Sold my mtb and now looking to buy a Roadbike/Hybrid commuter- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Sold my mtb and now looking to buy a Roadbike/Hybrid commuter

Had a 1.6 fuji Nevada 1.6 29er with hydraulic brakes and it was a nightmare I will never again buy a bike with disk brakes

I am lucky I only lost 12 percent of the total cost of the bike and got back 88% of what I paid for it.

Now my lesson learn never buy a bike with disk brakes ever again.

I am in the market for something for asphalt road. My MTB was very slow my 29er felt like pedaling a bulldozer and I am not just talking the knobbies I mean my 26 inch chinese trash MTB is much easier to pedal I think this is inertia?

Anyways I heard road bikes are way easier to pedal on asphalt and they go much faster. And same goes for Hybrids since the only difference is the aero positioning of the handle bars.

I am looking at the Fuji Absolute 3.0 LE all the way down to the absolute 1.4

Anyother taught like say Giant etc? And what is your position on what should I get?

roadie or hybrid? will the roadie wind resistance be a great help over the hybrid upright positioning? here in the Caribbean we get a lot of wind. My commute to work is only 4 miles however I was thinking of going Cinema etc which is around 10 miles and end of the year I will be starting my final year in my Bsc and my school would be around 12 miles.

However I don't know if 12 miles is plenty as I am obese and it would mean 24 miles in total to return home so I could opt for taking the bus from my work which is the airport and go to school then come back and pick up my bike since the bus service runs often and late hours to the airport. This way a hybrid would work well for me.

since 4/10/2009
    *slaps forehead*

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    ^ what is ur taughts on this besides slapping yourself?

Perhaps you should try to educate me instead of slapping yourself?

btw ur taughts on Diamond back vs Fuji?

Specifically this one?

Amazon.com: Diamondback Bicycles 2014 Insight 1 Performance Hybrid Bike with 700c Wheels: Sports & Outdoors

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by john5220 View Post
    ^ what is ur taughts on this besides slapping yourself?

Perhaps you should try to educate me instead of slapping yourself?
    you never answered all the questions posed to you in your last thread. something was not jiving with your situation, and it wasn't that disc brakes suck. a lot of people have fantastic success with them. I haven't owned a bike without them for over 10 years. I, in particular, was making an attempt to ask questions that might have been able to narrow down or eliminate other possibilities. Some of them might be issues for any bike whether it has disc brakes or not. Addressing them might have resolved your issues. But you never answered those questions.

now, a mtb may well have been too slow for what you used it for. that's a separate question altogether. a good part of that will be the knobby tires. more street-appropriate tires would improve things, but the gearing still would have been lower than what you'd find on a road bike or hybrid. since your whining about disc brakes revolved around rotor drag, this would have probably been the biggest problem.

mtbr member
    If you're on the heavy side right now, a road bike might be uncomfortable for you. You can get one with a riser stem and a flat bar, which would make it similar to a cross bike.

Depending on your weight (you didn't say what it is), if you get something with road wheels, you will travel faster on asphalt. The skinny rims and tires, and the higher psi you can run in them roll much better than most 29er wheels and tires on smooth asphalt. Make sure the tires your new bike are rated for at least 90 psi.

If you do get a cross bike, don't get one with a suspension fork unless it has a lock out feature. A lot of them come with suspension forks now. If you're going to be riding on asphalt, you wouldn't need it, and it's going to be heavy and bouncy.

Ride a few before buying if you can.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    you never answered all the questions posed to you in your last thread. something was not jiving with your situation, and it wasn't that disc brakes suck. a lot of people have fantastic success with them. I haven't owned a bike without them for over 10 years. I, in particular, was making an attempt to ask questions that might have been able to narrow down or eliminate other possibilities. Some of them might be issues for any bike whether it has disc brakes or not. Addressing them might have resolved your issues. But you never answered those questions.

now, a mtb may well have been too slow for what you used it for. that's a separate question altogether. a good part of that will be the knobby tires. more street-appropriate tires would improve things, but the gearing still would have been lower than what you'd find on a road bike or hybrid. since your whining about disc brakes revolved around rotor drag, this would have probably been the biggest problem.
    With that said Jerrad did a fantastic job in sorting out my problems with diskbrakes. However due to the nightmares I had and yes I DID have nightmares about diskbrakes on my previous bike I will not be buying a bike with them again.

Notice in this thread I did not say diskbrakes suck I just said I learned my lesson and I am to avoid them. V brake is way easier for me to handle myself as I am accustomed to them over the years and they suite me well.

Its like buying a Jet to travel 10 feet compared to buying a Racing Car. Yes the Jet will get me there but the difference in benefit is pointless to me. My current rusted Chinese bike with its wheel waggling insane actually has NO brake at all. And it gets me too and from work so really a bike with v brake will do me well.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Centurion_ View Post
    If you're on the heavy side right now, a road bike might be uncomfortable for you. You can get one with a riser stem and a flat bar, which would make it similar to a cross bike.

Depending on your weight (you didn't say what it is), if you get something with road wheels, you will travel faster on asphalt. The skinny rims and tires, and the higher psi you can run in them roll much better than most 29er wheels and tires on smooth asphalt. Make sure the tires your new bike are rated for at least 90 psi.

If you do get a cross bike, don't get one with a suspension fork unless it has a lock out feature. A lot of them come with suspension forks now. If you're going to be riding on asphalt, you wouldn't need it, and it's going to be heavy and bouncy.

Ride a few before buying if you can.
    thanks buddy

I am 5 foot 11 inches and weigh 250 pounds. I dropped 20 so far riding I was 270.

Yeah none of the Fuji Absolute comes with suspensions of the sort.
    Infact here is a fuji absolute 3.0 hybrid its 90% road bike if you think about it

https://www.lee.org/blog/wp-content/...-Fuji-bike.jpg

And yeah I get penis cramps from hard small bike seats its not good for me at all. And I have a hard time bending my back I am not flexible because of my obese belly so I do think roadies may be an issue for me. Though Fuji insists that their Sportiff line of roadies are easier to handle compared to their Roubaix line thats positioned more aggressively.

I am contemplating the Absolute fuji 2.1 its only like $485 USD MSRP and its 26 pounds heavy.

I wonder whats the major difference with the fuji absolute line of bikes? can't be wheels because they all use vera terra.

I am a sucker for those chrome cassette bikes. The absolute 1.4 has chromes but locally they don't have my size in stock, I am trying to get over the mental block of not allowing me to buy a cheaper hybrid that has a black cassette.

I'd rather be on my bike
    I wouldn't let one issue that you still have not fully mentioned what it was deter you from disc brakes. A quality set of disc brakes really cannot be beat. Garbage low end disc brakes are just that, garbage. Looks like that Nevada came with Promax hydraulic brakes. Interesting read here: http://forums.mtbr.com/beginners-cor...es-769552.html

Some consider them to be worse than mechanical brakes.

Don't let this stop you from getting a bike with disc brakes. Avid BB7's are a fine mechanical brake that found quite often on CX bikes if you are in the market.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    ^ Yeah I read so much about Avid BB7. With their epic dual adjustment dials seems like a dream come true for me but offcourse any bike with them is like atleast $1000 USD and up.

So since I am starting over I will go with V brakes because I am riding short distances on flat road and our Caribbean tropical climate provides perfect weather for V brake stopping. Plus I can save a ton by getting V brakes. Perhaps Disk Brakes are better suited for MTB trails when it hits mud etc

Funny enough locally there are very few hybrids and or roadies that come with disk brakes. There is little market for them because of the Caribbean tropical climate. However we have tons of MTB now all with disk brakes it seems to be the norm.

But yes my nevada 1.6 came with Promax which was real garbage to say the least. The mechanic sorted out the issues on the 3rd try but I am of the belief garbage brakes are just that and proper brakes should start at around BB7.

Even when the drag was fixed with the promax, when you pulled the lever you would still feel the brake grinding and missing and making loud noises like its falling apart LOL I believe without a doubt Promax is some rubbish re-branded Chinese brakes made in some remote factory in China.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    LOL here is their website

ERK Brake | Promax Components - Cycle Group Inc.

ROFL check out their amazing 1991 rubbish Website.

And its moronic founder Toby Henderson makes me feel to punch that guy in his silly face, just look at him thinks he is so cool while ripping off people with his garbage product that is somehow found in bikes ranging at up to $1800 USD.

Name:  toby.png
Views: 736
Size:  63.9 KB

BTW your taughts on DiamondBack?

mtbr member
    Wow dude! Take a chill and look at the Giant Anyroad. Sounds like it could be up your alley! Little slower than a road bike but Very comfy! Rode it last week. Pretty sweet! Has avid bb7 mechanical brakes. Not really sure what the trouble was with your brakes but I would think you could adjust these to your liking! Check it out!
    Bill
    2013 Cannondale F29 1 Alloy
    2013 Cervelo S5 Rival
    2012 Trek X01 crosser
    2017 Trek Farley 7
    2017Trek Domane SLR 6

B A N N E D
    Apr 2007
    Sold my mtb and now looking to buy a Roadbike/Hybrid commuter
    Try here: http://www.roadbikereview.com/

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    ^ I will give it to you that Giant anyroad is one of the most beautiful piece of machines ever crafted especially with the BB7 and its upright road bars never seen a roadie like this.

But I will be honest currently its way out of my price range. LOL

Which is why I am going with the V brakes hybrids at $500 mark. I always say if I am to ever go Disk I am going nothing lower than BB7. But right now I can't go over $500 because of school fees etc. Thats why I am going more traditional bike that can get me around for the time being.

I am sure $500 can get me something pretty decent in V brake category.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    LOL here is their website

ERK Brake | Promax Components - Cycle Group Inc.

ROFL check out their amazing 1991 rubbish Website.

And its moronic founder Toby Henderson makes me feel to punch that guy in his silly face, just look at him thinks he is so cool while ripping off people with his garbage product that is somehow found in bikes ranging at up to $1800 USD.

Name:  toby.png
Views: 736
Size:  63.9 KB

BTW your taughts on DiamondBack?
    I am pretty sure that that's not a 1991 website, not even close. Here is an example of a 90's site: DPGraph: Dynamic Photorealistic 3D Graphing Software for Math and Physics Visualization

Oh and you should check out roadbikereview.com
    Last edited by Max24; 03-09-2015 at 11:15 PM.

mtbr member
    It really is a beautiful bike! Do check out the roadbikereview.com. I have been over there for a couple weeks. they will help you out there with a roadbike.
    Good luck!
    Bill
    2013 Cannondale F29 1 Alloy
    2013 Cervelo S5 Rival
    2012 Trek X01 crosser
    2017 Trek Farley 7
    2017Trek Domane SLR 6

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    LOL yeah I know a bit over exaggeration but you get the point.

Just hate that stupid looking guy who ruins newbies lives. People buying a new bike for the first time spending $640 USD "when you could get a decent diamond back for $230 on amazon or wallmart" and thanks to that nub you end up witha hydro disk brake thats horrid compared to if you went regular rubber vbrake.

It really ruins one's experience on the benefit of diskbrakes its really really so bad that he that stupid evil Toby Henderson is doing this to people and companies like FUJI are supporting him because of the money savings they get while tarnishing their reputation. I now consider FUJI to be of lower quality than Schwinn and GMC when it comes to bikes.

I will dedicate some to trolling FUJI on youtube because I see they love to respond to comments on their youtube page defending themselves/

OW and yeah checking out the link you posted.

mtbr member
    V brakes are great btw. Simple design, and more than adequate for riding on pavement.

I'd rather be on my bike
    What exactly are you looking for in a commuter other than the price? You could always go fixed gear, and then the only complaints about the brakes you would have, would be up to you.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    stupid evil Toby Henderson
    Ha! I think I uttered the exact same words back in ~y2k - I bought this THE (Toby Henderson Enterprises) rim that was supposed to be the magic cure for pinch flats (this was back before tubeless obviously). It had a big mushroomy extrusion on the inside surface of the rim, so when you bashed into something nasty, the tire wouldn't be compressed enough to pinch against the sidewall; you'd bottom out against the extrusion.

Problem was, the tire bead fit tight as hell in it's little pocket. I put a meaty old Tioga DH on my newly built wheel, pumped it up, found out my tube was flat, and found out that there's no way in hell my tire's coming back off the rim in one piece. Not even a chance of getting a bite with a tire lever either. After a bunch of wrestling with it, I decide it's useless to have a wheel where I can't even fix a frigging flat, so why waste a good tire about it. I got out the bolt cutters and slice that miserable rim to pieces, accompanied by much cursing. Never even got to ride the thing once. Stupid evil Toby Henderson.

Thanks for bringing that up.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    What exactly are you looking for in a commuter other than the price? You could always go fixed gear, and then the only complaints about the brakes you would have, would be up to you.
    Well I want a bike with the gears for the look aswell. Looks sexier with derauilers and gears. granted there are only slight inclines on my 4 mile ride to work the wind sometimes slows me down and I do need lower gears in situations like that because my wide obese body increases wind resistance also. At 5 foot 11 inch and 250 lbs the BMI calculators say I am morbid Obese or bordering anyways/

I am really picky and if I don't get a particular color I will be miserable. FUJI seems to have all the pretty colors that I want. I also like design quite a lot and the latest bikes seem to be what my heart wants.

I also have a hard time buying a bike without the chrome cassettes. I am such a sucker for flashy chrome cassettes. It looks so good in the sun with the lubed KMC chains they shine so well together.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    *slaps forehead*
    just hang on guys...this will only get better...the OP has quite a history in the brake forum...just keep throwing him bones, he loves 'em
    2014 Nail Trail 29...

mtbr member
    this has to be a troll, right?
    All good things in all good time

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mizzaboom View Post
    this has to be a troll, right?
    oh just check his post history. this has been going on for awhile.

Redcoat
    had my disc brakes for a while, never had to have a melt down once. in fact they are rather awesome.

cycling on the same asphalt all the time really doesnt rock my boat either.