upgrades that wont break the bank? or free upgrades! - my first post- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2014

upgrades that wont break the bank? or free upgrades! - my first post

just wondering what you guys have done or planning to do for bike upgrades that are relatively inexpensive. or some ideas that you have. thanks

> /dev/null 2&>1

Re: upgrades that wont break the bank? or free upgrades! - my first post

Top upgrade, and good bang for the buck, is usually a good set of tires. Stock tires very often suck.

Second best upgrade, if you can afford it, is a dropper post.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Tires and 'fit' parts like grips, seat, bars, pedals are good bets.
    I'd do a fork or wheels, and probably brakes too, before a dropper post on an entry/mid level bike myself.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

Fat-tired Roadie

Re: upgrades that wont break the bank? or free upgrades! - my first post

Swallow my pride and stick tires my friends are too good for on my commuters. Same with saddles. I seem to destroy saddles faster than I accumulate them, but I haven't paid for a tire for a commute bike in ages.

It's worth it to me to have a bike that fits my body well, and i believe in staying on top of maintenance. But upgrades per se are usually a bad deal, IMO. You'll never get the deal a manufacturer does, and just about any cheap parts channel can be used for a complete bike too. This last time, I bought something with the idea of being happy with the spec for everything's whole service life. That's actually working out pretty well.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    First upgrade I usually get is a smaller granny gear.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Best bang for the buck is to upgrade what you need, and only that. Aside from that, just ride the bike until something breaks, and then go from there.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.

banned
    Sep 2012
    A question that comes to mind is what type of bike do you have and what type of riding do you do and on what terrain? I agree with tires and contact parts for starters. After that it really depends on needs versus wants versus throwing money away! Have fun and you'll know what you want as time goes on if you stick with it.

Welcome to MTBR!

mtbr member
    Losing body weight is an upgrade that comes free

banned
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ManRam View Post
    Actuallllly.. You can save $$$ losing weight if you are not eating out, drinking beer, etc. so double win!

*Unless you are paying for something like a personal trainer, Jenny Craig, or those crazy expensive meal plans!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    One of my favorite is take an old tube and slice it so it's single layer. Then wrap the chain stay and use some electric tape around the final end. Protects the chain stay and keeps it quieter too.
    Cheaper than the velcro wraps too.

since 4/10/2009
    I will tackle the free upgrades question. Work in a shop, I'd say.

Make lots of bike riding friends.

I have picked up some parts for free this way. Usually it's nothing big. I did once get a free wheelset, though I had to install all new drive-side spokes, so it did cost me some money in the end.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ManRam View Post
    That is only an upgrade if you are overweight to begin with.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I have been riding since April, so I am very new. My two favorite upgrades are a set of ODI Rogue lock on grips and a set of Wellgo B132 platform pedals. The pedals actually had the biggest impact on my riding. Just find what works best for you.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I always do fit upgrades before I even ride. Stem, handlebar, lock grips, seat, pedals, and then tires and gearing. After that it's really what breaks unless something just sucks.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I don't really see fit stuff in the same way. Partly because a lot of the time, I end up putting on a cheaper stem or saddle than stock.

I'm also glad that I have my new bike's handlebars a chance. I'm replacing them in the next couple weeks, but I found that I liked wide. Just not riser.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    When I first started riding I couldn't figure out why I couldn't do wheelies since I've never had problems doing them on anything before. Switched out the lousy stock pedals to some more aggressive platform ones and my troubles were gone. Definitely can thank them For improving my riding abilities, feels like my feet are glued to them.
    So I'd say pedals are a pretty good cheap upgrade if your stock ones are lousy

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I don't spend a lot on the fit components, but i usually buy the same model bars and stems for my bikes. The bars I just get the truvativ stylo 680mm t20 riser bars. There a guy on ebay who sells them for like 16 bucks, and try to go as short as possible on the hussefelt stems, usually 60mm but my fat bike I did a 40 and its perfect. Those can be had under 20 bucks. I won't cut the steerer for a bit and play with stem height every week or so until I figure out where I want it. I don't really care about weight when it comes to something like a stem, cause you'll spend 50 bucks more to save 50 grams. I'd rather save the money for a good wheelset or fork or something that really makes a difference.

Pedals I go with cheap plastic bmx pedals, nothing fancy, but big enough to feel stable. I used to buy nice metal pedals, but after scraping my shins up over the years, I went to plastic. The teeth wear out a bit but if I replace them every few years it's not that big of a deal. Saddles depend on the bike.. I actually have a 6 dollar vader on my fs that's really comfortable. I wear gloves so i'm not too picky about grips.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I didn't realize it for a while, but my new bike shipped with 710s. I'd been riding 590s, so a pretty big change for me. I'm sold!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Stem and handlebars, chances are stock setup is not perfect for you and what you ride. You can easily get both stem and bar for around $60 in a wide variety of options (spend more money for less weight).

mtbr member
    Handlebar, stem & tires in my opinion can really transform a bike. It can cost as low as 100€ for the lot, so it's good vfm.

mtbr member
    # 1 for me would be Tubeless tires... converting wheels is easy and cheep. Running lower tire pressure can often turn average tires into good ones. The bike will feel lighter and ride better. Happy Trails
    Ride, Race or just polish it.... Do it till you smile!