Thinking of going clipless have no idea were to begin.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2009

Thinking of going clipless have no idea were to begin.

i pretty much do everything with one bike my mountain bike, commuting, road riding with friends, mountain biking with gf ect. i guess what im looking for if it exists is a clipless pedal that can also be used as a platform pedal but want the platform to have a decent grip. also will i be able to walk on mountain shoes, alot of my friends have road shoes and its hard for them to walk and all ur hear is click click. any suggestions on pedals or shoes looking to spend no more then 100 dollars? thanks in advance.

ridin' dirty
    The Crank Brothers Acid and Mallet pedals have large platforms to help when not clipped.
    http://www.crankbrothers.com/acid.php
    http://www.crankbrothers.com/mallet.php
    As for shoes, I don't know. Mine are a hassle to walk in but I only use my bike on dirt, so it's not really an issue. But I think most riding shoes are going to be stiff on bottom and the click will be there because of the hardware.

AZ
    banned
    Have a look at some of the Shimano shoes , not as stiff , a little more "civilian" .

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Redbeard77
    The Crank Brothers Acid and Mallet pedals have large platforms to help when not clipped.
    As for shoes, I don't know. Mine are a hassle to walk in but I only use my bike on dirt, so it's not really an issue. But I think most riding shoes are going to be stiff on bottom and the click will be there because of the hardware.
    with looking at those crank brother pedals can u wear regular shoes on them as well for the quick ride. does the clip part come up above the platform? also i forgot to mention do you of any pedal thats like those but also has an adjustment?

I Have Cookies
    Quote Originally Posted by Redbeard77
    Everybody here pushes CB pedals around here! Why??? I would stick with a good Shimano M545 or the like.... to me it's just more durable and easy to get parts ect....

And the shoes see if you can find some Specalized Tahoe's they are great! They don't look too "wierd" and if you need to hike"a"bike the sole's are compliant and grippy enough to get you out! I've been rocking a pair for almost a year! I use them for commuting and trailriding and most everything in between......
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say.” – Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo

mtbr member
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...+Mtb+Shoe.aspx
    I recently made the switch to clipless and picked up a pair of these. They seemed like a great shoe, however they seem to run a bit long and narrow so they didn't quite fit me right (I'm a 10.5 and ordered a 45, I think a 44 would have fit better, maybe even a 43). I ended up sending them back and picking up a pair of Specailized Tahoe's at my LBS for $70. They have been great and are pretty comfortable to walk around in.

The Shimano m520's can be had for about $40 bucks on Jenson as well. I picked a pair up after seeing the rave reviews of them on here and have no complaints so far.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by RU Chris
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...+Mtb+Shoe.aspx
    I recently made the switch to clipless and picked up a pair of these. They seemed like a great shoe, however they seem to run a bit long and narrow so they didn't quite fit me right (I'm a 10.5 and ordered a 45, I think a 44 would have fit better, maybe even a 43). I ended up sending them back and picking up a pair of Specailized Tahoe's at my LBS for $70. They have been great and are pretty comfortable to walk around in.

The Shimano m520's can be had for about $40 bucks on Jenson as well. I picked a pair up after seeing the rave reviews of them on here and have no complaints so far.
    yeah i was looking at those shoes at jenson i live right next to the ontario warehouse here in cali they also have those answer shoes on sale. i have really small feet i can fit a size 7 in boys comfortably but when buying adult shoes i fit a size 7 and a half. also heard about the 520 pedals can those also be riden as platforms?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    i second the m545. i have them. they are great! i have one bike for mtbing, school commute, get around town, ride at the beach, etc. so i ride with my mtbshoes, sandals, chucks, etc.

i got them for $30 slightly used on ebay!

Quote Originally Posted by ae111black
    Everybody here pushes CB pedals around here! Why??? I would stick with a good Shimano M545 or the like.... to me it's just more durable and easy to get parts ect....

And the shoes see if you can find some Specalized Tahoe's they are great! They don't look too "wierd" and if you need to hike"a"bike the sole's are compliant and grippy enough to get you out! I've been rocking a pair for almost a year! I use them for commuting and trailriding and most everything in between......
    Sette Reken "Hopper" SS

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    These work well. Large, grippy platform on one side, clipless on the other.

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/142...10--Pedals.htm

mtbr member
    The 520's are clipless only, no platform. Unless you absolutely need the use of a platform, I would go with these. Unless your going to be doing a lot of walking around, some comfortable, sneaker-like clipless shoes aren't too bad.

If you do need a platform, definitely get a pair of double sided clipless platforms like the m545's. I couldn't imagine having to worry about what way your pedal is facing on the trail when trying to clip in.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by joshik123
    i second the m545. i have them. they are great! i have one bike for mtbing, school commute, get around town, ride at the beach, etc. so i ride with my mtbshoes, sandals, chucks, etc.

i got them for $30 slightly used on ebay!
    I third the Shimanos. The 545 or 540s are nice. Easy to get in and out of. Super durable.

I Have Cookies
    Stay away from welgo clipless anything! They are cheap and you get what you pay for!!
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say.” – Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo

mtbr member
    May 2009
    The 520's are clipless only, no platform. Unless you absolutely need the use of a platform, I would go with these. Unless your going to be doing a lot of walking around, some comfortable, sneaker-like clipless shoes aren't too bad.

If you do need a platform, definitely get a pair of double sided clipless platforms like the m545's. I couldn't imagine having to worry about what way your pedal is facing on the trail when trying to clip in.
    do you think i would be able to use regular tennis shoes with the 545's. i dunno how clip pedals are but by looking a pictures the clip part is higher then the platform pedal area.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by alphaqforever247
    do you think i would be able to use regular tennis shoes with the 545's. i dunno how clip pedals are but by looking a pictures the clip part is higher then the platform pedal area.
    yes, the clip parts on the 545 protrude a little bit but they flatten out when you step on them. you can feel them under your feet a little bit but its not too bad. i ride my bike w 545 to school wearing chucks or sandals. works fine. when riding mtn before i had clipless shoes, i rode with tennis shoes.

not the BEST grip but it worked for commuting and when i ride mountain, i clip in....and you can ride unclipped for those sketchy areas until u become more confident.
    Sette Reken "Hopper" SS

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    My first clipless pedals were the Forte Campus for your exact reasoning. I then went with the Shimano SH-56 Multi-release cleat and found it way easier to get out. I just had my first ride on the Forte Carve yesterday. I left them set on medium tension and had no prob getting in or out. I like the dual sided entry much better than the clipless on one side and platform on the other. With the Campus pedal, clipping in on the trail required me to futz with the pedals to get the clip right side up and found it to be too much of a distraction. Yesterday, I just put my feet on the pedals and I would be clipped in quickly. The price on the Carve is good and they're also on sale with a 15% discount right now... hard to beat.

Underskilled
    The key question you should be asking, is why do you want to go clipless?

most people go clipless because they either don't know about the alternative, or just follow the crowd.

Buying a GOOD pair of clipless pedals and a pair of shoes with 5.10 rubber on the bottom will allow most of the benefits of clipless without the main disadvantages.

You can circular pedal with force, I can dead lift a freeride bike a foot into the air straight pulling the pedals, you can take your feet off AND PUT ON easily and quickly what ever the terrain (find a rider who can outrig a corner roll into a rock garden and clip in easily.)

The main advantage is safety, you will always unclip before you hit the deck when you fall, but being able to throw your self off the bike, duck and roll you can't.

The main effect of this is confidence, a lot of people will attempt things on flats that they would avoid on SPDS. to me this is the main point, it makes ridign more fun.

The advantage of SPDs is you will be fractionally faster, we are talking a small fraction, maybe a minute in a couple of hour race.

My friends race on SPDs but train on 5.10.

5.10 basic shoes on a magnesium pedal can be lighter than most SPD options.

The above is advisory, just so you know the other option.
    The below is a clear instruction.

NEVER GET A COMBO PEDAL, they suck as flats and they suck as SPDs.

It is easy to swap pedals, if you want to spd put spds on, then put flats on, easy.

The other disadvantage with 5.10 is it is a learnt skill. It will take 50 or so rides to be able to dead lift your bike, more effort, but in my eyes an improvement.

I Have Cookies
    Quote Originally Posted by CaveGiant
    The key question you should be asking, is why do you want to go clipless?

most people go clipless because they either don't know about the alternative, or just follow the crowd.
    Haha Funny..... to most of us using clipless is like graduating middle school and going on to high school, you dive in and do it just beacuse its just the next step.... I wouldn't think of riding the trails that we ride without being cilpped in... just too wet slippery, rocky ect....We get new comers that ride with us and try it with 5.10s and good platforms we end up leaving them in the dust because after the second or third time putting a foot down they just dont have any more control or traction on them....

____
    Kimo

Ride it 'til it breaks
    Apr 2009
    I got a pair of no-name cheap shoes from Performance Bikes that cost $40. They were labeled MTB shoes and they have tread on the bottom and around the sides. The clips rarely touch the ground when I'm walking and most people don't realize they are bike shoes.

Also, I like Crank Bros. because unclipping just feels right to me. I have the acid pedals on my mtb (because I hit a lot of rocks =D) and eggbeaters on my road bike. CB pedals can be pricey though... Look for used ones if you choose them.

If you can try your friends out, do it. Everyone has their own preference on what type of pedal to use.

ridin' dirty
    I'm not saying they're the best, it's just what I have because my LBS stocks them. The guys I ride with use Shimano, but when I bought my bike I wanted to start off clipless so I wouldn't have to "re-learn" on the trails later, and bought what was in stock and in my budget. I have no complaints about the Crank Bros pedals (I have the Smartys), but they're also the only clipless I've used. Like I said, the guys I normally ride with use Shimano and they're really pleased with those.

mtbr member
    Wife bought me a pair of Vans Warners for my b day and they are great. Not as stiff as my old Sidis but I can walk in them. BTW I don't think C bros pedals are good for your first clipless. There is no way to adjust tension for realeasing your foot. It only gets easier as the cleat wears. My wife tried some Pink Candies as her first clipless and has the scars to pove it!!!!!
    NO SHIRT
    NO SHOES
    NO DICE

Underskilled
    Haha Funny..... to most of us using clipless is like graduating middle school and going on to high school, you dive in and do it just beacuse its just the next step.... I wouldn't think of riding the trails that we ride without being cilpped in... just too wet slippery, rocky ect....We get new comers that ride with us and try it with 5.10s and good platforms we end up leaving them in the dust because after the second or third time putting a foot down they just dont have any more control or traction on them....
    You should really tell this to people like Sam Hill and Karver, if they knew about clipless pedals maybe they might be able to get a bit higher on the world rankings.

Oh wait, didn't Sam Hill win the world championship... dammit =-)

As I said it is a skill, once you know how to use it, there is some advantages.
    It's like going from High School to uni, the slow people can't hack it, but some do and then they become the best

mtbr member
    You should really tell this to people like Sam Hill and Karver, if they knew about clipless pedals maybe they might be able to get a bit higher on the world rankings.

It's like going from High School to uni, the slow people can't hack it, but some do and then they become the best
    Ive seen Steve Pete use clipless, I believe they all use clipless on certain courses that reguire pedaling.

alphaqforever247,
    at any rate its all personal preference, my bike came with platforms but I like clipless.
    I went to the combination type first with platform on onside and spds on the other. I switched to Shimano 545s very quickly. I have several Shimano shoes,
    mt 31 lace up very comfortable for walking around after the ride
    mt 52 high top aslo very comfortable I use this one the most for more protection.
    m 182 carbon sole, not as comfortable walking but lighter and more efficient.

I also ride the bike with my street shoes with the 545s when running errands, I really didn't notice the spds.

mtbr member
    i pretty much do everything with one bike my mountain bike, commuting, road riding with friends, mountain biking with gf ect. i guess what im looking for if it exists is a clipless pedal that can also be used as a platform pedal but want the platform to have a decent grip. also will i be able to walk on mountain shoes, alot of my friends have road shoes and its hard for them to walk and all ur hear is click click. any suggestions on pedals or shoes looking to spend no more then 100 dollars? thanks in advance.
    Many good options mentioned previously. If you've not considered the Time Z pedals, take a look at the reviews. Shimano also makes a few clipless-platform-combo pedals.

When riding trails, I do not ride unclipped; if the cleat is not clipped into these combo pedals, they actually allow your foot to slide around a little. If you happen to be unclipped when landing a wheelie drop with MTB shoes, your foot can slide off the pedal, don't ask how I know.

To me, the advantage of the combo pedal is that I can hop on my bike with any regular shoe or sandal and pedal off for a light ride. For heavy duty trail rides, I strap on the dedicated MTB shoes and ride my trail bike equipped with the smaller bodied Time ATAC pedals.
    Go on ahead, I'm gonna take a breather.

too cold to ride

That's not true- I have 520's on my Haro Sonix (came stock) and I have plastic Shimano platforms clipped into them now. They're also double-sided. I think the 545s are just lighter weight...

I'm planning on switching over to clipless in the spring (too late in the year to learn something new), and I'll just unclip the platforms. The platforms suck, btw- they throw the weight of the pedal off and the platform part is always on the bottom (meaning I have to spin the pedal around with my heel to get the platform to face up, then get my foot on it quick before it drops back down).
    Now go home and get your ******* shinebox.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

NEVER GET A COMBO PEDAL, they suck as flats and they suck as SPDs.
    i like my shimano m545 and im sure lots of others do too...it has good reviews on mtbr. yeh, they are not the best for flats, especially when mtbing, but it works out when i want to unclip and ride as im still progressing.

other than that, i think they work great clipped in. i dont have any problems clipping and unclipping. they feel comfortable and i dont think about clipping or unclipping, i just do it.

they work fine as flats for commuting to school in my flip flops or chucks. :]
    Sette Reken "Hopper" SS

I Have Cookies

I really don't think the OP is gonna do any competitive DH or anything like that! It sounds like he's looking for the next step in his biking skills arsenal and if he ever wants to get a proper road cadence he defanatly needs to be clipped in! You should just try and spinn 88 rpm on flats..... Impossible! You will be bouncing around like a fool!

____
    Kimo

College Boy
    Personal I vote get a pair of shimano m520 for the first pair of clipless, They are large enough to be able to ride with just regular shoes, I road to class quite often on my bike with just tennis shoes on. Yes the plateform is small but it is big enough to be able to ride around on with out the shoes,
    I have read a lot of complaints about the combo pedals being just poor for both worlds and people regrete getting them and just wish they went all the way.

mtbr member

Shimano has most consistent realease IMO.

I would go with anything Shimano. I especially like the M-647 pedals.

Also consider running the SH-56 Multi-Release cleat. These are great for people new to clipless, and you will be able to touch your foot down almost as fast as a platform pedal using these cleats.

I use the SH-56 cleat all the time on my Motolite. I find that I can tighten them up a bit, and yet still get my feet down faster than any other clipless pedal. I ride a lot of rocky trails here in Tucson, everything from Brown Mountain to Milagrosa, and I never hesitate to tackle anything for fear of not being able to get out of my pedals.

Platforms are nice to put your feet on and off, but they suck for me up technical climbs, where I end up lunging up a rock step and loosing my feet off the front of the pedal. The M647 with 56 cleat is like the best of both pedals. Power through the entire stroke, and instant ability to put a foot down.

Killer b.

Cool-blue Rhythm

You are going to get polar opposite opinions on this topic, and it is one that is regularly thrashed to death on this board.
    I won't bother to quote people, but here are some opinions that have been put forward and my thoughts on them.
    Haven't ridden CB Mallets, but I ride Acids, and they make a lousy platform for street shoes. The cage sits up far too high. I have done it with my son on the Weeride, but after getting sore knees I just got a cheapo set of flats.
    I have recently come off close to 15 years on Shimano clipless, and changed to CB. I had to take to my shoes with a drill to get the angle I wanted on the cleats. If you are going to use any clipless pedal, then you have to make sure you can get out of them easily, which to me, means as soon as you start to turn your heel outwards. The benefit I find with my CB set-up is that the release point is all about heel angle, and nothing at all to do with spring tension. I'm finding them much more consistent than Shimano, and particularly, I can get out of a weighted pedal, which I never could on Shimanos.

Sam Hill is just about always used as a reference for Flats used in downhill, and yes, on a good day he is unbelievably fast. Steve Peat and Greg Minaar, I know both use either flats or clips depending on the day and the track. At the Worlds this year Steve won on CB Mallets. A number of riders who never ride clipped in changed to clipless for that particular race.

CaveGiant, you get the prize for stupidest comment on this thread so far with your assertion that most people ride clipless because they are following the crowd. Just really, really dumb.
    Posting on the basis that ignorance shared is ignorance doubled.

ILIKEBIKES
    Aug 2009
    yes, the clip parts on the 545 protrude a little bit but they flatten out when you step on them. you can feel them under your feet a little bit but its not too bad. i ride my bike w 545 to school wearing chucks or sandals. works fine. when riding mtn before i had clipless shoes, i rode with tennis shoes.

not the BEST grip but it worked for commuting and when i ride mountain, i clip in....and you can ride unclipped for those sketchy areas until u become more confident.

Dude- my Chuck Taylors are so worn that I can feel EVERYTHING thru them! They are the most broken in/broken down shoes... SO freaking comfortable ... now, anyway.
    "The free press doesn't serve the government, it serves the governed."

mtbr member
    Everybody here pushes CB pedals around here! Why??? I would stick with a good Shimano M545 or the like.... to me it's just more durable and easy to get parts ect..
    I don't understand the big push on CB pedals either.

My girlfriend(who is no beginner by any means, and rides rocky downhills better than most guys) used Shimano pedals for years, until they looked like you had taken a hammer and rock pick to them. They had been bashed on the rocks for years!!

She then tried Candy C pedals because of all the magazine tests and stuff. She started falling down awkwardly when needing to dab. They just would not release consistently when needed. Also, rock strikes on the bottom kick them open. Then she bent one of the loops on a rock, and decided to get rid of them. The are not nearly as durable in rocks as Shimano's. Maybe they are good for mud, but here, we have rocks. And more rocks.

Now she is back on Shimano's with the M-647 and loves them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by twowheelsdown2002
    She then tried Candy C pedals because of all the magazine tests and stuff. She started falling down awkwardly when needing to dab. They just would not release consistently when needed. Also, rock strikes on the bottom kick them open.
    That's because she probably went with the Candy's and wasn't used to it. If she was that hardcore, she probably would have liked the Eggbeaters and not cut herself short by getting the Candy's. In my opinion, they're much easier to get in and out of without having to worry about the platform section. She's also probably more oriented with the old setup than the Candy's.

Then again, everyone has their preference. Currently having Eggbeaters, I tried riding my friend's bike yesterday that had Candy's, and I had issues clicking in especially in stop and go. It's like if you don't come in at the right angle, you're just going to keep trying until you're successful. Like everything else, once you get used to it, it'll probably come natural. It's just trying to find the right pedal for the right person.

Picture Unrelated
    i like my shimano m545 and im sure lots of others do too...
    The 545 is not a combo pedal. Combo pedals have one side platform and one side clipless. And there may have been only one good thing he said, but it was do not get a combo pedal. You'll never be more angry at biking as you will be when you try to clip in over and over and hit the platform.

I started clipless with SPD style pedals due to the adjustable tension. As soon as they wore out, I switched to Time pedals and haven't looked back since. Float + mud clearance + no crazy rock strike eject button (Crank Bros) + great hold = great pedal. Add on the fact that they now come with adjustable tension, and I'm sticking with them.

That being said, I have switched to flats for almost everything but my single speed. Lots more control in sticky spots and if you're a reasonably skilled rider, you can hold your own with the fast guys.

Flats: more control over balance, easier to bail, good for your technique
    Clipless: way more pedaling efficiency due to circular pedaling
    Toe Clips: Death traps

You'll never know until you try. Don't spend a ton and see if you like it. The Spec Tahoe was my first shoe too, good choice and cheap.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LUNARFX
    That's because she probably went with the Candy's and wasn't used to it. If she was that hardcore, she probably would have liked the Eggbeaters and not cut herself short by getting the Candy's.
    I would say she is plenty hardcore, but not a weight weenie XC type. She wanted a little more foot support on rough terrain and thought the Candy C would have that.

The M-647 is not only one of the easiest pedals to get out of in a pinch, but it is also one of the easiest to clip into. You put your foot on, and it just goes in. If it doesn't, just pull the foot back a touch, and it goes in. And it takes rock abuse a lot better as well. There are lots of posts about people in rocky terrain breaking CB pedals.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

I just got the Shimano MT-41G

I just got the Shimano MT-41G shoes from JensonUSA for $40 they look grate & I pretty much do everything with one bike my mountain bike just like you, & now for the pedals im looking at the Shimano M647.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by arielDB
    I just got the Shimano MT-41G shoes from JensonUSA for $40 they look grate & I pretty much do everything with one bike my mountain bike just like you, & now for the pedals im looking at the Shimano M647.
    that is eactly my set up! MT 41s and 647s
    very confy and I prefer this mt 41's over my mt 86s works really well for every type of riding except extreme technical, then its platforms.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by arielDB

i saw those shoes after i bought my sette enduro shoes. i love my enduros, they work great and i love the price.

but i realli like the newbalance look of the MT41. o well.
    Sette Reken "Hopper" SS

Spice
    Dec 2008
    Do all types of clipless pedals (SPD's, eggbeaters, time and an other type available) use the same cleat on the bottom of the shoes, or does each one have a specific design?

I'm thinking about going to clipless, but just not sure at the moment...
    I'll need to try some out first

mtbr member
    They all are specific to their brand. Check with your LBS, they may have some loaners.
    Wheelworld in SOCAL will give loaners. At least that is what they told me when I was looking.

Spice
    Dec 2008
    Thanks very much
    I think SOCAL may be a bit far for me to go to try on some shoes, maybe i'll have to find something more local in london

mtbr member
    clipless are more efficient and a godsend when its wet/slippery/bumpy/etc, however there is a very steep learning/fear curve associated with properly setting the release point and getting over falling down. I'll also add, even though they've made strides of progress lately, a lot of people have issues with the angle/set position clipless forces your foot/knees into.

a good set of platforms with some 5.10s can get damn close to glueing your foot to the pedal with the added piece of mind that you can dismount at a millisecond's notice and wear semi-normal looking shoes (for the fashion conscious). They MAIN drawback to platforms is the damage they cause when you do come off the pedals. there are a many threads with nasty pics of split open shins down to the bone from the studs (this is largely negated with the use of shin pads).

So the choice is which scares you worse lol.

pants on head retarded
    Interesting, I spose I'm the only one who uses half-clips. I picked up some Welgo clip/platform pedals and cheap shoes-- y'know, just to see how it feels. Yes, it takes some getting used to (both the clips and only having half of your pedal clip), but I've run it for a season and have no complaints. If I were in muddier terrain I'd definitely have more complaints than I do with the welgos (impossible to clip in when muddy-- and if you do manage to clip in it's no fun getting back out). I'm sure I'll eventually swap out for some more comfortable shoes and more resilient SPDs, but really not in any rush.

For me, the clipless was mainly a fear curve, not a learning curve. I had run baskets for a while and the clipless are a godsend-- so much easier and more secure. Just spend a bit of time sitting on your bike braced up against a wall clipping and unclipping. Over and over. It'll become second nature.

Official ***** Idiot
    Feb 2004
    You can get kinda hybrid hiking style shoes. Easy to walk in (I actually wore mine at work quite a bit), great for situations where you have to walk halfway up a muddy hill or climb over a log too big to ride over. Drawbacks, though.......the footbed isn't rigid for the whole length of the shoe, only where the cleat mounts, and back maybe midway to the heel, and halfway or so to the toe. You lose a little power transfer there. Mud clearance can also be an issue, since the cleat is recessed into the sole. Most work fine with the major brands, I had some Specialized that worked well with Time pedals. Something to look into, rather than a pure cycling shoe, they're more versatile. Not that I regret buying some good XC shoes, but I do miss them for around-town trips and super steep climbing. Plus you don't get yelled at for your cleats scarring up the floor at the gas station you get your energy bars at.

mtbr member

second the shimano's just because you can get em cheap and find out how you like clipless and i have had several pairs of specialized shoes good buy ...when you decide if you like it then you might think about more expensive pedals ...
    ______
    "thirty spokes converge upon a wheel but it is the hole in the center that enables it to be used"

Members who have read this thread: 0