends in it instead of 1 easy bend.

If you cut the housing, you need to use a ferrule on the cut end. Either save one, if you can get it off, or just go to the shop. They will have a nice cutter. Having a crappy cutter makes for poor results.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    Thankyou all, great replies. It's the only logical explanation, I'll see if I can get the local shop to help me out as my tool kit may not have exactly what I'm after.

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    For easy stuff like this that will need done periodically, it's usually better financially to get the tool and learn how to use it. Park Tool has a ton of help on their website for bike repair. A decent set of cable cutters is ~$20-30 or use the dremel mentioned above.
    :nono: :thumbsup:

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Just make sure you retract the cable far enough before cutting housing....

if you want something done right, you have to do it yourself. Even if I'm an idiot with 2 left hands, at least I care.
    Mayor v4
    Giant Toughroad

EAT MORE GRIME
    top photo shows too long

that particular cable and position should be one single curve

just pull wire back inside

chop off about 1.5 inches (use proper cutter)

reinstall old, or use new, ferrule
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Yup, housing (sheath) is a good bit too long. Maybe the seat bracket required it to be longer than original?

Weird that a shop would change that and then not even bother hooking up the cable to the derailleur. If that's what happened, they skipped half the job, and the half that they did, they did wrong.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    are you saying they removed brackets and rear seat, but kept the original cable and sheath? If so it should reconnect with no mod necessary, youll just have the unesthetic extra housing loop. Are you sure the shift lever hasnt been pushed in thus retracting the inner cable?
    You can trim the outer sheath, but make sure the lever is in correct position first. Also you may uave mixed results reinserting the inner cable. Reusing inner cable its common for the end to become frayed And kinked and close to impossible the thread throught the housing sheath.