Time to upgrade my Turner Flux (yea you read that right)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Time to upgrade my Turner Flux (yea you read that right)

So I'm back into the mountain bike game. I read through the readmes and such. I've done some searches but I think I'm ready for my own thread.

I'm on a Turner Flux that's maybe 15-20 years old that serves me well with stans olympic wheels, FOX fork, SRAM XO components (grip shifters even). I like this bike cause it's zippy, it can take some bumps and jumps but it isn't super heavy. My trails in my area are mostly XC orientated if anything something with 4-5inches will be fine to get over rocks and roots and more technical sections. We have alot of switch back trails and windy stuff where narrow handlebars works better to get through tree gates.

So I think I'd like a full suspension XC bike. I heard full suspension isn't that much heavier than hardtail so why not get alittle cushion. I was leaning on 27.5 but it looks like there's alot more selection in the 100mm travel around 29ers. I'm 5'6, 40yr old, 155lb.

Things that mean alot to me, low weight, good climbing, agility and good handling. I actually don't mind a twitchy bike, I ride a track bike on the road and i don't mind the steering on it. I see that bikes have gotten alot more relaxed headtube angle and it's a bit concerning but I"m sure it's for the best.

Some ideas I'm considering:
    Santa Cruz Blur (the VPP I hear is great for climbing)
    Scott Spark (people usually recommend this as well, maybe cause it's winning races)
    Yeti SB100 (don't know much about this)
    Giant Anthem Advanced (maestro i hear is good)
    Pivot Mach 4 SL (looks expensive for what it is)
    Specialized Epic Pro (don't know anything bout this)

I might consider used...then again I'm thinking maybe some of these bike companies will offer covid discounts if sales are struggling as well.

Is there any other bikes I should consider? How do I narrow the above list down without being able to ride them? Is it ok to buy a bike without riding it? I guess I will adapt to it no?

Lastly, I'd like to be under $5K ish

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    You can buy without test riding but ,how would you know if it fits you? Because that's where you should start ,the bikes you cited are all good bike bikes but they are a little different in feel and details. Thing are starting to open up a little so maybe you can at least sit on one. In general it sounds like you want a more race type of bike than a trail type.

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    Ride all the bikes you can get your butt on. Only one will emerge, when all the smoke clears....
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Cambria is selling Turner Czar frames for $1700. I love mine, loved my old Flux. The Czar climbs a LOT better than the old flux, and retains the sharper handling unlike a lot of the bikes with slack head angles these days.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    And yes, for good climbing these days you'll want a bike that offers a rear suspension designed for it, like a DW-link or VPP. A lot of bikes these days are just 4-bars with an obtuse linkage/chainstay angle like the old Giant NRS bikes, which was at best a hack.

Rod
    mtbr member
    I am a big fan of the maestro suspension and the new anthem is on my short list. A friend has this bike currently sitting at 22 lbs. I loved my older anthem with maestro suspension.

The Turner Czar gets a lot of love in the forums. It is an XC race bike and known as an excellent endurance rig. I would put this on my short list as well.

I would also have Pivot on my short list. I know they're expensive and no proprietary parts like other brands. They're also known for being fanatical about details (in a good way), built to race/climb, and they have a great reputation here too.

Specialized is known for proprietary parts. This may or may not matter to you. I love the fact I can store 2 water bottles on the frame though and their Swat system is amazing.

I don't know much about the Yeti, but their lack of water bottle options have not made them a contender for many years.

I haven't ridden a Scott Spark in a decade so I cannot comment. I know it has been getting slacker unless you buy the race version, which I believe is RC.

I think you would be happy with most of these bikes though.