Is there a better option?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2015

Is there a better option?

Hey all,

About 2 years ago, I bought a Fuji Nevada 1.7 mountain bike.
    It was the first new bike I bought since I was probably like 14 so I did a lot of research and that's the entry level bike I ended up with.
    When I bought it, I was riding the rail trails and thought I'd start spending a lot more time riding single track, however I never really did.
    I'm enjoying the rail trails here in NJ and am looking to continue to ride further. I did a 40 mile ride last year and wanted to keep working towards hitting 100 at some point.
    After all that my question is, is there a better bike option for someone who is likely going to just stick to the rail trails and hopefully put more mileage in? I had read somewhere that mountain bikes aren't the best for that scenario so I thought I'd ask the experts.

Thanks.

Hardtail Steel Forever
    Rail trail being a converted railroad grade into a path? A gravel or CX bike would be perfect, or if you prefer mountain style bars a light 29er with a rigid front fork. Otherwise, there's nothing wrong with the way you're doing it, you may want to consider lighter and better rolling tires if you're on knobby ones. The rigid or CX'ish option would likely be a lighter and more efficient bike.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Yep, old railroad path. I have an adjustable front fork that I leave rigid just for the heck of it but sounds like that was the right move.
    I never even thought of the tires. I just left on the ones that came with the bike when I bought it but that makes a lot of sense.
    Appreciate the help.