mtbr member
    Oct 2008

New question here. think i have a problem?

on my last ride, it was a bit muddy, it seemed to develop a slight grinding in the gears.
    i can feel a bit of almost grinding, more of a feeling than a noise, in the chain around the front gearing.
    also, having a slight slipping in the gears near the center gearing of rear cogs, and every now and then it seems the chain hangs and seems to backlash?

excuse my termanology on the tech specs, still learning

can anyone tell me what my problem could be.

thanx

What could go wrong ...
    clean your drivetrain
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

mtbr member
    Expanding on Zoke2's comment: You obviously have grit in the drive train. Front rings, chain, cogs in the back, the deraillieur (never spell that one right) all are muddy. Take some water, a rag and brushes and give your bike a good wash. Make sure you clean every component of the drive train. Lube it afterwards.

If the problem persists you might have a link in the chain that doesn't move (back lash issue) combined with a slightly stretched or worn out shifter cable/housing (slipping gears).

Wash it first.
    "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit." - And I agree.

EDR
    My crotch hurts when I walk. I haven't taken a shower in 4 days but I did hike 4 miles on Thursday and biked over 20 miles today. Any ideas on how to make my ass feel better?

OP, I'm just yanking your chain of course. CLEAN your drivetrain. Seriously, what do you want us 'experts' to say?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    i gave the bike a good wash down as soon as i got home, but i didn get in it with the brush. already cleaned and regreased the chian and it already made a huge difference.
    thankx guys, and experts

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Maybe it wore a bit because of pedaling in bad conditions, so replacement would be the only fix if that were the case.

Bicyclist
    Mar 2008
    Use a brush on the chain and the gears when cleaning. Kerosene works great for degunking. You can purchase a brush that is specially made for this or just find something that works.

Terrain Sculptor
    If you're going to ride in wet muddy conditions, use a thin chain oil. Then wash & re-lube often (every ride). "Massage" the chain with your bare hands while washing it & you'll feel when it's clean. You can wear disposable gloves if you don't want to get your hands all icky but if you're riding in mud, it shouldn't bother you.

Members who have read this thread: 0