tire difference- Mtbr.com

Thread: tire difference

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

tire difference

Hello people I have couple of ?? regarding tires. What is the difference between a wire bead tire and a folding tire , can somebody explain me this please also in mounting terms which one is easier or better to install. is Kevlar bead the same as folding tire
    Thanks for help

Shaman
    Apr 2004
    Kevlar bead is a folding bead. They are usually lighter and a bit more expensive than wire bead.
    Skills coaching loved by passionate riders of all levels and trusted by the pros.
    www.betterride.net

mtbr member
    As said a Kevlar Beaded tyre is a Folding tyre, hence it can be folded up for storage and generaly is lighter and has a more compliant sidewall and better quality than a steel/wire bead tyre.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    For the second part of your question, re: ease of mounting, I would say it's easier to get a wire bead to seat, as they are more rigid, whereas the Kevlar beads tend to be a bit "floppier" for lack of a better word. On the other hand, it's a bit harder to get that last little bit of wire bead up and over the rim, especially without tire irons.

If I were teaching someone to mount a tire though I would start them on a wire bead because the seating is so much more positive.

David B.

No good in rock gardens..
    Quote Originally Posted by kukulkan
    Hello people I have couple of ?? regarding tires. What is the difference between a wire bead tire and a folding tire , can somebody explain me this please also in mounting terms which one is easier or better to install. is Kevlar bead the same as folding tire
    Thanks for help

Read this article on Shiggy's site.

http://www.mtbtires.com/site2/tech/3...ire-bead-tires
    Less isn't MOAR

mtbr member
    even the worst tires can still be mounted at home with tire levers. i can mount all the mountain bike tires on all the rims i have by hand. the wtb rims are more of a pain in the ass, but they can all be man handled on. i had to bust out the tire lever for a buddies alex rim and cheapo no-name tire, but it still got done in a matter of minutes.

in short, i wouldnt worry about mounting or seating issues at all. carry a lever in your pack with your tools and call it good.

if you're starting out, you're probably not riding hard enough to need those heavy duty reinforced wire bead downhill tires. get some nice folding/kevlar tires and save the weight!

Members who have read this thread: 0