mtbr member
    Aug 2018

Well..there goes my trails..and house?

So i live in thousand oaks...not the best thursday ever..in thousand oaks... first a huge tragedy and then huge fire..
    Pretty sur the trails i like by my house burned.. and maybe my house as well... cant get back to find out..left at 2:30 last night.

Looked like this when i left..the police were pretty adament it was time to GO.

Well..there goes my trails..and house?-20181109_014904.jpg[

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...&id=1063175290
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Well..there goes my trails..and house?-20181109_014856.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Also my bike maybe melted =/ on upside my family and truck are safe.

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    Sorry man. I hope things turn out for the best.
    Making shit harder than it needs to be isn't awesome, it's just...harder.

Cycologist
    Glad you and yours are safe. Sorry about your losses, that's tough.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Remember, there's always quilting and knitting if pedalling becomes too tough.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    I hear you. It's pretty scary in T.O. right now. First the Hill fire starts in Wildwood Park (right below Lizard Rock) yesterday afternoon (2 miles west of my house). Then the Woolsey fire rips through around 3 miles to the east. Right now I'm in the only corner of town not under mandatory evac, just watching the smoke clouds grow bigger and darker on the upwind side...

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    It's really easy to say "stuff is just stuff as long as you and yours are safe", but it couldn't be any more true.

I saw the list of missing posted on one of the news sites. My heart sinks knowing what people on both sides of the situation are going through.

Bikesexual
    Sorry man! What a week for you guys, I'm out east in the Diamond Bar area, and I'm just in awe watching the news. Our company used to be in Agoura Hills, so I have co-workers being evacuated.

Wishing you the best!
    The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    You left the bike? Here's hoping your home is undamaged.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    You left the bike? Here's hoping your home is undamaged.

Apparently my home is intact per a couple friends... yeah i left bike it was past 2 in the moring...grabbed safe with docs ..suitcase and my cat and his food.. fire was maybe 1/2 mile away with high winds.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Good call on the cat . Glad things seem to be ok. Horrible situation.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Sorry to hear.
    I went through the CARR fire incident this summer. I can relate to a degree. I didn't have any losses of personal property.
    All the trees, from every trail but 2, have burnt. However, the dirt surface rides just the same. Just gotta focus on the ride and not the burnt trees. We all feared the trails were a total loss based on how the scenery looked from afar.

I am happy that you did get out safely, with your family. The emotional roller coaster is just beginning. I ran into a guy walking his dog one day -the CARR fire was still a thing, but not active where we were. In talking, pretty much all he said was that most of his toys have been lost, and he rattled off the toys that were destroyed. I asked how his family was, and how much structure loss he sustained. He simply answered that he and his family were fine and only his garage/shop was lost (with all his toys). He needed a bit of time to let it settle that all was good.

The Camp fire has claimed 9 civilian lives, 5 that I heard (at the time) were found in their vehicles. A coworker's 81 year old mother now owns a box of clothes after her property has burned down. All she had time to gather was the clothing.

Looking at not only the forest damage of the CARR fire, the structure losses was difficult to process. Never have I seen homes after homes after homes reduced to a chimney. Road after rode. Neighborhood after neighborhood. But....then there are the 2 or 3 that survived. It looks odd seeing a UPS truck driving through a neighborhood that is mostly rubble.
    I know 7 people that last most everything they owned during the CARR fire. It is very mentally challenging.
    I hope you can stay strong and that your family continues to be safe and healthy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I hope all turns out fine for you atarione!

Only one who's been forced to join that shitty club can attest to "it's not just stuff". The cruelest things get said by those who came away unscathed when they act like it's just stuff or how you "at least got a bunch of new stuff.". Nothing doubles the pain of that experience like friends and family acting like you came out ahead somehow. So please don't say something like that to any of your family or friends if/when lose their homes/possessions, just let em know all will eventually be alright even though they can't see it happening.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Hello every one.. well the fire was 2blks from my house but my house survived my bike survived.. my friends house is fine... not everyone was so lucky certainly.. and in NoCAL.. eesh.. poor people..

Anyhow.. I only came back tonight about 1.5 hrs ago.. many others came back yesterday.. (i don't thing the evacuation order was lifted yet.. but meh) ..it is still horribly smokey I kinda wish I had waited another night honestly.. but I needed to get back and sort stuff out for Monday honestly .. but with my allergies the smoke is pretty miserable.

I aint going to ride my bike / work outside much till this smoke goes away..

My Cat Fitz has been "enjoying" the company of my friend's rabbit and dog for the last few days... as you can see he was THRILLED by this experience certainly..

Well..there goes my trails..and house?-resized_20181110_213356_8752001.jpg

my cat also was not a fan of the car ride home it was ~1hr or so of constant cat meowing .. delightful...

still very grateful to the firefighters and the police and my buddies who took me in for the last few days.. hopefully all these fires get contained / extinguished with minimal property loss and no additional loss of life..

I did see a lot of people going out of their way to help their neighbors and whatnot..

hopefully next week with be better for T.O. and CA and everyone for that matter.

cheers.

happily all the animals got on ok.. my cat mostly seemed to tollerate the rabbit and dog.. the Dog wanted nothing more in life then to by my cat's friend for life however..

as pictured here..

Bikesexual
    I would say great news, but I'm sure still tough to process all this. Glad your home is good to go.

That's one friendly dog.
    The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid