Spring on Quick Release Question...- Mtbr.com
    MTB'er in Training
    Dec 2006

Spring on Quick Release Question...

So got a pinch-flat last night on my rear tire...thank god I travel with tools...it would have been a 3 mile hike to the car...

I had unscrewed the QR rod a little too much...so the tip came off...no biggie...still had all the pieces...some how between fixing the tube and putting the QR back on and the tire after that...we noticed the little spring that goes on the QR was missing...

What exactly does that piece do? I rode home fine without it...stopped several times to be sure my wheel wasn't coming loose.

Can I pick up springs like that at home depot...or will I need to hit a LBS?
    "Havin' a good time, here today...Watching the sun shine, matinee...Never the wrong time, time we stay...Living the moontime, time we play"

mtbr member
    The springs are just there to center the QR on the axle when the wheel's off the bike. They might make attaching the wheel a little easier, but other than that they have no purpose.
    Well, I was just riding along when...

mtbr member
    dont sweat it, those springs are not essential parts. if you take all 4 of those springs off your bike you'll probably save about a gram or two, just think how much faster you will be.

Enthusiast
    I believe the sole purpose of those two springs are to center the quick release so that it's easier for you to place your wheel into the drops. Identical springs on either side maintain an identical gap when things are loose. So long as the QR is tight, I don't believe the lack of a spring is an issue at all. (I'm not 100% certain of that though. Hopefully someone w/more expertise will chime in).

I would hit up an LBS for a replacement spring. I wouldn't want to hunt all over Home Depot looking for a bitty part like that. Easier just to go to the LBS.

mtbr member
    An LBS will probably just give it to you for free too.
    :wq

MTB'er in Training
    Dec 2006
    Cool...thanks for the insight! I just don't know if I will make the LBS prior to my Saturday morning ride...so didn't know if I HAD to get that prior to my ride Saturday...
    "Havin' a good time, here today...Watching the sun shine, matinee...Never the wrong time, time we stay...Living the moontime, time we play"

Members who have read this thread: 0