mtbr member

SS or Geared for MTB Newb

So for my first mtb I've decided to go with Haro (love their bmx's). Right now I am just torn between an Escape Sport and a Beasley SS. One is obviously gear-shift and the other is SS. As a first-timer which bike would I probably get the most out of.

ps i'm pretty sure i'll be able to handle the ss uphill cause 3 years of varsity xc and track do stuff to your thighs...

local trails rider
    If you are used to riding other kinds of bikes SS, I am sure you'll do fine on a SS mountain bike too.

That said, I cannot meet the top speeds of gearie bikes, on easy ground, level or down hill.

Do you plan to ride with groups? Sometimes riding SS with a bunch of gearies can be awkward: the rhythm of where you go hard and where you take it easy is pretty different.

It's about showing up.

Running is not riding a mountain bike

Even a good jock has to get inline behind the mountain bikers. You need to show some respect.

SS takes skill and properly delivered power. I doubt you have either just yet. I'd go with a geared bike.

not really an mtbr member
    go geared. it'll make your life a whole lot easier at first. if you decide you want SS after a while, go for it then.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkeley Mike
    Even a good jock has to get inline behind the mountain bikers. You need to show some respect.

SS takes skill and properly delivered power. I doubt you have either just yet. I'd go with a geared bike.
    haha **** didn't mean to step on any toes, and it's not like i've never rode a mtb up a hill dude.

i call it a kaiser blade
    May 2008
    you can modify a geared bike for SS, but you can't always make a geared bike out of a dedicated SS setup.

Fisher Fan
    Sep 2008
    Geared, hands down, imo.

local trails rider
    Looking at the Beasley SS pic, I think it is possible to put a derailer hanger on it.
    One thing to note is that the Beasley uses 650B size wheels which are not as common as 26" or 29": replacement tyres and rims are not as easy to get as in the more common sizes.

Rod
    mtbr member
    Geared for a first bike. You're going to suffer anyways and riding a singlespeed will make it a lot harder. OH yea, Mike above had it right. I'm in fantastic shape and I still have a hard chance catching the fast mountain bikers after two years. If you're starting you'll definitely fall in line behind the mountain bikers. It's not an insult, but the truth. There's a little more to it than riding a bike up a hill. You'll catch on fast and be near the front of the pack before you know it once you decide to do group rides.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkeley Mike

Wow, way to treat people. Ease up.
    Ignoranus: (N) A person who is both stupid and an a**hole.

Members who have read this thread: 0