Suggest a bike please- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Suggest a bike please

I just bought a mountain bike and it feels like my seat is higher than the handle bar and i feel like im putting a lot of myself to the handle bar, is this normal?

I bought a 26 inches and i wanted the seat to be lower than the handle bar do i need to change bikes?

Thank you for posting

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    lol u can fix the seat u know.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    the seat is already all the way down

this is what i bought

Genesis 26" Men's Bike, V2100 Dual-Suspension Mountain - Walmart.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I like the bike, can i change the handle bar to go higher? like this one

Mongoose XCom 700c Men's Bike - Fitness & Sports - Bikes & Accessories - Bikes

mtbr member
    You can replace the stem an handle bars :-/

banned
    Sep 2012
    That's what happens when you don't get properly fitted for a bike. There is no "normal" or "abnormal" positioning. It's all up to the individual's comfort level. Some people prefer a more upright position while others prefer leaning forward. It's also possible that the frame you have is probably too big for you. Not too late though, but it does mean that you'll have to spend more money to fix it.

How to fix it? Get an angled stem (or an adjustable angle stem) and a riser handlebar. When choosing the stem, don't get one that is too long or it will "pull" your body even further forward. I suggest 80-90mm length. If the handlebar is still too low for you, you can also add a steerer tube extender.

Also, shift the seat forward but make sure you don't exceed the limits of the seat rails.

Check for proper leg extension since your seatpost is all the way down. With your foot on the pedal, your leg should be very slightly bent at the kneecap when the pedal is at the lowest position.

....come to think of it, all this sounds like using more and more duct tape to fix the problem....

BETTER SOLUTION - return the bike, go get properly fitted for another bike.

Example of parts to fix it:

Ritchey adjustable stem

Riser bar (the Answer Protaper is available in 2" rise - the highest rise I know of)

... or a steerer tube extender

-S
    Last edited by shibiwan; 10-27-2012 at 12:41 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by shibiwan View Post

Other solution - return the bike, go get properly fitted for another bike.

^^This^^

Walmart has a pretty good return policy, if you are uncomfortable on the bike, take it back. Visit your LBS and sit/ride as many bikes as possible. Perhaps you will find one there you really like and feel is worth the money, or maybe you could search the CL and find a good deal on a used (but not abused) bike that has a little more adjustability as well as reliability. then have it properly set up for you and your comfort.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by B1llBatt View Post
    ^^This^^

Walmart has a pretty good return policy, if you are uncomfortable on the bike, take it back. Visit your LBS and sit/ride as many bikes as possible. Perhaps you will find one there you really like and feel is worth the money, or maybe you could search the CL and find a good deal on a used (but not abused) bike that has a little more adjustability as well as reliability. then have it properly set up for you and your comfort.
    This ^^

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I went to my lbs and the guys nice enough and gave me handle bar 15 bucks so ill try it

mtbr member
    I suggest...
    superfast superlight 20 inch wheels racing bike xD
    winter XC

banned
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by naughtyca View Post
    I went to my lbs and the guys nice enough and gave me handle bar 15 bucks so ill try it
    * sigh *

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Kool, good luck getting it setup.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    The first step in purchasing a bike, is knowing your proper frame size. Google, proper bike frame size. What's your inseam?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    They gave me a 5 inch rise on the handle bar I will try it tomorrow thanks guys

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I could not wait so I replaced the handle bar, i had to you tube the darn grip to get it out lol, needed a flat head screw driver and wd40, anyways got the handle bar replaced made a huge difference a lot more comfortable now but the wires of the derailers and brakes are too short, LBS warned me about this si I will need to bring it back to them to get longer wires, from what they told me before 1 wire might be able long enough so i just need to buy 1 wire. This bike is a keeper and i love it now.

mtbr member
    I could not wait so I replaced the handle bar, i had to you tube the darn grip to get it out lol, needed a flat head screw driver and wd40, anyways got the handle bar replaced made a huge difference a lot more comfortable now but the wires of the derailers and brakes are too short, LBS warned me about this si I will need to bring it back to them to get longer wires, from what they told me before 1 wire might be able long enough so i just need to buy 1 wire. This bike is a keeper and i love it now.
    Gratz, any bike that the rider is happy is a good bike ! Enjoy riding :-)

mtbr member
    MTBR is a great source of information, but it has its limitations. Any mountain biker, in the flesh, could have (and in the future, could) help you get a fit like 75% as good as the most highly trained professional fitter could do. Frame size, seat height. Done. 5 minutes in real life. Brake lever position, 1 additional minute. Or dozens of posts and photographs and measurements and calculations over the net.

Even just to make fairly simple choices as a consumer (for instance, buying a bicycle), really takes some expertise. Some of this stuff is so basic that long-time riders might not even realize it is expertise, but when you don't have it on your side....

Maybe you just moved to a new city and don't know anyone; maybe you are the only person in your whole circle of relations that rides a bike; even then, you are allowed to go 'use' the knowledge and professional friendliness of the salespeople at the local bike shop. They would prefer that you then buy from them, but you're not obligated. They should realize that often someone brand new to biking is going to try to spend less than even the least expensive bike in the shop, and that they are doing the right thing to treat you well and to grow the sport, and win your business in the future. Try not to abuse it, and virtually anyone and everyone in cycling will try to help you out at least a little. Good luck!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Good morning.. Take it from experience!! I was looking for the easy solution to a bike and it seemed to get a great deal from a walmart bike but its not.. I bought one of these /mongoose bikes and the first time on trail, the suntour front shock blew out.. They would not accept the return even with the receipt.. buy a buy through craigslist or LBS and you're better off...

Just my .02 cents..

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammy9398 View Post
    Good morning.. Take it from experience!! I was looking for the easy solution to a bike and it seemed to get a great deal from a walmart bike but its not.. I bought one of these /mongoose bikes and the first time on trail, the suntour front shock blew out.. They would not accept the return even with the receipt.. buy a buy through craigslist or LBS and you're better off...

Just my .02 cents..
    Thanks but this Bike will not go to trails just daily exercise around the subdivision riding with family Bikes. I have seen some reviews of the Genesis bikes in this forum and they seem to be ok. even my LBS store was surprised about the Genesis Bikes. At this point I still could not phatom spending that much on a bike yet.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Thanks but this Bike will not go to trails just daily exercise around the subdivision riding At this point I still could not fathom spending that much on a bike yet.
    And you are right. You hardly need anything to ride around on roads and bike paths designed, built and maintained primarily for transportation-- to get safely, comfortably and quickly from point A to B.
    That is bike riding.
    Trail riding is a completely different activity because of the design and construction of the riding surface-- to be difficult, challenging and fun. This goal for trails puts both the bike and rider under many times greater stress than bike riding. There is a much greater potential for injury.
    When you add those things together you want something that will take a beating day after day. You want something that you can control and be safe on while it and you are taking that beating.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    And you are right. You hardly need anything to ride around on roads and bike paths designed, built and maintained primarily for transportation-- to get safely, comfortably and quickly from point A to B.
    That is bike riding.
    Trail riding is a completely different activity because of the design and construction of the riding surface-- to be difficult, challenging and fun. This goal for trails puts both the bike and rider under many times greater stress than bike riding. There is a much greater potential for injury.
    When you add those things together you want something that will take a beating day after day. You want something that you can control and be safe on while it and you are taking that beating.
    I agree and by the time I get to that point I will know by then if i just need to upgrade this bike or get a lot better one.

thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

motobecane

I have a motobecane for general riding and light trail (like trails in SF Golden Gate). Works great.

Members who have read this thread: 0