the uphill carry!!!- Mtbr.com

Feb 2004

New question here. the uphill carry!!!

Just taken my mountain my to North Wales, wot great downhills!!

However the rocky uphills were a little bit steep for a little person like me, and there was also a lot of bog, both of which required a degree of carry and push!

I own a giant iguane on a 13.5" frame (lovely little machine...) when I tried to carry it by putting my arm through the frame and placing the cross bar on my shoulder it didn't seem that easy.

Firstly the brake/gear cables are mounted underneath the cross bar with little metal brackets attached, these are just where my shoulder wanted to be as the forks were weighing down the front end.

Also the saddle kept hitting me round the head!

Hubby didn't have any probs with his 21". Is this just another symptom of being vertically challenged or is there a solution. Can you get some sort of shoulder pad or carry the bike another way.

Any ideas.....other that just stay in the pub!

thanks

Apr 2004
    Stay in the pub, have a pint for me, and then try it again!

A woman friend of mine, who is also of small stature, rests the under side of the nose of her saddle on her shoulder. This may work for you also.

If you watch a cyclo-crosser pick up her bike the frame is at an angle compared to her body, almost like it was a back pack. This way more of the top tube rests across the shoulder. This might also keep the saddle from bonkin' your noggin'.

OR you can have hubby carry both the bikes! Offer to carry the water bottles at least.

Cheers!
    Tad

Domestic Fowl
    I searched the internet and found teh pic below. This is another method for carrying your bike in a high position. It requires a bit more bicep strength.

I could not find a picture of my favored carryng position. I'll try to explain...
    Basically, I hook the nose of he seat over my shoulder from behind with the top tube under your arm. Your hand should be able to reach the down tube to help take some of the weight off your shoulder if needed. This works pretty well, but your ground clearance isn't quite as good as other methods, so it may not be optimal for climbing up big rocks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Scanner
    Stay in the pub, have a pint for me, and then try it again!

A woman friend of mine, who is also of small stature, rests the under side of the nose of her saddle on her shoulder. This may work for you also.
    My Stumpy doesn't allow me to get my arm/shoulder under the top tube either, so I use the same method that Scanner mentions above (resting the saddle nose on the shoulder strap of my hydration pack helps reduce the pain a bit), and I reach down with that arm and hold the down tube just in front of the bottom bracket (takes a bit of weight off the shoulder). One problem with this method is the bike is lower, and the front tire can hit on the ground if the climb is steep, so I use my free arm to lift the front end when needed.- unfortunately my common carry trail is a rocky scramble really, and I often need my free hand to keep moving up.

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Scanner
    OR you can have hubby carry both the bikes! Offer to carry the water bottles at least.
    Now that sound like something my GF would do.