Super Strong Pedals- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Super Strong Pedals

So I recently ordered my first pair of actual honest-to-goodness clipless mtb shoes. I've been riding flats on my bikes, but I've just really wanted to give clipless a shot on my XC bike.

But here's the thing, I look at these clipless pedals and they all make me fear for my life. Those tiny little wimpy spindles inspire no confidence in me. I'm 275lbs and I just fear that Im going to shear one of those things right in half on some drop.

So my question is...who makes a strong pedal? Will steel cut it for a guy my size with an aggressive riding style or do I need to spring for titanium? I've looked at a few systems and the Look pedals give me the most confidence. Shimano and Crank Bros...not so much...but I've never used any of them.

Would love to hear from some bigger riders. Would not love to hear Vtolds say "You should check out Sette."

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    a good pair of aluminum ones would work fine for a big person

mtbr member
    Check out Shimano XT or DX spd's, or models lower down their respective lines. Steel spindles that should be fine, they aren't really any smaller than the ones in most flats, also the DX pedals are flipping bombproof.

Time's various pedals are penty strong too. They also have pretty good sealing on the bearings. If you want some movement on your feet when clipped in I'd recommend Times.

I'll probably get shot down for this, but I don't recommend Crank Bros pedals for heavy or aggressive riding. All the people riding crankies in my local club are constantly smashing chunks out of them and the bearings seem to wear through quickly. None of them are near 200lb so I wouldn't rate them for a heavier rider.
    Last edited by Fix the Spade; 11-16-2009 at 01:13 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Titanium pedal spindles are usually weaker than steel spindles. Most pedals with titanium spindles have a weight limit. Crank Brother Ti pedals have a weight limit recommendation of 185lbs.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I'm about the same weight (265 or so) ... Crank Bros on my mtn bikes (candies CroMo) and the same on my touring bike ... Ultegra's on my road bike. Used to have speedplays on the road bike. I wouldn't say I'm an agressive rider, but I've never had a pedal issue. For what it's worth I also use knee saver pedal extensions because I pedal a bit heel in toe out and even with the extra length that creates I've never broke a pedal.

Can't feel my legs
    Spindles are basically the same for flats and clipless, I don't get your concern

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by StarXed
    Would not love to hear Vtolds say "You should check out Sette."
    hehe.

mtbr member
    Time's are very durable, long lasting bearings and nearly indestructible bodies too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Subie
    hehe.
    You should check out Sette

Sette Doesnt make Pedals so why would I suggest them?

On topic though, I have used Shimano SPD's with no issues and Wellgo WAM-B25 Platforms, and I weight 240.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

AZ
    banned
    Shimano Xt's . I used to be 255 lbs. and I beat on xts , could not be happier with them , lasted alot longer than my Cank Bros.

Habitual Line Stepper
    May 2009
    I was 230 when I first started riding. I invested in the Time attack carbon pedals ( not the ti version) and they have held up great. Plenty of float, they don't dissengage when you don't want them to. I noticed you said you want to try them on your XC bike... This was my intention at first as well, but now I'm so used to clipless that I feels weird to ride on platforms regardless of the bike or terrain. Good luck, there are lots of good choices out there!

College Boy
    First off I will say I ride a pair of Time ROC carbons and I do think they are great pedals but they are not pedals I recommend to newbies to the world of clipless.

The pedals I will recommend are Shimano M520's. They are great starter pedals and bomb proof. I road with them for over a year on my bike and when I did replace them they were still in great shape. I have smash them on multiple rocks they have taken full landings on drops on to a rock more than once and still holding up with out a problem. I have yet to see a M520 pedal that has failed. I have seen a few egg beaters that have broke from rock hits but never an Shimano.

Now that the bomb proof part is cover I will go on the other reason why I recommend M520 to people new to clipless. They have an adjustable tension setting and are very forgiving in the release (something which my Times are not). As you get better at getting out of clipless you can adjust the tension to what your liking is. My brother has an old pair of M505 that are over 10 years old and been beat to hell and still work great to this day.

The Shimano pedals are what I think are the one of the best beginner pedals out there. And what really great about the M520s is they only will set you back 40-50 bucks which is a great price for some bomb proof pedals.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Shimano M520

+1 on the M520. Just started with them a couple months ago. I use on the MTB and the road bike.

Members who have read this thread: 0