Uh Oh- Mtbr.com

Thread: Uh Oh

mtbr member

Upset Uh Oh

Ok here's the problem I was riding home after school yesterday and the whole pedal and arm assembly fell off my bike . Any suggestions on what to do I have 90 days to return it. I've only had it for 15 days.
    Specialized hardrock sport 29er Disk
    givin to me. 26in. next brand hardtail

Disgruntled Peccary
    On the non-drive side? Sounds like it wasn't properly torqued.
    mike

AZ
    banned
    Return it , the bolt that fixes the crankarn to the BB spindle came out , probably damaged the splines on the crankarm .

mtbr member
    Do ya think if I was to put thread lock on it and screw it back on would it be fine. and also My freekin rear shock is squeking non stop so it would not hurt my feelings to take it back and trade for another one

AZ
    banned
    Usually dosent work the second time , damage is already done .

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Take it back and ask for a new bike as the damage to crank arms and possibly to bottom brackets are already done. Who knows what else they screwed up taking it out of the box. After you get the new one, you should do a full inspection or ask someone to do so. Unfortunately, you get what you pay for.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeyR
    Do ya think if I was to put thread lock on it and screw it back on would it be fine. and also My freekin rear shock is squeking non stop so it would not hurt my feelings to take it back and trade for another one
    Return it. Whether or not you get a new one from Walmart is up to you, but beware that the new bike may have the same or different issues.

Those bikes are often not put together very well at the store. At the very least, if you get a new one from Walmart, have it thoroughly checked out by a competent bike mechanic before riding it. That would prevent a repeat of the crank arm falling off.
    Don't take anything I say seriously.

AZ
    banned
    /\ X 2 , take it to your LBS and pay them to assemble it correctly , otherwise you are likely to have continued problems .

meow meow
    i think a walmart shock is always gonna make noise.

mtbr member
    The problem is I did take it to a bike shop right after I bought it.

AZ
    banned
    Better yet , return it , get your money back and put it towards an entry level hardtail from your LBS . Just sayin .

~Disc~Golf~
    Take BSO back, get real bike from CL, have it tuned if necessary at LBS.
    EOS, TTYL, LOL, IDK-WTF
    Honestly... ahh I give up

MTB skillz = NADA
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS
    Better yet , return it , get your money back and put it towards an entry level hardtail from your LBS . Just sayin .
    +1 on this.
    Since I don't like writing, I don't have a blog to pimp. This space for rent.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the comments any hardtail bikes that are under 400.oo dollars

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    Thanks for the comments any hardtail bikes that are under 400.oo dollars

Specialized Hardrock
    $390 new....can prolly find better deals on last years models....

pretty much any big name brand will have a nice, sturdy, well put together trail ready hardtail within your budget......
    Click Here for Forum Rules

mtbr member
    any full suspension bikes

MTB skillz = NADA
    Not worth buying. Go Hardtail! Decent Suspension costs $200+ used. You won't find a FS bike for $400 or less unless it is junk.

Look at the link below to get an idea of why you can't get a FS for that cheap.

Price Point Selection of Rear Shocks

AZ
    banned

The only FS rides at this price point are going to be used , and probably not worth the asking price . IMHO you are best seved with a good quality hardtail , much better value than FS .

mtbr member
    should there be any grease sitting right here- it's where the pedal crank arm meets the frame

~Disc~Golf~
    should there be any grease sitting right here- it's where the pedal crank arm meets the frame
    ?? where?
    the crank arm should not meet the frame.

mtbr member
    where the crank goes onto the spindel or whatever you call it.

mtbr member
    what about hardtails with disk brakes

~Disc~Golf~
    where the crank goes onto the spindel or whatever you call it.
    well, maybe...
    some say that those interfaces should be dry-fitted so the crank doesn't over 'stretch' (? - does that make sense?), while some others say you should use a little grease to prevent the crank from binding before a proper seat.
    I can see the merits to both arguments, but I am in the 'greaser' side of the camp.

So...I say yes, it's ok

AZ
    banned
    Grease on the spindle/crankarm interface is normal , as far as hardtails w/ disck brakes your going to probably look at used bikes to make that happen . FWIW Vee brakes work very well until they get wet or muddy , you learn to manage it .

Picture Unrelated
    No grease on square shaped bottom bracket spindles ever. They're a press fit and you don't want it to press too far. They have no end, and it's just a constant taper, so it won't "seat" in this case.

And always grease round shaped BB spindles. This is the one you want to seat, and if it's not greased, it may not seat properly or seize.

Don't buy a full suspension bike in your budget. You're going to want to get a nice big name brand from a bike specialty shop.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Grease on the spindle/crankarm interface is normal , as far as hardtails w/ disck brakes your going to probably look at used bikes to make that happen . FWIW Vee brakes work very well until they get wet or muddy , you learn to manage it .
    ^drunk? disck? VEE brakes? Your losing it AZ

Mickey, Just go into your local shop and find a bike in your budget. All bikes around that price will be similar so it's best to find a good shop to buy from, rather than shop around for a better bike. As far as disc brakes vs. V-brakes, I'd go with V-brakes in that price range as you will get better components than a bike with disc in that range. V-brakes work very well when properly set-up and are easier to maintain.

Whatever you do, please return that bike to WalMart and warn all your friends. Have fun riding a nice bike for a change!

Quote Originally Posted by zebrahum
    No grease on square shaped bottom bracket spindles ever.....
    uness you're running the best...Phil Wood:
    Is it recommended that grease be applied to the axle taper of my Phil Wood bottom bracket before installing cranks?
    We recommend that a light film of grease be applied to the taper. This is only a recommendation for Phil Wood bottom brackets, as our taper was designed with grease in mind.
    also...there are others who think a thin layer of grease works well for all square tapers....i am in that camp....and have never had a single problem.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mount Dora Cycles
    ^drunk? disck? VEE brakes? Your losing it AZ

Mickey, Just go into your local shop and find a bike in your budget. All bikes around that price will be similar so it's best to find a good shop to buy from, rather than shop around for a better bike. As far as disc brakes vs. V-brakes, I'd go with V-brakes in that price range as you will get better components than a bike with disc in that range. V-brakes work very well when properly set-up and are easier to maintain.

Whatever you do, please return that bike to WalMart and warn all your friends. Have fun riding a nice bike for a change!

So , are you suggesting that vee brakes work as well wet or dry ?

V's are quieter wet..fer sure.....and you get to the bottom of the hill faster.....

mtbr member
    May 2009
    V-brakes do work just fine for most people in wet conditions. Just upgrade the factory pads to some Koolstop or something similar. No, if you are bombing down the side of a mountain, chances are you'd want disc brakes. But I doubt he is if he is shopping at WalMart for a bike. Thanks
    Last edited by Mount Dora Cycles; 04-21-2010 at 02:50 PM.

MTB skillz = NADA
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM
    V's are quieter wet..fer sure.....and you get to the bottom of the hill faster.....

V's are AWESOME in a drizzle down some steep down hill trail. Especially V's with worn out pads. Then when your feet slip off the pedals at the bottom of the hill....it makes for great fun. GREAT FUN!

AZ
    banned
    Especially when drunk or losing it .

mtbr member
    May 2009
    If you read, I said very well...not AS WELL

AZ
    banned
    There is a preponderance of anecdotal evidence that suggests otherwise . In my own experience I'd have to say that if you ride vee's in the wet , your going to become a very proficiant bike handler . That or your going to get very good at crashing .

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Forge Sawback 5xx. Supposedly, Forge has great customer service.

If you don't mind buying sight unseen and doing a little assembly yourself, it'd probably be your best bang-for-the-buck purchase.

It has disc brakes, a 100mm travel Rockshox fork (albeit a very entry level one), a decent frame, etc.etc.

EDIT: Oh, they're sold through Target.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tsmosher
    Forge Sawback 5xx. Supposedly, Forge has great customer service.

If you don't mind buying sight unseen and doing a little assembly yourself, it'd probably be your best bang-for-the-buck purchase.

It has disc brakes, a 100mm travel Rockshox fork (albeit a very entry level one), a decent frame, etc.etc.

EDIT: Oh, they're sold through Target.

This would be a good option , many good reviews from owners .

mtbr member
    Ok Today I'm taking my bike to the bike shop. They are very good at fixing bikes. the bikes that they sell there are 3-7000 dollars and hopefully I'm just gonna get it fixed. DEPENDING on cost If it cost more to fix it than a new bike I'm probably going to just buy a new bike

mtbr member
    Ok Today I'm taking my bike to the bike shop. They are very good at fixing bikes. the bikes that they sell there are 3-7000 dollars and hopefully I'm just gonna get it fixed. DEPENDING on cost If it cost more to fix it than a new bike I'm probably going to just buy a new bike
    Not to be rude, but didn't you say you've only had it 15 days and 90 days to return it. Why don't you just return it?

mtbr member
    Because I contacted walmart and they said that they couldn't take it back they said that they would fix it themselves. And so I figured screw it I'll just pay to get it fixed. then once I thought about it, I was going to start upgrading it sooner or later anyway so why not start now.

MTB skillz = NADA
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Shackelford
    Not to be rude, but didn't you say you've only had it 15 days and 90 days to return it. Why don't you just return it?

Yes! More than likely, you are going to be fixing every single moving part in the very near future. Just return it, since it is obviously broken, and start over with a new ride.

mtbr member
    Just forgo the repair expense and return the bike like everyone is suggesting.

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by zebrahum
    No grease on square shaped bottom bracket spindles ever. They're a press fit and you don't want it to press too far. They have no end, and it's just a constant taper, so it won't "seat" in this case.
    Yeah you are wrong, according to Sheldon Brown and Jobst Brandt:

"The claim that a greased spindle will enlarge the bore of a crank and ultimately reduce chainwheel clearance is also specious, because the crank cannot operate in a plastic stress level that would soon split the crank in use. However, increased engagement depth (hole enlargement) may occur without lubricant, because installation friction could ream the hole."

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/i...ng-cranks.html

Hi.
    Because I contacted walmart and they said that they couldn't take it back they said that they would fix it themselves. And so I figured screw it I'll just pay to get it fixed. then once I thought about it, I was going to start upgrading it sooner or later anyway so why not start now.
    A bike from Wal-Mart is not worth upgrading, since you can go on craigslist and buy a better bike for $100.

Don't waste your time with department store garbage - get a different bike and be happy.

MTB skillz = NADA
    You are just going to be throwing good money at bad. In the end, you will be better off to get out of that bike in anyway possible and starting over.

mtbr member
    well I'm just gonna get use one for right now.

banned
    Because I contacted walmart and they said that they couldn't take it back they said that they would fix it themselves.
    I would really press the issue and go up the chain to a manager (assuming you didn't already). I wouldn't trust an offer to fix something by the same outfit that borked the assembly in the first place. You're lucky some other assembly problem didn't cause you injury.

mtbr member

Seem to work just fine. Or do I need to make this my avatar.

Uh Oh-mountainbiking-018.jpg

Walmart will take the bike back, take it in, spew on about how your life was put in danger and demand to talk with a manager, be prick and you will get your money back.

Decent bike for 329 if you have a KHS dealer nearby.

http://www.khsbicycles.com/04_alite_100_10.htm

You will be just fine with an entry level good bike, nearly everyone I ride with bought entry level bikes and have had them for well over ten years.

AZ
    banned

mtbr member
    Lets be clear, I dont give a ratts ass about that thread or anything else, Vbreaks can and do work just fine and somehow people magically got along until disks came out. now all of a sudden if you do not have disks "you just cannot ride" and unfortuantly newbies are put in the "oh ****, this base model bike without disks will not work" position, come on man, your smarter than that.

AZ
    banned
    Dude , I never said they were unridable , I did however say that they work very well until things got wet or muddy , simply put , many , many people agree that the performance is dimished in wet conditions . I really dont understand why you dispute this , but everyone is free to their own opinion , your just happens to be the minority opinion .

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blurr
    Lets be clear, I dont give a ratts ass about that thread or anything else, Vbreaks can and do work just fine and somehow people magically got along until disks came out. now all of a sudden if you do not have disks "you just cannot ride" and unfortuantly newbies are put in the "oh ****, this base model bike without disks will not work" position, come on man, your smarter than that.

Facts: Disc brakes work better than V-brakes in wet conditions. V-brakes work better in dry conditions than in wet conditions. Your subjective determination about which brake system is best is just that - subjective. You probably have never used disc brakes in wet conditions, and therefore cannot comment on which system is better...hence why you don't give a "ratts ass" about that thread - because you cannot contribute.

That aside, you're right in saying that mechanical disk brakes on low-end bikes is a marketing scheme - the system adds weight to the bike and is absolutely unnecessary for the average type of person who buys a department store bike (e.g. someone new to the sport.)

mtbr member
    Actually every single bike I have ever had, had v-brakes. only reason I asked about disk brakes was becuase after having this bike i love disk brakes they seem to work better wet. after riding years in the rain with v-brakes and having no stopping power what so ever I would recommend disk brakes to anyone

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jtmartino
    Facts: Disc brakes work better than V-brakes in wet conditions. V-brakes work better in dry conditions than in wet conditions. Your subjective determination about which brake system is best is just that - subjective. You probably have never used disc brakes in wet conditions, and therefore cannot comment on which system is better...hence why you don't give a "ratts ass" about that thread - because you cannot contribute.
    Yea never have.
    Uh Oh-mountainbiking-17.jpg

That aside, you're right in saying that mechanical disk brakes on low-end bikes is a marketing scheme - the system adds weight to the bike and is absolutely unnecessary for the average type of person who buys a department store bike (e.g. someone new to the sport.)
    The point being as in the other thread V brakes can and do work, and have worked for years and years and suddenly, they are not good enough however I do agree the weight marketing thing is out of control, but hey, it gives ya'll something to talk about . just get out and ride.
    Last edited by Blurr; 04-22-2010 at 12:50 PM.

meh...i sport canti's on my carpet fiber 'cross rig.....so there

Hi.
    Yea never have.

Cool, glad to see you're getting use out of two different setups.

Got a little snow up there in Montana this time of year?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jtmartino
    Cool, glad to see you're getting use out of two different setups.
    first picture I posted was a friends bike, second is mine, Im a snob like that
    Im not saying the two are truly comparable, IM merely saying that they are and have been ride-able and it should not be a factor for a new rider to shy away from a starting bike.

Got a little snow up there in Montana this time of year?
    Actually no not really, in this area we are way, way behind snowpack but we did get some, and a few inches a couple of days ago too. Unless we get some typhoon rainstorms should be one hell of a fire season, bonus i get to make a shitload of money, bad part is I do not get to enjoy yet another summer and I hate the ash.
    So that means more playing when the weather sucks for me.

mtbr member
    My Kona has mechanical disks, my roommates Kona has hydraulic disks, and my brothers Specialized has rim brakes. After riding all of them, the hydraulic definitely have the most power. But until it gets wet and muddy, I don't really notice a difference between my mech disks and my brothers rim brakes, they both do a great job stopping whenever we need.
    Saying that, I would still go for disks, just because things do get wet (giggity) and bent rims are annoying as sh!t with rims.

No longer a hardtailkid.
    You can get a better bike with V-Brakes than a bike with Disc brakes for $400. Just throwin that out there. The discs won't be very good at that price UNLESS the bike is on closeout and marked down from $600 or so....at least based on my experience.

mtbr member
    You could always go this route http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...ne_600HT07.htm
    I've bought 3 bikes from them and have been satisfied with all.

mtbr member
    ok I took my bike to the bike shop yesterday and he told me it can't be fixed. so I'm taking it back and for 580 dollars I'm buying this Specialized Hardrock sport 29er Disk brakes
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Oh my goodness, your new bike is the Tits!

MTB skillz = NADA
    ok I took my bike to the bike shop yesterday and he told me it can't be fixed. so I'm taking it back and for 580 dollars I'm buying this Specialized Hardrock sport 29er Disk brakes
    Nice...you will be much happier with that bike in the long run. I recently bought the 29er Rockhopper Expert, and I love it!

Great Choice!

mtbr member
    You will be a lot happier with the new ride.

Every time I see this thread pop up, I think "Ruh-Roh!"

Don't take anything I say seriously.

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by Oracle7775
    You will be a lot happier with the new ride.

Every time I see this thread pop up, I think "Ruh-Roh!"

ah-he-he-he-he

like zoics scoob, ya got a bowl!

Northeastern Rider
    Feb 2009
    Mike,
    Did you come by the shop after school today and pick up the helmet I left for you?
    "The original concept of freeriding was that there was no set course, goals or rules to abide by. "
    Mountain Riders

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Taking it back where? A few posts ago you stated Walmart wouldn't take it back and give you your money back but would fix it.

mtbr member

Lemme guess, the kind sales man at the bikeshop where the specialized is said your walmart bike cant be fixed

Take the bike back to walmart, get your money, at least get it fixed and worst case, sell it for half of what you paid for it. and then buy the hardrock

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wi_bigfoot
    Taking it back where? A few posts ago you stated Walmart wouldn't take it back and give you your money back but would fix it.
    yeah but the bike shop I took it to wrote a note for wal-mart telling them to take it back and for me to return it. so They best take it back.

i also unicycle
    Jan 2007
    Lemme guess, the kind sales man at the bikeshop where the specialized is said your walmart bike cant be fixed
    it might not be able to be fixed, at least not for any reasonable sum. i run in to this on a nearly weekly basis. so many things are a little broken that once you start fixing one thing, to correctly fix it you have to fix 10 other things, and soon the repair bill gets huge in a hurry. chain rings bent, der hanger tweaked, wheels not quite round? easily could be the case out of the box, add in crappily adjusted shifting and braking and soon the repairs are more than the bike cost new.
    mtbr says you should know: i work in a bike shop.
    bikes & beers (on my blog) http://idontrideenough.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Wal mart will take anything back, the customer is always right. You just have to talk to the right person. Tell them you want a refund on the bike that fell apart while you were riding it. If they dont want to give you a refund ask them if they would prefer to talk to a personal injury lawyer. It really shouldnt be that hard to get them to take back a defective bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    The only time you'll get a refund from walmart is when you have the original receipt and if you don't you'll end up with a gift certs for the value of the bike.
    2000 something DB Sorrento
    2010 Motobecane 29Pro SL

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bRyAZSig228
    The only time you'll get a refund from walmart is when you have the original receipt and if you don't you'll end up with a gift certs for the value of the bike.

Depending on individual store policy , if you paid with a credit or debit card , they may refund your purchase in cash .

Probably drunk right now

Lemme guess too....

Take the bike back to walmart, get your money, at least get it fixed and worst case, sell it for half of what you paid for it. and then buy the hardrock

The bike shop gave him exactly the correct answer. If a square taper bb/crank arm comes loose and is ridden, it can't be fixed.
    JPark - 3.5- don't listen to dremer

No longer a hardtailkid.
    Nice decison! Did you buy it yet?

mtbr member
    just got back from the bike shop. I love it.

~Disc~Golf~
    hmmm, my monitor must be messed up....
    I can't see any pics

P.S. - change your sig

AZ
    banned
    The bike aparently has a cloaking device .

mtbr member
    I'm Gonna start a new thread! hold on one minute

mtbr member
    no lie, i lol'ed the entire 2 pages of this thread.

Members who have read this thread: 0