mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Tires for urban riding/hard surfaces/touring/fitness

Wheels will be these: DT Swiss - X 1600 SPLINE<sup>®</sup>

Specs say tire dimension can be 1.5" - 2.25". I've been looking at these two:

Schwalbe Marathon Racer 26 x 1,75" Faltreifen
    Schwalbe Marathon Supreme RoadStar 1,6" Reflex Faltreifen
    Schwalbe Marathon Racer HD Evo 1,5" Faltreifen

I would prefer Schwable tires, in case you want to suggest some other model. Will most likely change suspension fork to rigid one also, if that makes any difference.

Bike will come with these tires: Schwalbe Nobby Nic Performance ORC 2,25" Faltreifen

Do I also need new tubes?
    Last edited by empre; 09-18-2012 at 08:44 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Amazon.com: Kenda K838 Slick Wire Bead Bicycle Tire, Blackwall, 26-Inch x 1.95-Inch: Sports & Outdoors

I use these for when I'm riding on the street. I go to nyc a lot to ride around at night with my friends, a few of them got these and love them. they really take out the rolling resistance.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ou2mame View Post
    I use these for when I'm riding on the street. I go to nyc a lot to ride around at night with my friends
    Dude !!! That's so crazy !!! Wish I were there!!

Hank

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I will get one of the three tires listed in the first post since they are top quality products, but which one I don't know yet. Do you think 1,5" tire is too narrow?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Marathon Racers are good for low rolling resistance, 1.5 will be fine for street use - if loaded touring with rigid forks you may want something a little wider, 1.75 or 2 for long days in the saddle. IF you are looking for something a little more for mixed kind of dirt road / tarmac touring then the Marathon Dureme is better than the racer traction wise but not as fast rolling.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    personally i like the thicker tires. plus the ones i posted were the cheapest i could find, and they're awesome for the money. i was looking at the Schwalbe Big Apples but for 50 bucks a tire, i was kinda hesitant for road tires. then i find the kendas, and they came to like 40 for the pair with shipping. i didn't want to run super skinny tires because i know my riding style and i like to go down stairs always on and off curbs and whatnot.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I've been riding Marathon Plus 1,75" for few months now. Do you think Marathron Racer 1,75" would make big difference?

Maybe I should get 1,5" or 1,6" now and 1,75" next year for touring trip.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I run Maxxis Overdrives on my urban assault Hardrock. They work and have great grip...i can't really say on rolling resistance. They have a reflective strip on the sidewall which is nice since i will not have reflectors on my wheels.

Members who have read this thread: 2