Trek 3900 Disc vs. Fisher G2 Advance- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Trek 3900 Disc vs. Fisher G2 Advance

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to decide on which bike to get. They both are the same price and are very similar, but I'm not too familiar on the components and which are better over the other. Is there any greater advantage to one over the other?

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...3900disc,empty

Also, the G2 geometry looks good on the promotional video, but is it really? Anyone have any experience with the G2 geometry?

I'm only 5'3" so i will probably getting the 13" frame.

I will be taking this bike off road, but mainly fire roads and established trails. I don't consider myself advance by any means, but I have heard that these are good beginner bikes.

Thanks in advance for your comments/advice!
    Last edited by willis9076; 04-23-2011 at 06:06 PM. Reason: Spelling error

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I was planning on getting the 3900 Disc its great I tes rode it feels right. But I learned that the Rims are only Single walled rims. Meaning they are weak and you will bend or ruin your wheels. Meaning you can end up spending the amount you spent just on new wheels.

Even cheaper bikes or comprable models have double walled rims. I would not buy anything but a bike with a double walled rim.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I would get the Trek - its going to have better components, and you won't be as hunched over on longer rides.

mtbr member
    Those are both Trek (Gary Fisher bikes are a sub-collection of Trek now). Looking at the link they are almost identical in parts. If you're a smaller rider singe wall rims may last you a good long time. I see alot of people in the 200+ Lb range riding on the 3900s here where I'm at and haven't seen one bent from use yet. They are even being used as rental bike at our local community activities center and most people know how abused rental equipment is.

As far as the G2 geometry goes. I'm not too sure of the difference. I love the G2 bike i have and its great in all the ways the video said but I can't really compare because my switch to G2 also included a jump to 29 inch. You best bet is to try each out at the shop and see if one just feels better.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm leaning a little more towards the advance right now. However, the GF Wahoo looks pretty good as another alternative. However the wahoo does have hydraulic brakes, and I'm wondering if they would be too much trouble or complicated in the long run. I've had mechanical disk brakes foe a while, and they are perfectly fine by me.

S&G CREW
    Feb 2008
    I see alot of people in the 200+ Lb range riding on the 3900s here where I'm at and haven't seen one bent from use yet. They are even being used as rental bike at our local community activities center and most people know how abused rental equipment is.
    Well if they are ridden carefully if there are used somewhat hard it wont take much to put a dent or bend in them.They are ok for light ridding.

Members who have read this thread: 0