Tire pops off the wheel. Help me out- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Tire pops off the wheel. Help me out

I have a set of Schwalbe HS 257 tires (1.75 smoothies) on Vuelta Excalibur Free Ride wheels. Both are used. I got them from friends. I use them for street riding around my neighborhood in the mornings.

I have been running them for about 2 weeks. This morning I thought the rear felt a bit strange. I pulled over and looked at the tire and it had popped the bead. Part of the tube was sticking out the side.

I went home and tried to remount the wheel several times with two different tubes, but the tire still pops the bead when I inflate. I actually popped a tube while inflating.

What's the deal? Are these tires/wheels not compatable?

Prez NMBA
    Jul 2005
    you may have damaged the bead on the tire, its either that or the rim is too wide for those skinny tires. cant seem to find any specs on line for them

Yeah, I'll Ride That
    I agree that the tire may be too narrow for the rim. Free ride rims are typically wider and a 1.75 is pretty narrow.

Probably drunk right now

Question and Suggestion

Did you ding the rim or pinch flat recently?

To troubleshoot the problem, swap the front and rear tires and see if the problem continues. If it continues, wherever the problem ocurres will identify whether it's the rim or the tire.

mtbr member
    Wheels have only been in the dirt once on another bike. I've had no problems with flats or the front tire. I'm looking for new tires right now. I'll pull the Specialized 2.0 smoothies off my wife's bike and see how they work out.

Probably drunk right now

Right...

Quote Originally Posted by Skeeno
    Wheels have only been in the dirt once on another bike. I've had no problems with flats or the front tire. I'm looking for new tires right now. I'll pull the Specialized 2.0 smoothies off my wife's bike and see how they work out.
    Regardless of whether they've been on dirt or hit a curb, did you ding the rear tire or pinch flat recently?

The Schwable makes great tires (Specialized does too). Swap the tires front to back to see whether you have a rim problem or a tire problem.

mtbr member
    No pinch flats. Rim looks fine. I'll do some swapping around tonight and see if I can remedy the situation.

Probably drunk right now

A long shot thought...

Quote Originally Posted by Skeeno
    No pinch flats. Rim looks fine. I'll do some swapping around tonight and see if I can remedy the situation.

Another thought that's really a long shot, given the time of year: If you're moving the bike from one extreme temperature to another, a weakness in the bead/rim may result in the tire separating from the rim. This is really a stretch but it's possible.

My story: A couple of years ago on a large group, winter ride, the temps got down to 5 deg F. I added a little air pressure to my tires because I could feel the thump of the rocks/roots hitting my rim. We rode for several hours before I rode back to a friends house to drink a beer and warm up.

A beer turned in to a few beers which then grew to several beers at which point I hunkered down on the couch to stay the night. As the time passed, we became more focused on whatever mountain bike video we were watching and the beer flowed like wine. Several hours later we were jolted out of our drunken stupor with what sounded like a gun shot from somewhere out in front of my friends' place.

As we crept up to investigate where the shot came from, we noticed that my bike's rear tire has separated from the rim and a 1 foot section of the tube had basically disinegrated. The gun shot was my rear tire. That tire/wheel combination never had any issues prior to or after that one explosion.

My theory is that I didn't seat the tire properly, the cold caused that improper seat to become more of an issue, I pumped up the tire in 5 deg temps and then several hours later in 80 degree temps, the bead gave way violently.

mtbr member
    I figured out the problem. I pulled the tires off the rims and mounted up my wife's tires on my wheels. The 1.95s fit nicely on my wheels. Then I put the Schwalbes on my wife's wheels when I noticed that part of the bead is missing on one of the tires. Looks like I'm looking for a new set of cheap tires for my wife.

Members who have read this thread: 0