mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Should I Upgrade Now??

I currently have a steel trek 950 that I bought from a friend six years ago, I believe the bike is a 1998 or 1999. It has a manitou shock and fairly good components for its day. I am not really sure what size it is. Not happy with the gripshift at all. So the bike was never fit to my specifications. I have put some money into the bike upgrading the tires,grips,seatpost handlebars and stem and dont want to put any more money in the bike.

I really want a new bike to take advantage of some of the advancements in bike technolgy such as disc brakes, lighter frames, trigger shifters. Unfortunatly I dont have a huge budget for this probably in the $500 to $600 range right now. Should I stick with what I have and keep building my skills and save for a better bike or get a new one now and probably have more fun. thanks for any help.

Brant-C.
    if this bike isn't broken, i'd just look for shifters that you want. it's going to be a lot less expensive than buying a new bike.

ride the heck out of this bike this year. see how you feel about it after the first couple of months of riding.

then if you REALLY still want a new bike...go test/demo as many bikes as you can.

good luck and have fun!
    I just like riding my mountain bike.

Cheezy Rider
    I say 6 years is enough, go for the new bike. But don't expect to get a good full suspension rig for that price, and even a hardtail will have marginal components. You should be able to get a decent frame that's worth upgrading as parts wear out...or you might find a killer deal on a year end close-out.

mtbr member
    Keep this Trek for a little longer. Now is the wrong time to go for a new bike. Season starts, prices go up. Ride the bike this season and aim to buy a new bike in fall.

If the grip shift really bugs you: Ask around (local bike shops, friends) if they could do an inexpensive ($30) replacement e.g using pre-owned parts.

Come fall you hopefully can invest more money (start saving!) and you'll get more bike for the buck as bike sales start to tumble and shops begin to worry about not selling their stock.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I was just at performance and they had a 2007 warrior 3.0 with Deore components, disc brakes and a Mazacchi Mz fork, for $449, the gary fisher parahna looks pretty good too.
    This wife doesnt want me to get a new bike, she thinks $500 is way too much!! I might just stick with the trek 950 for the season and save and get a tassajara or trek 6500 next year. I need to stop reading mountain biking magazines because they only have the high end stuff!!! wish they had more articles and reviews on more entry level to intermediate bikes.

mtbr member
    You are so right - and your wife might be so wrong... But my wife (and I truly love her) had the same attitude befor she started to ride a bit more seriously and begun to realize the difference fit, geometry and components can make. But mind you, all depends on usage. It took quite some time to develop her skills and going more and more advanced trails before my wife changed her opinion.

Wrt the magazines: You are so right.
    Price of a bike: All depends where, by who and how often a bike is used.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Have patience and wait for the sales like said above. Reading these forums can make you dizzy when all the opinions about what is best and what you have to have go flying.

The soul of the sport is having fun and challenging yourself. The bike comes second.

That being said my OPINION is if you wait til fall you and get a bike priced at $900 dollars now for your price range of 500-600.

Have fun and beat the crap out of the bike you will be replacing this season.

mtbr member
    Save your money and get a bike in the fall. In the mean time, ride the hell out of your Trek and prove to your wife that MTBing is something that you enjoy and is not just a passing fad. Bonus points if you get her involved.

since 4/10/2009
    Yeah, I agree to stick with what you've got for now. You should be able to find some decent shifters at a good price if you look around (call local shops, check ebay, check bike parts stores online, etc). I got a set of oem takeoff LX triggers for my wife's bike for about 60% off retail at a local shop.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Thanks guys for all the advice, I will be keeping the bike and probaly just switch out the shifters and try to enjoy the sport as much as I can this spring and summer. Unfortunatly the cold hard facts are that we are trying to pay down dept, buy a house someday! and I am looking for a job where I can make more money so a major purchase right now just dosent make sense. I guess I will ride my bike around town more to save gas.

Rod
    mtbr member
    I also recommend buying some shifters, especially since that's the major fault with the bike. If you get the good job and some debt paid off it makes a lot of sense to buy a new bike. Almost any shifters will do fine. I haven't had a problem out of my shimano alivio, low end, shifters. They came stock on a 450 dollar hardtail and they work fine. If you can find a good deal on better shifters I would get them, but if not the other shifters work fine.

Oh yea I also agree about mtb magazines. I'm a college student so I can't afford a 6k-8k full suspension bike. I'm wasting my time reading the article, but I still find myself doing it. You also don't see hardtails listed unless it's in the beginner section of what bikes to buy.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

since 4/10/2009
    I read those rags in college a lot...gave me gear lust in a bad way. I stopped reading them years ago and my spending on bike parts has calmed significantly. I still do regular maintenance (chain/cassette, lube, check bearings, etc), but new purchases for the heck of it are minimal (and only if I get a good deal).

Members who have read this thread: 0