Trek test ride- Mtbr.com

Thread: Trek test ride

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Trek test ride

Test rode the Trek Superfly 100 Elite today at Trek demo days on my local trails. Carbon, 29er, full suspension (about $5000). My current ride is a Scott Scale 29 Comp hard tail ($850). I have to say the Trek shifted much better and the brakes were almost dangerous they stopped so well - Shimano XT components all around. But...the bike felt unsettled, steering was very quick and front end was light. I am sure if I was an aggressive rider I would find this good. However to be honest I like the handling of my Scott better and there was not a huge difference in hard tail vs FS in terms of ride. I looked up the specs and the Trek has 71 degree head angle and the Scott has 69.5 so more slack. I want to try more FS bikes but would like something a little more stable. Any suggestions or comments?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    its more about control than the ride.

mtbr member
    hey there, I was at Big Creek on Saturday too with some buddies.

I can't remember now but they should have had a Fuel EX there to try - I believe these have a slacker HA and a some more travel - probably not as lightweight of a solution as the Superfly was though.. That Scott's a nice lightweight Race XC/Trail bike so if you're not hitting those downhills at Blankets or Big Creek maybe you could stick with the HT? unless you're looking for an excuse for a new bike that is

I don't know much about the selection of carbon bikes so hopefully some others will post in here..

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    The Superfly is primarily designed to be an XC/Race and Enduro bike. The suspension is designed and set up to take the edge off the rough stuff and that's about it. The geometry is set for quick handling, and so on.

From your description of your impressions of the Superfly, you likely should have demoed the Rumblefish. 69.8 degree head angle, a little shorter reach, a bit slower handling but quite stable at speed. And the 120mm of travel would have made a more noticeable difference in the ride as well. The Fish is designed for aggressive XC/Trail and light AM, and is a resonable candidate for Endurance racing, though a tad on the portly side. The big draw back to the Fish is frame material, no carbon model, if that is important to you.

I would suggest getting the geometry numbers for your Scale and start looking for something that is close to those numbers, then test riding. The problem with 29ers right now is that manufacturers are at the point where 26" MTBs were 20 years ago, they're still sorting out geometry. It's starting to settle in now, but there are still manufacturers that are playing with it to see what works best. And of course you still have the differences between manufacturers, like Trek, 9er, etc., that have pretty much decided on their "numbers" for a given bike. And they all ride different.

So keep looking, not helpful I know. All you'll get from each individual is an opinion on the bike that may fit your needs. So take it all with a grain of salt. IMHO I think the Rumblefish would likely work for you. But I don't know "everything" that you are looking for or prefer.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"