Tri bikes...- Mtbr.com

Thread: Tri bikes...

mtbr member

Tri bikes...

Hello all!

So my friend is looking for a tri bike. Doesn't really have to be a "tri" bike just something she can use for a couple of triathlons to see if she likes it. Any suggestions? Any links on entry level tri bikes (budget in mind, of course. I'd say under $500)? I'd really like for her to get a mountain bike... which, technically, you can use for both road and trails... but still thinking about it.

Thanks!

AZ
    banned
    Try the tri bike b.b.

i also unicycle
    Jan 2007
    $500 for a tri bike? or even a road bike? start looking used. even cheap road bikes start $600-ish for a pretty cheap one, and tri bikes are closer to $1200. or post on a non-mtb forum and you might get a better response.
    mtbr says you should know: i work in a bike shop.
    bikes & beers (on my blog) http://idontrideenough.blogspot.com/

start at your local craigslist for a womens road bike, with the max price of $500. might get lucky. not gonna find a decent new road bike for that price. remember you can always buy snap-on aero bars and a angled seat post to give the rider a more aero position. though if 'she's just seeing if she likes it'....she probably won't be going nearly fast enough to gain much from being hunched over like that.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Agreed, no need for a tri specific bike when she is starting out. I have done many sprint triathlons and lots of newbies use mountain and hybrid bikes. I was at a sprint tri this morning to cheer on a friend and there were many newbs on non-tri bikes but also a lot of serious folks on $3k-$5k tri bikes that probably regretted having them on the bike leg which is EXTREMELY hilly. Very hard to climb out of the saddle with cowhorns and tri bars. Any way, buy a cheap road bike or a mountain bike and put some slicks on it. Don't bother with a tri bike unless she is committed to it long term and willing to spend $1-$2k for a bike and getting professionally fitted.

mtbr member
    unless one is a dedicated triathlete its silly to buy a tri bike. buy a decent road bike instead.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the advice guys...

Can't feel my legs
    Quote Originally Posted by scoutcat
    unless one is a dedicated triathlete its silly to buy a tri bike. buy a decent road bike instead.
    This + clip on aero bars =

Members who have read this thread: 0