Thinking of getting REI DRT 3.2 on Sale- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2020

Cool-blue Rhythm Thinking of getting REI DRT 3.2 on Sale

Will be my first FS bike. Beginner. I'm looking at REI DRT 3.2. It's on sale for $2379, then add in 10% back in dividends, it comes out to roughly $2150+tax.

I've been eyeing bikes under $3k. YT Jeffsy/Izzo. Canyon Neuron/Spectral, Ibis Ripmo.

All these bikes, including the REI is too much bike for me right now, but I'm hoping to grow into it. I would think I'll need more of a trail bike rather than an all-mountain since I'm a beginner and won't see more of the technical stuff yet.

Before REI was on sale, I was thinking of the Izzo. It's a trail bike plus it looks pretty nice. I'm in no rush, can wait winter or spring. Currently using REI entry hardtail DRT 1.1.

What do you guys think? Opinions? Any other bikes I should be looking at? DRT 3.2 a good value for now?
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Usually, you don't get the dividend on sale items so you might want to verify that. If you use their credit card however, you get an additional 5% on regularly priced items and 5% dividend even sale items.
    What, me worry?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    No dividend on sales item. Sales items are usually denoted with prices ending in $.83 or $.93

$2,378.93

mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by demonreturn View Post
    All these bikes, including the REI is too much bike for me right now, but I'm hoping to grow into it. I would think I'll need more of a trail bike rather than an all-mountain since I'm a beginner and won't see more of the technical stuff yet.
    I'd look at a Giant Trance 3. Lot of bike for $2100. It was hard for me to know at the time, but I was not sure how often I would ride, so I went with the entry level Stance. Almost immediately upgraded it with a couple of things to where I have more in it than the nicer Stance. Wish I would have just spent the extra $600 and gotten teh Trance. If you think you'll be sticking with it, I'd get something closer to what you aspire to ride, as it won't take long to outgrow an entry level bike (note I don't now anythig about the REI you mentioned).

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    I had a DRT 3.1 for a week and decided to get the 3.2. I was also looking at the Jeffsy but I just cant be without a bike until October. As a beginner, we are perfectly fine with the 3.2 in my opinion. The beauty of buying from REI, especially if you have a store nearby, you can rely on them for sorting your bike out and hold them to a standard for any issues. If you experience any abnormal issues outside of regular wear and tear, you have every right to return the bike within one year, no questions asked. Its a perfect test for the bike.

Also, the bike is light. I weighed my 3.1 with pedals and its just over 33lbs.

Note: I dont condone using a bike for 11 months, thrashing it and then returning it when you're done and want something else of course.

mtbr member
    Any idea who makes the REI bikes?

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    Iím not sure. I read somewhere that Giant make the frames but Iíve also read theyíre manufactured in house which is hard to believe. Iím going with Giant...but who knows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk