Toe Cramp

Printable View

• 04-02-2011
    Major Tom NZ
    Toe Cramp
    Sit rep:

Going out on a ride (newbie with new bike which i got SPDs put on) get out and back for about an hour (it wasnt a hard ride as I had a cranked back so was looking for a bit of time in the saddle as I still need to do a fair bit of butt conditioning)

on the way back my toes kept trying to cramp up.

Hydratioin and nutrition was good (I've been a distance runner for a while so kinda know how to avoid the cramps most of the time)

waddayarecon folks poor technique or have i got the cleats on wrong?

Ta muchly
  • 04-02-2011
    trboxman
    Shoes too tight?
  • 04-02-2011
    Major Tom NZ
    Nope shoes fine
  • 04-03-2011
    manabiker
    I thought potassium, but googled and found many other reasons, mostly nutritional, just google toe cramps, good luck..
  • 04-03-2011
    cowboygrrl
    By "food and nutrition good", you mean adequate water and electrolytes. Electrolytes are not just potassium. Check out the Hammer Nutrition website. Next would be stretching post ride (pre is good too). Last would be cleat (on the shoe) position. Some shoes have a couple slots; trying shifting the cleat up or back. That can change the pressure on the foot.
  • 04-03-2011
    AndrwSwitch
    Does it happen with other shoes and flat pedals?

There're a million reasons your toes might bother you, even excluding dehydration or poor nutrition. If you're pointing your toes down too much, that can do it. Cleat pressure can do it. Shoes too tight could do it.