Trading in our hybrids for mountain bikes....26 or 29 wheels?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Trading in our hybrids for mountain bikes....26 or 29 wheels?

My husband and I JUST got our hybrid bikes - a Giant Roam and a Specilaized Crosstrail...however we realized after about 3-4 rides these bikes arent for us. They are great bikes but think we would just enjoy the mountain bike style better for the riding we are doing.

So therefore Im asking this question - What brand to get? We can get Scott or Giant from our LBS which we really want to use them.

Also which is better and pros and cons to the 26 wheel and 29er? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    scott and giant are good for brands. any real mountain bike brand will do the job- so will trek and specialized. go with a scott or giant since you would really want to use your lbs.

try both 26" and 29" bikes and see which you like better. 26" are a little easier to handle and 29" roll better over obstacles. both are good but a lot is preference.

i'm 6'4 and i like how the 29ers fit me.

enjoy!
    ez
    - 1995 Giant ATX 870
    - 2011 Salsa El Mariachi XL
    - 2011 Kona Unit (singlespeed) XL

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Im 5'6 and my husband is 6'0 so maybe those are for much taller people?

Master of Disaster
    The two bigget reasons for choosing a 29er are; 1) riding lots of pavement or paths where the larger wheel diameter makes riding easier and 2) larger wheel and higher-volume tires smooth the ride and reduce the need for full-suspension.

Downsides to 29er's are; slower acceleration, often slower handling, heavier overall weight, reduced choices in replacement forks and tires.

Personally, I'm 6'2" and LOVE riding a 29er specifically because I can't afford a full-squish bike. I'm a trail rider so the downsides have little effect on me (and slower acceleration is offset by the ability to retain momentum). If I rode tight trails on a full-squish bike I'd have little need or desire for a 29er. But that's not my situation.

Hope that helps.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    The bikes we are considering are:

Giant Talon 29er 1
    Giant Revel 1

Scott Aspect 30

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Just for the record, the two bikes you have technically ARE 29ers - they both have 29 inch wheels. So, any 29er bikes will be similar in some regards, but they will be more rugged. You could just keep those two bikes for any road riding you do and add mountain bikes. You could save some money by going online and ordering from www.BikesDirect.com

R.I.P. DogFriend
    I see riders of all different sizes enjoying 29" wheels. I recommend trying one for yourself and seeing how you like it.

Saw a Talon 1 on the trail a few days ago. Seems like a good bike for the price and I get the impression you have a decent relationship with a Giant dealer which can be important as you get started in the sport. I have ridden the XtC 29er1 several times (the Talons big brother) and liked it a lot.

Some other 29ers in the same price range as the Talon to check out are the Trek Mamba, GT Karakoram 1.0, Kona Kahuna and the Specialized Rockhopper Comp.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    So in our case we will be riding rail trails, dirt trails, paths, etc....our rail trail has several areas that are rocky and washed out and we just would feel more comfortable in knowing we have a better more rugged tire.

So Im sort of torn in what to look for...

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by aimcat
    So in our case we will be riding rail trails, dirt trails, paths, etc....our rail trail has several areas that are rocky and washed out and we just would feel more comfortable in knowing we have a better more rugged tire.

So Im sort of torn in what to look for...
    Sounds like either one would work fine for you. You are both tall enough for 29" bikes if you find some you like, but 26" bikes are also fine for trail riding. Its just about personal taste. 29" may be slightly more comfortable, 26" slightly more durable if you are heavy.

On the other hand, if the danger of flats is all that bugs you... don't sweat it. Hybrid tires are plenty tough, if aired up to proper pressure. You can even run the same tires as some 29" mtbs, if the frame has room for it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Honestly, you might even be able to swap those tires out for fatter ones - you just need to make sure you have enough clearance in the frame and that your brakes are wide enough (not sure if you have disc or V brakes). Check with the bike store that you purchased them from. It might also benefit you to put different forks on with longer travel, but I wouldn't go that route until you've at least tried the fatter tires.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    By the way, you may need to replace the rims in addition to the tires - but it would be kind of cool if you had one wheelset for road riding, and another wheelset for offroad riding. Check with your local bike store to see if they can do that with those bikes.

Truly Doneski
    Sep 2009
    29er v 26er is just a preference thing. Riding both kinds of bikes at your LBS and seeing what is more comfortable to you should do the trick.

You guys are both more than tall enough for 29ers, they have 29ers in size small that could fit some really short people.

As far as finding tires and forks, that is true now, but 29ers are still becoming more and more popular and finding a larger market share, and with that will come a wider variety and better selection of forks and tires.
    Originally Posted by Bmateo1:
    Joyous Day in Woods
    Thoughtless Jackwagon, piss near
    Chudzpah, Passion Lost

Members who have read this thread: 0