Single Chainring- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Single Chainring

Hello!
    Whats the advantage to running a single chainring? Seen a few people with this set up.
    Thinking about doing it but not sure if its a good set up for a trailbike. The bike is a Specialized Camber.

Thanks
    BBELL

mtbr member
    Simplicity, weight savings, run a short cage rear der, no more chainslap on the front der. There are a few advantages but make sure you're fit enough to run it on your trails before you go.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Assuming you are going to ditch the granny and only keep the middle ring (32 or 34) the biggest advantageis it will force you to become a stronger rider. Kind of like Single Speeding, it forces you to attack the down-hills so you have enough momentum to get up the next hill.

All the other stuff about less chain-slap, weight-savings, simplicity are really minor benefits (especially since without a front der you are gonna have to invest in some kind of chain-retention system that kind of cancels out the weight savings)

Another benefit is other riders will give you compliments when you get to the top of the hill on your 6 inch AM bike and while your chit-chatting they suddenly realize you have no granny ring

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I didn't find many advantages when I ran a single ring. 5 hours into an enduro you need that granny ring and if you like riding to the trail head the big ring is helpful.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Yeah I agree.....single ring really not advantageous racing XC or Enduro. Also hurts not having one on really, really long epic rides with tons of climbing.

But for my typical rides between 10 and 15 miles with moderate climbing single ring is OK.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I ran a single ring for the about a year on my previous bike. The weight savings and simplicity are nice, but sucks on long steep climbs. My new rig is 3x9 and I think I am going to keep it that way. I may ditch the large ring someday.

mtbr member
    Ditching the larger chainrings also give you more clearance over logs, rocks, etc.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbajoe72 View Post
    Ditching the larger chainrings also give you more clearance over logs, rocks, etc.
    Thanks for this answer...I was wondering why so many did this and I couldn't see much weight savings from losing one chain-ring.
    Please visit my bike blog! And if you click a few banner ads, I wouldn't complain!
    http://realworldbiking.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    makes a lot of sense if you are into DH riding...

mtbr member
    Cool!! Thanks for all the responses. I think I'll go with a double until I have my fitness up to par.
    BBELL