Two options..need advice- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Two options..need advice

HI
    So I rode a GF Cobia and a Spec FSR XC at my LBS and loved them both. The Cobia is right at my price limit of 1000, and the FSR is higher at 1500...what I'm trying to decide is whether its worth stretching for the FSR...
    One other option would be getting an FSR with v brakes for around 1000 and upgrading to disc later...anyway, I cannot decide what to do...thoughts?

T.W.O.
    If you are going to buy I suggest disc. Full suspension is a better choice IMO. You might want to check classified or CL. good deal come by all the time.

mtbr member
    well it look like the fsrxc and fsrxComp are pretty much the same except the brakes,

from looking at the specs, you will need to get a new front wheel or disc hub, and brakes to do disk conversion, the rear hub is disk ready.

so if you can get the fsrxc(with v brakes) for $1000, you can upgrade to disk later for less than $500, or spend $500 and get better brakes or better wheels than what you get with the fsrxcomp (disks)
    2009 Giant Yukon FX

No longer a hardtailkid.
    Why not the Gary Fisher Tasajara? If your LBS has Gary Fisher bikes, you should consider their whole range of products, not just that one in my humble opinion. Plus, the Tassajara has hydraulic discs. It's only $149.00 more than the Cobia. Better yet, lock at the Piranha, which also has Hydraulic discs, and is $71 less than the Cobia. Check out the GF website and explore your options. There are lots of them.

As for Specialized, check out the RockHopper expert disc. It is the top of the line for the RockHoppers, and is under $1,000. Look also at the P.1 from Specialized, which has disc brakes and O.K. components considering it is only $590.

Don't let your money burn a hole in your pocket. Spend lots of time researching bikes in your price range. You should also check out Trek, because I believe they are a partner of Gary Fisher Bikes and you could probably order one rather easily through the LBS.

Look on websites such as JensonUSA to see some bikes on sale.

Best of luck and keep scoping out these forums for similar threads that have been resolved.

Andy

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Just bought a new leftover 09 FSR XC for $950 at my LBS, and upgraded the brakes to disc (BB7's) for about $100 extra. both wheels were disc ready. Very happy with the set up. Rides great. Especially for the price.

No longer a hardtailkid.
    *yells "PICTURES!!!!!!!! NOW!!!!!!!!!" at the top of lungs*

*whispers "please"*

Members who have read this thread: 0