Tube Question- Mtbr.com

Thread: Tube Question

mtbr member

Tube Question

My bike currently has kenda nevegal's 2.10 and since I ride 90% on pavement im looking at replacing them with a light durable road tire for under $30 each. Im not sure what size or which tire I should go with but does the width dictate whether or not I need new tubes?? Btw I do most of my riding in Nyc.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    09 C/D Caffeine F4

Can't feel my legs
    I have a set of Kenda Kwest in 1.95". Great tires, and you wont need to change tubes. The wire bead version is cheap also, around $15 each.

mtbr member
    Cool! Now what is the difference between a wire bead and a regular bead? Sorry
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    09 C/D Caffeine F4

No good in rock gardens..
    If the slicks or semi slicks are really skinny, like 1.5" then it can be a PITA getting a regular 1.95-2.25 tube to fit in without pinching. For a run of the mil 1.9 or bigger semi slick, your existing regular sized tubes should do the job.

Wire bead - the inner lips of the tyre, where it fits the rim, have a continuous run of fine wire around their circumference which holds the tyre on the rim, and the tyre itself holds its shape when off the rim, and cannot be folded. You see them hanging on hooks in the bike shop.

Kevlar - the wire is replaced with a kevlar or aramid fibre. The tyres are often quite floppy when dismounted and are commonly sold in a rolled up or folded up state either in a box or a card.

Kevlar bead tyres will be a bit lighter than their identical wire bead counterpart, and a bit more expensive.
    Less isn't MOAR

mtbr member
    Thanks for the explanation Side. I ended up buying new tubes because I went with the conti sport contact's 1.6.
    09 C/D Caffeine F4

Members who have read this thread: 0