Small frames in America- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Upset Small frames in America

Why don't they exist?

I have a ~28" inseam, and while I understand that stand over isn't actually that important while riding, I tend to ride in ways one should not (20" BMX up a MTB climbing trail, etc.), and while I can take a fall better than most and keep going, landing on your shoulder/hip is not the same as... landing on your bike.

I've been looking at AM bikes and frames (while slowly giving up on 29ers), and there are only a few which I can stand over at all (though, the frame would be resting against me) available in America. Every time I find a frame or complete which I would fit like a charm, it's either from a company which doesn't seem to sell bikes in America, or simply does not sell that size in America. Orange Five AM doesn't seem to be available, but I was looking for a hard tail anyway - On One for example has a 14" CF 456, but only sells the 16"+ sizes in America.

Is there ANY reasonable explanation for this? I went so far as to look up statistics on average height and inseam, and there is virtually no difference between the US and UK, so what's the deal? How does every company have the time to make frames for riders with short, weak arms ("women's" specific), but none for those of us with shorter inseams?

We can laugh about slapstick all day long, and poke fun and the misfortune of others, but getting kicked in the balls is worse than rape - this is strictly medically speaking, and I'm quoting doctors, take your crusade elsewhere if you want to [s]tell me[/s](there is no strikethrough tag, buu) explain why it's not the same emotionally - there's a reason some states treat them with the same legal severity.

Anyway, I discovered that if I want to buy some pants, American Eagle is the place to go (whatever I think of the company), as no where else carries my size. Is there a go to company I should be aware of, or perhaps an importer of Euro spec bikes?

PS. I think it's ridiculous that manufacturers treat their bikes like cars/disallow online sales. I understand why, and it's a beautiful act of compassion and solidarity toward retailers, but a little WTF for me. And clearly, it's just shortsighted - small Euro car models/makers were not sold in America because they assumed there was no market; I bet anyone living in a metropolitan area has seen quite a few Fiat 500s since they decided to test the market again.

Complain complain, I'm allowed to, it's my birthday today.

EDIT: As clear evidence that short riders are totally ignored, searching this forum resulted in jokes, and searching Google... the top hit is from 2002. And people wonder why short people are temperamental.
    Last edited by svghax; 10-25-2011 at 08:32 PM.

poser Administrator
    I am not sure about the availability of shorter bikes but I know that the big names tend to offer smaller frames in the hardtail segment which have reasonable standover (Trek, specialized, giant, etc). However once you get into the full suspension realm you get into a bottle neck with pivot placement, rocker clearance, shock clearance and BB height at max compression. Factor that in with the need for a certain height headtube to handle longer travel forks and you get to reach a minimum on standover that hovers right around 28-30inches.

The fact of the matter however is that that current length of suspension forks and those headtube requirements make really low standover a difficult number to achieve and most companies really don't care too much about standover because most follow the concept of "size your bike for riding not for standing over it in the parking lot". Which is pretty much the truth anyways. You chances off hitting the top tube with your dangly bits in a dangerous way is just as likely on a bike with low standover as one with a higher standover. When you consider the way that a crash or dismount occurs on trails the chances are just as good to hit your face on the handlebar as to hit that top tube. Your feet grip the pedals (or are clipped in), are in different locations front to back, the trail tilts and twist, the bike is pointed up or down, etc etc.

I have a short inseam of around 30" and I have been riding mountain bikes for close to 30 years and have never had a bad dismount where i have hit the top tube with crotch. I have hit my rear tire with my crotch much more and the back of my saddle and the top of my saddle multiple times, snagged my stem once and took my handlebar near some important bits but I have never hit the top tube.

They best thing to do it is buy a bike that will suit your method of riding and if you are really concerned about it just get a pad for the top tube, something to help you when you get off on a steep trail and forget the bar down there. Chances are that considering the cost of forgetting to dismount to one side or the other you will learn really quick and even in the most extreme crash you will be throwing the bike away from you as second nature, because frankly getting away from a machined aluminum knobbed, spinning disc brake, thin stainless steel spokes, small hard-ended aluminum tubes and miscellaneous other hard part waiting to take your skin off, makes bruises swell, break bones and knock the wind out of you becomes much more important than worrying about one type of rare get off.

Happy birthday BTW!
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher View Post
    I am not sure about the availability of shorter bikes but I know that the big names tend to offer smaller frames in the hardtail segment which have reasonable standover (Trek, specialized, giant, etc). However once you get into the full suspension realm you get into a bottle neck with pivot placement, rocker clearance, shock clearance and BB height at max compression. Factor that in with the need for a certain height headtube to handle longer travel forks and you get to reach a minimum on standover that hovers right around 28-30inches.

The fact of the matter however is that that current length of suspension forks and those headtube requirements make really low standover a difficult number to achieve and most companies really don't care too much about standover because most follow the concept of "size your bike for riding not for standing over it in the parking lot". Which is pretty much the truth anyways. You chances off hitting the top tube with your dangly bits in a dangerous way is just as likely on a bike with low standover as one with a higher standover. When you consider the way that a crash or dismount occurs on trails the chances are just as good to hit your face on the handlebar as to hit that top tube. Your feet grip the pedals (or are clipped in), are in different locations front to back, the trail tilts and twist, the bike is pointed up or down, etc etc.

I have a short inseam of around 30" and I have been riding mountain bikes for close to 30 years and have never had a bad dismount where i have hit the top tube with crotch. I have hit my rear tire with my crotch much more and the back of my saddle and the top of my saddle multiple times, snagged my stem once and took my handlebar near some important bits but I have never hit the top tube.

They best thing to do it is buy a bike that will suit your method of riding and if you are really concerned about it just get a pad for the top tube, something to help you when you get off on a steep trail and forget the bar down there. Chances are that considering the cost of forgetting to dismount to one side or the other you will learn really quick and even in the most extreme crash you will be throwing the bike away from you as second nature, because frankly getting away from a machined aluminum knobbed, spinning disc brake, thin stainless steel spokes, small hard-ended aluminum tubes and miscellaneous other hard part waiting to take your skin off, makes bruises swell, break bones and knock the wind out of you becomes much more important than worrying about one type of rare get off.

Happy birthday BTW!
    That may have been the best reply I've seen in quite a while, and fair enough. I'm sort of still in a... BMX/street mindset, which is likely making the difference in my mind - you generally have to commit to (stupid) things hard enough to make throwing the bike away more difficult. I wasn't really looking for inches of clearance, just the ability to stop and stand comfortably over while looking where I'll be going on new terrain (which is everything down here). Being able to move more on the bike as well, but the BB is so much higher on MTBs that while riding, I accept it as a non-issue.

I've found a few bikes with just enough clearance, I'm just kinda mad that they are none of the "entry level" bikes, at least in price point. Also, having medical insurance for the first time ever... still not use to the idea that a semi-serious injury won't ruin my life. Anyway, I wear boxer-breifs so... like a male sports bra.

ADDITIONAL: If anyone stumbles across this who wears boxers, you should stop, and your doctor will tell you the same. It's not about size, women with DDs don't remove their bras before going for a run, they put on styles with even more support.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Check out Jamis' 29er lineup. They tend to have very low standover...especially in the Exile lineup, due to the very low, sloping top tube. Hope you find something that fits you well.

mtbr member
    Between me riding BMX alot and being 5'2" I decided to go for a dirt jumper for a mtb. The frame fits me like a dream and it suits my riding style perfectly.

Something to consider. I got a Kona Cowan.
    --NC
    2008 Kona Cowan // 2005 Kona Cowan // 2009 Giant Modem // 2009 department store IronHorse // 1970s Schwinn roadie

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by svghax View Post

We can laugh about slapstick all day long, and poke fun and the misfortune of others, but getting kicked in the balls is worse than rape - this is strictly medically speaking, and I'm quoting doctors, take your crusade elsewhere if you want to tell me it's not the same emotionally - there's a reason some states treat them with the same legal severity.
    You want good advice, how about you stop spouting this complete asinine ******** from now on? I get it, you're 12 and this must be hilarious to you. How about you go volunteer with rape victims sometime and find out how close it is to getting kicked in the balls? If it's still hilarious after that, let me know because you're probably not getting kicked in the balls hard enough.

As for your bike question, did you consider a dirt jump bike? Not quite entry level but they can be had for cheap used.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by zebrahum View Post
    You want good advice, how about you stop spouting this complete asinine ******** from now on? I get it, you're 12 and this must be hilarious to you. How about you go volunteer with rape victims sometime and find out how close it is to getting kicked in the balls? If it's still hilarious after that, let me know because you're probably not getting kicked in the balls hard enough.

As for your bike question, did you consider a dirt jump bike? Not quite entry level but they can be had for cheap used.
    this is strictly medically speaking, and I'm quoting doctors, take your crusade elsewhere if you want to tell me it's not the same emotionally
    Reading is pro. I was in no way trying to belittle victims of violent rape, or those who are drugged (I was, though I was heading home anyway, lucky me), etc. I was simply pointing out that testicular trauma is much more serious than people recognize; including you, evidently.

The emotional side of rape is too complex to argue about, and thus I didn't want to hear it. There is far too much internal conflict among women to do anything about this at the moment; once, as a group, women either fall to the side of sexual freedom OR to the side of women's virtue, I'd love to talk, but that juxtaposition alone makes even trying to theorize about it in any sort of general way completely futile. Trying to would be insulting to those victims.

For the record, I'm 24, and anything but asinine - reading into something unwritten, and presuming someone is laughing at rape on the other hand, kind of is; and, if not, at the very least was fairly offencive. Not everyone younger is ignorant, not everyone older is intelligent, or even experienced.

As for the bikes, yes, I have given DJs a look... but I struggled to see how they will handle significantly differently than the 24" DJ BMX I had, and after testing a couple, my feelings were more or less confirmed.

I also tried a couple "women specific" frames, as they had a lower stand over, and... it's hard to explain, but I guess they just... felt a little off? I have very long arms, and despite smaller frames, most of the changes in geometry are, like I said, because of shorter arms with less muscle mass.

@mayberry32 - Those were on my 29er shortlist, but I think I've decided to go with a 26" - it'll make sizing easier, and I'm more interested in technical stuff, and the grind, than I am in smooth speed. Apparently I am a masochist.

@Kona_CT - I was thinking about it, but since I moved from the Bay to LA, all I want my bike to do is remove me from the city, and I'm pretty much done BMXing. :/

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    i ride a fuelEX 9.8 trek. 15.5, try that bike!

Picture Unrelated
    Reading is pro. I was in no way trying to belittle victims of violent rape, or those who are drugged (I was, though I was heading home anyway, lucky me), etc. I was simply pointing out that testicular trauma is much more serious than people recognize; including you, evidently.

The emotional side of rape is too complex to argue about, and thus I didn't want to hear it. There is far too much internal conflict among women to do anything about this at the moment; once, as a group, women either fall to the side of sexual freedom OR to the side of women's virtue, I'd love to talk, but that juxtaposition alone makes even trying to theorize about it in any sort of general way completely futile. Trying to would be insulting to those victims.

For the record, I'm 24, and anything but asinine - reading into something unwritten, and presuming someone is laughing at rape on the other hand, kind of is; and, if not, at the very least was fairly offencive. Not everyone younger is ignorant, not everyone older is intelligent, or even experienced.

As for the bikes, yes, I have given DJs a look... but I struggled to see how they will handle significantly differently than the 24" DJ BMX I had, and after testing a couple, my feelings were more or less confirmed.

I also tried a couple "women specific" frames, as they had a lower stand over, and... it's hard to explain, but I guess they just... felt a little off? I have very long arms, and despite smaller frames, most of the changes in geometry are, like I said, because of shorter arms with less muscle mass.

@mayberry32 - Those were on my 29er shortlist, but I think I've decided to go with a 26" - it'll make sizing easier, and I'm more interested in technical stuff, and the grind, than I am in smooth speed. Apparently I am a masochist.
    Your big words don't hide the fact you are an immature idiot. Comparing rape to getting hit in the nuts is not justifiable in any situation. I understand that you didn't mean emotional pain but that doesn't excuse the completely inappropriate comparison you were trying to make. If you are 24 then act like it. You're old enough to understand what is and is not an appropriate way to describe how much you don't want your precious bits hammered in. You are an adult (apparently, shocking really) act like it and you'll be treated as if you were.

Sad fact is that your body shape is not the 95% that most bikes are designed for. You might be able to remedy a women's frame bike with a longer stem/wide bar to compensate for your long arms or you might be able to do the same with a men's frame. Actually many women's bikes differ very little in the frame from a men's bike and the differences are mainly in the bars/brakes/saddles.

A 26" DJ bike will feel similar to your 24" but you can set it up with a suspension fork and knobby tires and you'll hardly notice that it's different from any other type of bike. Well, they are typically heavier but if you can get past that then it might be a valid option. My DJ feels different from when I have the seat slammed and slicks on it to when I have knobbies on with the seat up on the trail. But it's not going to be an efficient XC machine.

I don't think you'll find a good standover with a 29er frame, the tall wheels pick it the frame up a bit making an already tough sizing issue worse.

Standover isn't the end of the world, the bike I ride terrifies people when they read the geometry table because of its high standover height. When I straddle it I am resting gently on the top tube (if you catch my drift) and I've never had a dismount that put a sensitive area in peril. Think about how often you dismount to two flat feet, very rarely. Instead you end up to one side or the other. If you truly are looking for an AM bike then you have to come to terms that the more suspension travel you have directly impacts your standover height unless you're going to pay the big bucks for custom stuff.

Take a look at Chromag's lineup, Transition TransAM, and the Kona Steely. Those are long travel hardtails and they might offer more options for your search. I haven't looked into their sizing, so I'm sorry I can't point you in a more specific direction.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by zebrahum View Post
    Your big words don't hide the fact you are an immature idiot. Comparing rape to getting hit in the nuts is not justifiable in any situation. I understand that you didn't mean emotional pain but that doesn't excuse the completely inappropriate comparison you were trying to make. If you are 24 then act like it. You're old enough to understand what is and is not an appropriate way to describe how much you don't want your precious bits hammered in. You are an adult (apparently, shocking really) act like it and you'll be treated as if you were.

Sad fact is that your body shape is not the 95% that most bikes are designed for. You might be able to remedy a women's frame bike with a longer stem/wide bar to compensate for your long arms or you might be able to do the same with a men's frame. Actually many women's bikes differ very little in the frame from a men's bike and the differences are mainly in the bars/brakes/saddles.

A 26" DJ bike will feel similar to your 24" but you can set it up with a suspension fork and knobby tires and you'll hardly notice that it's different from any other type of bike. Well, they are typically heavier but if you can get past that then it might be a valid option. My DJ feels different from when I have the seat slammed and slicks on it to when I have knobbies on with the seat up on the trail. But it's not going to be an efficient XC machine.

I don't think you'll find a good standover with a 29er frame, the tall wheels pick it the frame up a bit making an already tough sizing issue worse.

Standover isn't the end of the world, the bike I ride terrifies people when they read the geometry table because of its high standover height. When I straddle it I am resting gently on the top tube (if you catch my drift) and I've never had a dismount that put a sensitive area in peril. Think about how often you dismount to two flat feet, very rarely. Instead you end up to one side or the other. If you truly are looking for an AM bike then you have to come to terms that the more suspension travel you have directly impacts your standover height unless you're going to pay the big bucks for custom stuff.

Take a look at Chromag's lineup, Transition TransAM, and the Kona Steely. Those are long travel hardtails and they might offer more options for your search. I haven't looked into their sizing, so I'm sorry I can't point you in a more specific direction.
    This is actually just how I talk, not how I argue to press my points home with perceived intelligence - for example, I was explaining, not posing a rebuttal (I wanted to, though). My friend had a child a few years ago, and about a month ago was playing around with him, and ended up with testicular torsion. Excuse me if the idea of passing out/vomiting from pain, and upon waking up, taking a trip to the ER for surgery and organ removal isn't something I took lightly. Especially as, if it were to happen biking, it wouldn't be near... anything.

I've pretty much decided to look at 26" HTs, and the TransAM was actually at the top of my list, though I haven't had a chance to check one out in person. As for crashing, if you can deal with watching bike crash videos on youtube, BMX crashes are very different from MTB crashes, but given what I saw, you're right, it should be a non-issue, things tend to go over at an angle. BMX crashes are... I don't want to say harder, but... messier? Less refined doesn't sound right to me...

I'm going to keep looking at HTs, as this would make me happy, but if someone else happens to ask about FS AMs for short legs, the Trek Slash comes in at 22-23" SO on the 15.5. (57.9-58.5cm)

Seriously, I kind of feel like this isn't right, because I poured over the Trek site a number of times before, and I feel I would have noticed this, but it jumped out when I went back just now to take another look at the Fuel - thanks lloyd!!

Sadly, it's a little out of my price range for now (at least I'm not running around with a picket sign asking for free money and trying to put banks out of business), but if I can double check that this is the correct height, and decide to go FS, and put off buying a bike for a couple months, BLAM!

EDIT: If you want to Google the Trek Slash make you sure put "bike" in the search field, just saying...
    Last edited by svghax; 10-25-2011 at 09:28 PM.

mtbr member
    My first ever Dustoff mission was testicular torsion. Of course we didn't know it when we launched our Huey. Call came in as a ANG soldier screaming on the ground. His bp was so high he blew the cap of his catheter when our flt medic was trying to start his IV. 5' fountain of blood. He had only been horse back riding the day before to cause it.

Had 3 more yrs of even worse missions that made this one get filed under *humorous*.

/thread hijack

mtbr member
    Is your inseam measurement the actual measurement OR what your pants inseam size?.. as they will be different actual measurements. Your actual inseam measurement will help the search for the right sized bike, without getting one a bit smaller than you need.

I've got a 30" inseam ... I ride a 17" Kona Cinder Cone (HT). I should be riding an 18" ... but with my inseam, the stand over was a bit too close for comfort.

I may be a bit biased ... but check out Kona bikes and the geometry of the 14"-ers and prehaps a 15" maybe even a 16" ... they should do you fine. They are not too hard to find used.(eBay & Craigslist ... at least my local CL. Last month on my local CL ... there was a Kona Fire Mountain 14" (2010) for only $350 and a for $500 there were a selection of 2011 Fire Mountains in different sizes)

Kona_CT's mentioned a jump bike ... which isn't a bad idea.
    I was just toying with the idea of changing a Banshee Scratch from a jump bike into a AM, since I prefer a lower top tube; and Scratch frames are set up to be adjustable for different riding styles/types. I passed on it due to the bike being way too heavy a bike.

My $0.02
    Last edited by ubado; 10-26-2011 at 08:36 AM.

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    Titus makes XXS XC (X frame)....and a XS Trail frame (FTM)
    Titus Bicycles US - About Us

they are also made in America and very, very fine bike frames. I raced one for 2 seasons (Racer-X) for XC, SS and endurance..;...My wife has a 24lb 5" travel Motolite.

if you're not a kid who is still growing a Titus frame will last you for years and years and years....

there's also Performance brand Access frames that run very small (and are inexpensive).

my .02

ps - for a 29'er look into a custom Quiring.

EDIT - standover is overrated....ETT is key in fit.
    Click Here for Forum Rules

mtbr member
    im glad i need a small frame, thats how i picked up my bike on closeout. they couldnt get rid of the smalls they had in stock.
    Gary Fisher HiFi Deluxe 29er

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaLL6 View Post
    My first ever Dustoff mission was testicular torsion. Of course we didn't know it when we launched our Huey. Call came in as a ANG soldier screaming on the ground. His bp was so high he blew the cap of his catheter when our flt medic was trying to start his IV. 5' fountain of blood. He had only been horse back riding the day before to cause it.

Had 3 more yrs of even worse missions that made this one get filed under *humorous*.

/thread hijack
    Not a threadjack at all, anecdotal or otherwise, guys need to be more aware of the issues which can come of... an accidental twist... also... OH GOD?!

Quote Originally Posted by ubado View Post
    Is your inseam measurement the actual measurement OR what your pants inseam size?.. as they will be different actual measurements. Your actual inseam measurement will help the search for the right sized bike, without getting one a bit smaller than you need.

I've got a 30" inseam ... I ride a 17" Kona Cinder Cone (HT). I should be riding an 18" ... but with my inseam, the stand over was a bit too close for comfort.

I may be a bit biased ... but check out Kona bikes and the geometry of the 14"-ers and prehaps a 15" maybe even a 16" ... they should do you fine. They are not too hard to find used.(eBay & Craigslist ... at least my local CL. Last month on my local CL ... there was a Kona Fire Mountain 14" (2010) for only $350 and a for $500 there were a selection of 2011 Fire Mountains in different sizes)

Kona_CT's mentioned a jump bike ... which isn't a bad idea.
    I was just toying with the idea of changing a Banshee Scratch from a jump bike into a AM, since I prefer a lower top tube; and Scratch frames are set up to be adjustable for different riding styles/types. I passed on it due to the bike being way too heavy a bike.

My $0.02
    It's from my naked heal to my taint (gosh I'm candid), shoes only add about 1/2", I wear pants of the same inseam, but they are low-rise and slide down my hips a bit. I'll be wearing something more suitable for riding when I do, haha - my girlfriend got me some riding clothes for my birthday - funny how clothing sucks when you're 12, but is excellent, and thoughtful when you're twice that.

I've been out of any bike game for too long to tell the difference between used and abused, and sadly I'm the hardest rider I know at the moment, so I've decided to shoot for a factory build to get back in the swing of things... thus the difficulty. I feel confident-ish in building something, but I have no clue as to the new stuff. 29ers were a wet dream when I last bought a bike... now they're everywhere.

I'm only 125lbs, and I want something tossable, which is why I'm shying away from heavier stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by CHUM View Post
    Titus makes XXS XC (X frame)....and a XS Trail frame (FTM)
    Titus Bicycles US - About Us

they are also made in America and very, very fine bike frames. I raced one for 2 seasons (Racer-X) for XC, SS and endurance..;...My wife has a 24lb 5" travel Motolite.

if you're not a kid who is still growing a Titus frame will last you for years and years and years....

there's also Performance brand Access frames that run very small (and are inexpensive).

my .02

ps - for a 29'er look into a custom Quiring.

EDIT - standover is overrated....ETT is key in fit.
    Thanks, I hadn't heard of that brand (Performance), I'll look into it tomorr- well, later today, when I wake up... I've been too far out of things to theorize a custom, but... I'm not sure how to continue this line of... talking... sleep... And, had seen, but not researched Titus yet... to do list~ wish I had Siri... :/

Seriously though, thank you all, few forums offer this much honest help, regardless of topic.

poser Administrator
    That may have been the best reply I've seen in quite a while, and fair enough. I'm sort of still in a... BMX/street mindset, which is likely making the difference in my mind - you generally have to commit to (stupid) things hard enough to make throwing the bike away more difficult. I wasn't really looking for inches of clearance, just the ability to stop and stand comfortably over while looking where I'll be going on new terrain (which is everything down here). Being able to move more on the bike as well, but the BB is so much higher on MTBs that while riding, I accept it as a non-issue.

I've found a few bikes with just enough clearance, I'm just kinda mad that they are none of the "entry level" bikes, at least in price point. Also, having medical insurance for the first time ever... still not use to the idea that a semi-serious injury won't ruin my life. Anyway, I wear boxer-breifs so... like a male sports bra.

ADDITIONAL: If anyone stumbles across this who wears boxers, you should stop, and your doctor will tell you the same. It's not about size, women with DDs don't remove their bras before going for a run, they put on styles with even more support.
    You ride in Boxers? Holy crap man! That is insane. Best bet, pick up some of the padded cycling shorts from one of the online retailers, you can wear them under whatever you ride in, they'll keep your happy sacks held up and out of the way, give you less friction down there when riding and give your butt bones a break on extended rides. No need to go full spandex if you don't need it or want it but the padded undershort will make your riding much more bearable and much less pendulous.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher View Post
    You ride in Boxers? Holy crap man! That is insane. Best bet, pick up some of the padded cycling shorts from one of the online retailers, you can wear them under whatever you ride in, they'll keep your happy sacks held up and out of the way, give you less friction down there when riding and give your butt bones a break on extended rides. No need to go full spandex if you don't need it or want it but the padded undershort will make your riding much more bearable and much less pendulous.
    Boxer-breifs (like these: https://underwearprophet.files.wordp...oxerbriefs.jpg SFW, but it is a guy wearing them if that bothers anyone), boxers are stupid even when not riding, IMO. I have some padded shorts, somewhere, but you make it sound like they have... padded underwear? That sounds amazing! I dislike the padded shorts because... the pad is... not tight? Moves around... and I would rather ride in jeans/shorts depending on the weather.

BMX/stakeboarding experience has shown me how protective denim can be in a fall - slide ~50 feet on blacktop and only wear through the back pockets? Win; I need to get some shin/knee stuff for when I wear shorts though.

Rollin' a fatty Moderator
    Titus or Carver and both make 26 and 29 bikes.

mtbr member
    I've only got a 30" inseam and have no problem finding a bike that fits. Some manufacturers, that's a S, some it's a M. With 14" and even 13" frames (bb to seat post) out there, I find it hard to believe you can't find a frame that fits. Now, 29er? That adds a whole new dimension to it. Better than average chance you'll have 'toe overlap' issues and/or the frame will just feel plain weird with the big wheels (just my experience).

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I have the same issue with a 27 inseam and arms are a little longer than they should be.
    I spent some time on a small 13 Rockhopper but the bike was too short and I did not like the feel of the long stem I had on there.
    Then I got a Sette Shadow DJ frame. I liked it better but as I got into trails with more climbing I was having too much trouble. The feel of the bike was better but the chainstay was too short and it could not climb.
    Now I have a 14 On-One 456 Summer season. I really love this frame. It climbs much better than the DJ I had. The frame is a little longer than most for that size so I could run with a 80mm stem. I ordered it from England since they did not have it here yet. I wish I would have got the regular 456 since the Summer season is hurting me in tighter single track. I am a dork and got it because it was orange. I still love the bike though. The small frame is really not all that heavy. It was lighter than the Sette Shadow frame which is aluminum.

mtbr member
    Short guy here...lalala...okay, that out of the way, I'm 5'1" and maybe a few inches more on a good day. I have a Niner Air9 in size small (obviously) and it fits me fine. Love it. I think Niner 29er bikes are pretty well suited for riders on the shorter side compared to other 29er brands.

On full suspension, I have a size 13" Jamis Dakar XLT (20th anniversary edition). It fits me perfectly, but then come to think of it, I sometimes feel it's a tad small. I think Titus also makes bikes for shorter riders. Most of my bikes are actually in the 16" range, with some being 16.5". They all fit me fairly well. I usually prefer shorter stems and all my cranks are 170. I also keep my seatpost raised as high as possible.

Just look around.

A bit off topic, I once dated a girl who was way taller than me, but that's another story.

T.W.O.
    There are plenty of small and XS bike available in Socal. If you have a problem locating one PM me. What's your budget? I own and have been on plenty of Small and XS bikes. I'm 5'7" with almost 30" inseam and been on plenty of bikes from XS to XL the stand over was never an issues.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    short inseam guy here...I was able to find a Hardrock Disc 29er in a 15.5" frame...fits like a glove, rides like a dream...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Small frames in America-after-oleta-11-12-11.jpg  

Small frames in America-hrck1.jpg  

rider
    Feb 2008
    5'3" here and ride a small mojo, i cant comfortably stand over the frame but ive never needed to? have smashed my bits on the bar and stem though, and not shooting blanks yet.

Trek and specialized both make 13" frames on their entry level bikes. You can get a 13" women's frame if you are worried about it, or a 24"mtb from scott, but I doubt you'll need it. All these bikes are available in the US.

I ride a 15" frame and it fits perfect but Ive ridden 17" frames without too much trouble

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004

While I would have been a bit gentler than Zebrahum in bringing it up, I had a similar reaction to your rape reference.

In addition to being inappropriate, it was irrelevant and incorrect on several counts. The impact of rape has to do with far more than the actual physical (medical) harm done. This is why it is treated completely differently than a physical non-sexual assault (I believe that you are mistaken that it is treated the same as any other physical assault in any state). Further, the medical injuries of rape can range from very little (no different than consensual sex) to extreme (permanent, disfiguring injuries). Whatever doctor told you that getting hit in the nuts is medically worse than getting being raped is an idiot.

Face it, it was a really stupid comparison. You were comparing a strictly physical injury to something that is emotional and contextual in its very definition (which in some cases is worse physically as well).

Further, it was inflammatory, and you clearly knew it would be. You brought up this non-sequitur in order to get some people offended, and you got called out on it.

Inflammatory, irrelevant, and inaccurate on several counts. Is there anything I am missing?
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta View Post
    While I would have been a bit gentler than Zebrahum in bringing it up, I had a similar reaction to your rape reference.

In addition to being inappropriate, it was irrelevant and incorrect on several counts. The impact of rape has to do with far more than the actual physical (medical) harm done. This is why it is treated completely differently than a physical non-sexual assault (I believe that you are mistaken that it is treated the same as any other physical assault in any state). Further, the medical injuries of rape can range from very little (no different than consensual sex) to extreme (permanent, disfiguring injuries). Whatever doctor told you that getting hit in the nuts is medically worse than getting being raped is an idiot.

Face it, it was a really stupid comparison. You were comparing a strictly physical injury to something that is emotional and contextual in its very definition (which in some cases is worse physically as well).

Further, it was inflammatory, and you clearly knew it would be. You brought up this non-sequitur in order to get some people offended, and you got called out on it.

Inflammatory, irrelevant, and inaccurate on several counts. Is there anything I am missing?
    Agreed. Inappropriate.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lito820 View Post
    short inseam guy here...I was able to find a Hardrock Disc 29er in a 15.5" frame...fits like a glove, rides like a dream...
    How high above the saddle are those bars? I'll bet it would corner a ton better if you flipped the stem over so that you you could get a bit of weight on the front tire.

And as far as stand over clearance goes, it's over rated. Lean your bike to the side when you're standing over it - problem fixed. I generally keep my butt on my saddle when I stop - if you lean the bike over by 15-20 degrees your foot is on the ground and your butt is planted firmly on the saddle. When you're ready to go, straighten up the bike and ride.

The only time you ever worry about stand over is when you're measuring stand over. If it comes into play when you're riding the bike, you're likely doing it wrong.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    29" inseam here.My first hardtail bike was a giant rincon xs 14" .I am on a GT FS 15.5" frame now with no problems.Like the guy before me said standover doesnt mean a whole bunch

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    UK has lots of small frames, good excuse for a trip.

I4NI
    Short leg guy here 26"inseam. All my bikes are small framed. Not all of them are the same. One of my older(favorites) is my giant yukon. Fits me better than my other more expensive bikes. Shop around
    There....Are... Four...Lights!