mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Universal bike rack?

OK so there's no such thing as a 'universal' bike rack, but I have two vehicles. The bike is a full suspension bike that I need to carry. One vehicle (truck) has a 2" hitch, the other has a trunk. So I'm thinking a truck mount rack for the car. Years ago I used a trunk mounted rack on the front of my truck. Sounds crazy, but If I get the universal type rack, I may do it again. Any suggestions for purchase are recommended. I looked into the Sea Sucker rack, but I'm not to keen on removing the front wheel every time I go for a ride. Also, one of the vehicles has oxidized paint, and may not hold the vacuum cups properly.

Thanks,

Jake

mtbr member
    Why not put a hitch on the other car then get a hitch rack that can be converted to a 2" hitch when need?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    A hitch and a hitch rack are about the same cost as two racks?

Jake

mtbr member
    The rack can be pricey depending what you want. Hitch isn't too bad though. They seem to be around 100$ depending on the car. Hitch rack can be moved from car to car so that's a big plus. It came in handy when I've gotten new cars or using someone else's. They can also be touch less.

mtbr member
    I purchased my hitch rack for my truck, but then I decided to use my MDX, which didn't have a hitch installed. After trying a few trunk mounts, nothing beats the sturdiness of a hitch rack, especially a platformed one. A good hitch rack will run you around $400.00 or more if you want to carry 3-4 bikes like me, so it was a good investment to go ahead and put a hitch on my MDX. I ordered a Curt Class 3 from Ebay for $150.00 and installed it myself so now I can use it on either car.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I'm really liking the 1up rack. Should fit both vehicles if I get a hitch for the car.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Buy a hitch for the other car and a 1upUSA rack. I have a hitch on my wife's car and can use it with the small hitch, along with being able to add the adapter and use it in my truck's (or any other) 2" hitch. Hitch racks are the way to go. 1up IMO is the best out there.

It surprises me how many people buy janky ass bike racks to even haul around nice bikes. You are talking $300 for a rack that will most likely out last any bike you put on it. I have had mine for 5 years and it still looks and works like new. You won't regret it.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by kazlx View Post
    It surprises me how many people buy janky ass bike racks to even haul around nice bikes.
    No joke. I used a trunk rack once for a long trip when I needed to carry 2 extra bikes (I had room for 2 on the roof). They are fine if your car is a POS and you don't care about the paint (which mine was then). I still have roof racks because I have to have something to haul my canoe, but I don't use them for bikes anymore because it's such a PITA to lift/fasten bikes on top of vehicles as tall or taller than I am.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    They ruin the paint, they ruin the bikes. The 1up rack is easy to lift by myself and can be installed in under a minute, including carrying it out from the garage. It holds the wheels and adjusts from my bmx bike, to my trail bike, DH bike and beach cruisers. Not that the Yakima or Thule racks don't work, but they definitely don't compare....

As anyone that travels with bikes can usually attest to, the easiest was to severely scar a bike is to have it rub on a rack or another bike for hours on end.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    the 1up is on the way

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    You won't regret it. It looks even nicer in person than in does in the pictures. I just take the pivots apart every so often and put a little waterproof grease on them. Keeps the arms moving smooth. I think the best part about the rack is it mounts very solidly and doesn't flop around. Also, if you get extra bike add-ons, they get higher, which is ideal for smaller cars. I had a Thule and it would drag in and out of every driveway.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakey Jake View Post
    A hitch and a hitch rack are about the same cost as two racks?

Jake
    I had a trunk rack for a while but put a hitch on my car instead. My gf's full suspension bike is so small that even with the seat all the way up and the cross bar adapter (that goes from the seat post to the headset) it barely fit on the trunk rack.

I got the hitch for about $130 with free shipping, installed it myself, and got a rack for about $170 that the wheels of the bike sit in so it is pretty much universal for all bikes at that point. PM me if you want brands/links.

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakey Jake View Post
    the 1up is on the way
    Holy crap. You went from trunk rack and screw buying hitches to buying the premium bike rack on the market? Well played, you won't be sorry.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    It answered most every concern I had.

mtbr member

Re: Universal bike rack?

Meh, I just trunk it. I been wanting to get a hitch installed though.

Universal bike rack?-uploadfromtaptalk1383116343608.jpg

Sent from my C5502 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    What kind of trunk rack are you using? You bike looks heavy but seem ok on it. I'm looking for something that wouldn't damage my new BMW

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by SocalTeknique View Post
    Meh, I just trunk it. I been wanting to get a hitch installed though.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1383116343608.jpg 
Views:	7067 
Size:	114.5 KB 
ID:	842849

What type of trunk rack is this the one on your Mustang?

mtbr member

Re: Universal bike rack?

Quote Originally Posted by wants2ride View Post
    What type of trunk rack is this the one on your Mustang?
    Just a Schwinn rack I got for $40 at Target. It holds my Kona pretty well even on highways. Wouldn't recommend using it on your new BMW though. You will get scratches.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000AAYC7C

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by SocalTeknique View Post
    Just a Schwinn rack I got for $40 at Target. It holds my Kona pretty well even on highways. Wouldn't recommend using it on your new BMW though. You will get scratches.

Schwinn 2-Bike Trunk Mount Rack:Amazon:Sports & Outdoors

Thanks...I guess I will keep searching for something suitable for my car.