Upgrade or buy a new bike- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Upgrade or buy a new bike

I picked up a secondhand Specialized Hardrock GX rigid last year and began riding. It's in nice shape and I'm fairly happy with it but find myself wanting a new bike. My budget for a new bike is about $350. The other option is upgrading my existing bike's factory components. What do you guys think? I'm very new to this so any input is greatly appreciated.

Pedro

fyi, I ride mostly paved trails but want to try getting into off-road trails.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    That is a good bike. Maintain it.

as far as upgrading... whether you wish to ride a rigid or a suspension fork, 350 will get you a complete and nice used bike with some looking.

local jackass
    i would upgrade and ride it until ur budget is better
    His
    2010 FSR XC
    2010 ALLEZ
    Hers
    2012 Myka 29'r
    2009 Cannondale Synapse 5
    Down East Cyclists

Bike builder
    Agree with the first reply. The Hardrock is a decent frame and if it fits you and you are happy with it then I would gradually go about upgrading the parts as the wear out.

For your 350 I would get an entry level suspension fork (something like a RockShox Tora or Marzocchi 22) as the difference even a basic fork makes off-road is incredible. Then if you've got V-brakes, I'd get a front disc brake (something like a Shimano SLX) and with whatever change you have left get a new chain and cassette if the old ones are worn. To save even more money, do all the work yourself, and don't bother with the bike shop.

Best of luck!
    Free bike maintenance videos every two weeks!
    BuildYourBicycle.com video podcast

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    It's a good idea to upgrade, one reason being the experience you will gain doing the work yourself, and learning how each component will affect your ride.

Also, keep in mind quality components can be brought along to your next bike (perhaps you find a smoking deal on a frame and fork in a few years).

Anyway, I think upgrading is a good route because it will help you learn about bikes and the way you ride, while you are doing it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    RockShox Tora 302 - $200
    Avid BB7 Brakes - $100
    New set of tires - $50

There ya go

Fat-tired Roadie
    Unless the bike had a suspension-corrected fork, sticking a suspension fork on it isn't a great idea. It'll raise the ride height and slacken the head tube angle, which will slow the handling way down, and it puts a longer lever on the front than the frame was designed to accept - you can break it that way.

I think to stretch your $350 the furthest, you'll actually do better looking for something from the last five years or so.

Maintain the bike you've got - it'll accept contemporary components. If it's got cantilever brakes, V-brakes would be an improvement. Appropriate tires for how you use it would be an improvement. There's not a whole lot else you can do for something that age if it came with a rigid fork.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Just do some maintenance and ride it. Find out exactly what it is lacking. Then ask the question again.

I would opt for saving more money and getting a newer used hardtail.
    Just get out and ride!

mtbr member
    If I were you and just riding paved trails for now I would hold off on any upgrades and looking for a used bike right now and save what you got and try to buckle down and put some money back for a leftover model hardtail. I have found that it is easy to save money for something that you really want. I just did that to buy road bike as well as a few upgrades for my MTB. Just my .02. Then you could have a MTB and a spare bike to loan to a friend to get them into biking...
    Check out my blog! The WVPedaler...
    Founding Member of THUMB MTB Club

2016 Trek Top Fuel
    2015 Fuji Altamira Cross

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Ya know, re-reading your post, I think you oughta take your current bike on the trails.

Decide if you even like riding offroad before you put all your cash into it. Maybe you won't even like it.

Maybe you'll decide its too much trouble to get to the trails. Etc etc.

If you keep your eyes open, 350 bucks can get you a pretty decent used bike, but you will have to do some maintainence to it (tires, cables, etc).

Members who have read this thread: 0