tubeless conversion- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2010

We the people ... tubeless conversion

Trying out the caffelatex tubeless conversion on my spec. Hardrock 29"(sport/disc). It has Alex rims and Spec. fasttrack on rear and Spec. 2bliss captain control on front. The rims don't identify themselves as tubeless ready or not, but seem to have a "hook"/edge at the bead. I had to smooth out the bead/edge at the rim's seam (there was a noticable"notch there, it felt alot smoother after hitting it with some fine sandpaper) The kit's instructions recommend trying to air up before adding the sealant, to make sure the tire will seat, so I did, and the tire popped right into place...but it leaks slightly at the rim's seam, and bigtime out of the valve hole,around the repl.presta valve. Is this normal? Will adding the sealant cure these leaks? (I know..."that's why they call it that") I just don't want to spend another $15-20 on more sealant right away. My main concern is the replacement valve dealie. the rims valve hole is schraeder size and the rubber base of the repl. valve seems small and pulls into the oversize hole. Any helpful input appreciated...sorry for length of post!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Try putting a piece of heavy duty tape (duct or electrical, etc) over the hole before putting the new valve through.

KC Weekend Warrior
    Huww is right - Gorilla tape is what I used
    '12 Giant Trance X1, Mavic Crossride Wheels, StansTubeless, SPD Pedals

Picture Unrelated
    As for the leak at the tire bead, you probably just need to install the sealant and get it into your leaking areas. Check out Stan's site:

http://www.notubes.com/support_detailed.php

All the information is good but some of it is Stan's system specific. You can skip down to section 5: Sealing your tire. Shaking and laying the tire on it's side I have found to be important parts of the tubeless conversion process. You need to get that sealant all over the place, don't be afraid to use the maximum of sealant or even a little more for your first installation.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

Members who have read this thread: 0