V brake option plastic caps- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2006

V brake option plastic caps

On my frame that came with disc brakes, at the place of the rear V brake pivots there are some plastic caps. I find it impossible to remove them. Is there a trick to remove those. There is a small hole at the back but I am kind of scared to use a nail and a hummer. Thanks.

Double-metric mtb man
    Describe the plastic caps....are they covering the hole where the posts go, or the posts themselves. If the former, you may as well leave them to keep the dirt out. If the latter, I wouldn't bother as the posts will still be sitting there.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mike
    Describe the plastic caps....are they covering the hole where the posts go, or the posts themselves. If the former, you may as well leave them to keep the dirt out. If the latter, I wouldn't bother as the posts will still be sitting there.
    No they close the hole, like a cap.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

They're removable, but...

there is no real reason to do so. As Mike said, they are there to keep dirt and crud out and the threads inside clean. This is a good thing should you ever want to go to v brakes (not likely I know) or want to sell the bike but keep your discs. They probably either screw in or are pressed in. If they are pressed in then you'd need to take a small flat tipped punch or something of the sort and tap them out from the other side. But in doing so you may damage them to the point that they can't be re-used. So just leave em in place. They do serve a useful purpose.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Squash
    there is no real reason to do so. As Mike said, they are there to keep dirt and crud out and the threads inside clean. This is a good thing should you ever want to go to v brakes (not likely I know) or want to sell the bike but keep your discs. They probably either screw in or are pressed in. If they are pressed in then you'd need to take a small flat tipped punch or something of the sort and tap them out from the other side. But in doing so you may damage them to the point that they can't be re-used. So just leave em in place. They do serve a useful purpose.

Good Dirt
    But I am going back to V brakes, that's the reason i want to do it.

bang
    get a screwdriver or punch, and hammer them out from behind like squash said. you'll most likely destroy them (no biggie). just be careful that you don't gouge the boss threads as you hammer the caps out!

Members who have read this thread: 0