stop blowing tubes- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009

stop blowing tubes

Lately ive been going through tudes like crazy my PIS is at 38. The local trail have some thorns so im curious if switching to UST tubless tires be better? If the thorns are popping the tubes wont it also pop the tires? Also will i need to get new rims for tubeless?

tubeless systems use a sealant that will seal up any thorn punctures immediately as they happen.

typically don't need new rims to go tubeless. possibly would need new tires depending on the make/model of your current ones.

watch the videos here...
    http://www.notubes.com/support_movie...807e8803642bf9
    http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...rch_type=&aq=f

....to get an idea of what it takes to make the switch. well worth the effort, imho. i still haven't flatted since going tubeless over a year ago.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Where can i get the sealent do i have to get it on line or will autozone have some?

your local bike shop should carry some 'stans' or similar solution....i don't think the 'slime' from autozone would work the same way. or you can buy it online. or buy that kit from the notubes.com website (albeit the ghetto tubeless in those youtube videos will be cheaper)

cougarbait
    I recommend ghetto tubeless with gorilla tape and stan's.
    09AS-Rsl/09Six

mtbr member
    May 2009
    gorilla tape tubeless if you don't ride on terrain that might want to grab your tire (like rock gardens) gorilla tape is a bit easier, cleaner, and it's easy to re-use. But it also has a higher risk of "burping" air from the tire.

mtbr member
    Where's the best place to get these items?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Im trying the Garilla tape method and having the hardest time getting the tire to set on the bead kinda getting the impression that its not the right tyre used soap and water to help set the bead but nothing any one have any sugestions?

meow meow
    im not sure about tubeless but you could get those slime tubes. and run a slightly higher psi. i suspect you maybe pinch flatting also.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    hes running 38psi and pulling thorns out of his tires.. the thorns are definitely causing the flats

tubeless with sealant is the cure for thorns.

Underskilled
    +1 gheto tubeless, one of the best upgardes going.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Just finished the ghetto Tubless and i have to say it was a pain in the ass for me i dont have a Compressor. However the out come is great no leaks nothing now i can run my comfortable 38psi and not worry about a thing i did however have to buy new tyre wich was a needed upgrade for me anyway!!

Old man on a bike
    Quote Originally Posted by DAnREal
    Just finished the ghetto Tubless and i have to say it was a pain in the ass for me i dont have a Compressor. However the out come is great no leaks nothing now i can run my comfortable 38psi and not worry about a thing i did however have to buy new tyre wich was a needed upgrade for me anyway!!
    What size tire are you running? You might start experimenting with lower pressures, too.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

cougarbait
    yeah 38 psi is really high for tubeless
    40psi is max safe recommended if I recall correctly
    09AS-Rsl/09Six

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Now i have a Geax Saguaro 26x2.20. If im using my bike for comuting i figure 38 will be ok but at the trails im sure ill drop it at least to 34 maybe lower

Underskilled
    Don't worry Ghettoing a tyre is a skill, took me 3 hours+ for my first one, now it is normally just a few minutes each (no compressor).

For a pressure comparrison, if running 40PSI I will pinch quite fast on tubes.
    I run 7 on my front and 20 on my back tubeless.

The 7 is approximate, none of my guages go below 10.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Wow 7 psi is crazy low I had no idea you can go that low im afraid of un seating the bead and i tried like hell with a floor pump and couldnt get anything can you tell me what Tricks you used with a pump?

All fat, all the time.
    I run my gorilla tubeless at 25psi & they grip awesome.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I ran my garilla tape tubless at 30 in the front and 32 in the rear on a local rail and its great feels like another suspension i can really feel a differance thanks for the help every one

I think I need to Upgrade
    Lately ive been going through tudes like crazy my PIS is at 38. The local trail have some thorns so im curious if switching to UST tubless tires be better? If the thorns are popping the tubes wont it also pop the tires? Also will i need to get new rims for tubeless?
    How much do you weigh? What exactly is causing your flats? is it thorns (punctures), pinch flats, or tears in the tube?

Underskilled
    Wow 7 psi is crazy low I had no idea you can go that low im afraid of un seating the bead and i tried like hell with a floor pump and couldnt get anything can you tell me what Tricks you used with a pump?
    I use ghetto rim strip.
    take the valve out of it.
    fit your tyre, then absolutely soak the thing in warm soapy bubbles, 10x more than you think is necessary.
    Go around the whole tyre pushing in the top and pulling out the sides to get that bead close to the rim as possible. (obviously don't let it touch the floor at any time).
    squeeze the tyre flat above the valve then pump like mad for 3s.
    if it not mounted in 3, start again.

Bigger pump the better.

once you have air, pump the tyre to 40psi. then whip of the pump and fit the vale before it goes flat.

pump back upto 40.

leave for a couple of hours.

pushing the valve core let the tyre go flat SLOWLY, while not letting it touch the ground (until reinflated) break the bead with two tyre levers and pin open about 1".
    pour in sealent, then reinflate to 40.

go for a ride immediatly for at least 20 mins.

then slowly take the pressure down to what you want.

I am running Chris Holm freeride rims, the wider the rim the lower the pressure you can go.
    I am litterally a giant and have 7psi on front, but those rims are wide! 47mm.

Hope this is of use.

Members who have read this thread: 0