Vitus Nucleus 29 or Scott Aspect 940?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2020

Vitus Nucleus 29 or Scott Aspect 940?

Hey guys,
    I'm a long time lurker and reader. Just finally decided to upgrade the family bikes from the standard Walmart/Dicks $200 bikes to some nice bikes we can really enjoy. My local dealer is a Scott shop and is recommending the Aspect 940 for me and my son. I bought my wife a Scott Contessa Active and my daughter a Scott Scale 24" kids bike.

He was out of stock on all the Large frame 940s for me. That led me to research and try to find a different option. I came across the Vitus Nucleus 29 VR. It seems to be a better bike for less money. The only drawback is it's not local and i'd have to order it. I was looking for some stranger opinions on the 2 bikes and which one you guys would go with. My budget is around $700 US.

Thanks!

jcd's best friend
    You can't go wrong with either bike. The Vitus lineup is great but you have to import the bikes. If you need warranty assistance, it could be challenging due to time zone differences and the need to ship overseas. If you stick with the Scott, 2 things come to my mind:

1. Your bike will match the rest of the family!
    2. You will have local dealer support

Yeah, the parts are different between the 2 bikes but it depends on how plan to ride. If you are going on riding adventures with the family, the Aspect is more than enough bike to family ride. If you plan to get down and dirty, the Vitus could be a better option.
    Cannondale Synapse Neo | Salsa Timberjack

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The Vitus will have no problems with any bike paths or smooth trails the Scott can also ride.
    A primary difference is the fork. The air fork on the Vitus with a metal bushing inside can handle fast repeated bumps. It's a XCR air. Boost 15x110 for wide tires.
    The Scott has one spring and uses plastic bushings inside. It does have adjustable rebound damping. XCR coil. Non Boost.
    But the rims are 20mm wide leftover from road bike design of yesteryear. Vitus has 30mm to support the tire sidewall at lower pressures for offroad cornering and climbing traction. And less crashing.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Thanks to both of you for the advice. I really like the Vitus, but i'm worried about getting local support and tuneups, etc. The local guy is really good and offers free lifetime tuneups and 110% trade in value. I don't forsee any major trail riding in my future...Mostly rail trials and city parks. Maybe once a year venture out with friends to do a slightly more challenging "advanced beginner" trail somewhere. I was leaning towards the Vitus, but will probably go local and get the Scott. It might really depends on which bike comes in stock first. Both are out of stock.

I was also looking at the Vitus 29 VRS. I'm guessing the main difference there is the 1x10 vs the 2x9 drivetrain? I'm not fully understanding why the single gear at the pedals is better than 2. That has always confused me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    It seems to be better because it's easier to just change the rear and not the front and the rear. This only happens when your climbing. Climbing can be difficult enough. It's not much of a problem on the flats. And one is simpler with less maintenance. Two gears are neither a 32, for example. The gear you get with a single or the middle gear in a triple.

And any shop will work on any bike. Plus free lifetime tune-ups is really only used for the derailleur cable adjustment after you ride a few miles. Once you begin wearing out parts your shop will charge you to replace them. And to bleed your brakes. And true a wheel or set up tubeless, etc. So it ain't worth much.

Those wheels on the Vitus are way better in trail riding. Don't look now but after you ride some trails your perspective on the fun and value of trail riding is going to change. With one bike you'll have to do almost nothing.
    Decisions are hard when you don't know what you don't know.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Right now, when the hill is steep or pedaling is starting to get tough, I just shift down the smaller gear on the front and everything gets easier. I'm just afraid of losing that extra granny gear if needed by going to a 1x10 instead of a 2x. Is this not the case? Do you really not lose that extra low range? Take the 2 Vitus mentioned here...The VR has 11-36T with a 36/22T crank while the VRS has 11-46T with a 30t crank.

If i set the chain on the VR to 22t front and 36t rear...would that be easier to pedal than the VRS set to 30/46T?