Trek GF Marlin 29er vs. Giant Talon 29er 2 vs. Specialized Hardrock 29er?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Trek GF Marlin 29er vs. Giant Talon 29er 2 vs. Specialized Hardrock 29er?

Hey Everybody... been lurking this forum for a while and am loving it so far... lots of great info.

I rode like crazy in college, but have been out of practice for a long while and am getting back into it now that all my kids are finally off training wheels and are wanting to hit some paths and light trails... and at 35, riding for fitness is much better on my knees than running nowadays.

I'm looking for an entry-level 29er hardtail (4 kids, a wife, and me = 6 bikes, so my budget is about $750 max) and after a few trips to my LBS and lots of research on the web, I have it narrowed down to 3 bikes:

Trek Gary Fisher Marlin 29er
    Giant Talon 29er 2
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 29er

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...dtails/marlin/
    http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/...11/6966/43134/
    http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...cname=Mountain

Any thoughts? Advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Back off man... I'm a scientist

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    i rode the GF marlin and the Hardrock 29er... i wound up with the hardrock... i just liked the way it handled, seemed to be a bit smoother overall..

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I have rode all three bikes. I choose the Gary Fisher Mamba, same frame but better components.

If you like all three try renting one for a longer ride to see how it will handle. The main thing is to feel comfortable while riding.

Are you buying at a LBS? If so be sure you get a fit done before you take it home. Also be sure it includes a saddle fit too. I had to go back to get my done.

mtbr member
    I have a GF marlin and it is one of my favorite bikes. The only thing about it is the suntour fork that weighs more than everthing else on the bike combined haha. I want to replace it but the market for G2 geometry forks is'nt very big yet

mtbr member
    I do realize that all three are entry-level bikes with entry-level components and are quite similar... and I most definitely do plan to ride all three. I rode the Giant this week and will be testing the Marlin and Hardrock this weekend. I'm just wondering if any one of them would better serve me as a base bike that I could customize and add to as time goes by. I don't plan to go crazy with custom components... eventually, I'll just upgrade to a better bike and give this one to one of my kids. But I'm sure I'll tinker with the brakes and handle bars and stem and saddle and pedals, etc, etc.
    Back off man... I'm a scientist

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    They are all about the same, go with the one that fits and feels good. Two things to look at upgrading first will be pedals and the saddle(unless the takeoff saddle fits).

"2 Wycked"
    Just picked up a brand new marlin 29er, I love it, it rides great and it wasn't too expensive. I am in the same boat, I have a wife and 3 kids and knew that if I bought a bike I would have to buy them bikes too. For me, it was between the specialized hardrock 29er and the marlin 29er. I am brand new to mountain biking so I couldn't really tell the difference between the two bikes so I went with, in my opinion, the one with the better paint scheme. I really like the paint on the marlin.
    Ahhhh...Ahhhh....it's the hammy, it's the hammy!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I have a Hardrock Sport 29er and for the money (700) I love it!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I have hardrock 29er, great bike but had to replace fork and wheelset. Big difference.

Rollin' a fatty
    I went with the Talon with the Mamba as second choice, IMO it had the best component group and got a nice deal.

Just Ride
    If you have a LBS near you that sells cannondale, check out the trail 29ers they have. I bought the trail SL4 and it's a blast! My first foray into 29ers and I'm hooked! The specs and price are on par with what you've posted.
    SS ==> Nut up or Shut up!

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mark l View Post
    I have hardrock 29er, great bike but had to replace fork and wheelset. Big difference.
    Wouldn't it have been cheaper in the long run to move up to a Rockhopper?
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

mtb enthusiast
    Let me throw in another to consider, based on your budget. I'm biased since I just purchased the Nine Sport but this is also worth considering:

http://www.feltbicycles.com/USA/2012...ine-Trail.aspx

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Members who have read this thread: 0