Should I keep the Walmart?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 59 of 59
  1. #1
    Still New
    Reputation: gemini9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    513

    ... and if we just ... Should I keep the Walmart?

    Now that I've ordered my Windsor Cliff 4900 and it will be here tomorrow, I need to decide what to do with my walmart ride. Since it's a full suspension bike. I'm wondering if I should just keep it and maybe could upgrade it in the future instead of of buying a whole new full suspension bike. When I'm ready for a FS, couldn't I take the Fork off my Windsor and drivetrain and swap it onto the FS Wally ride? Front fork on wally ride has ab 50 mm of travel and kinda sucks. Rear suspend seems solid tho. Wally ride actually seems like it would be a decent bike with some upgrading. Fork and plastic pedals would have to go. Stickers would have to come off. Frame seems doable. I think with a few upgrades, it would be alright and would probably save me some money?

  2. #2
    T.W.O.
    Reputation: mimi1885's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,172
    There's no upgrading the walmart bike, it would be a waste of money. Return it if you can. If you need more reason go to your local bike shop or REI and try test riding a Giant Trance, Trek fuel EX, Specialized FSR, or Cannondale Rize, then you tell me if your Walmart would be worth upgrading. Sometimes you just need to know what to compare to and the bench mark.

    Have fun with your Cliff, return the bike today so you don't have to deal with it later.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    838
    Gemini

    Listen to mimi, don't upgrade the Walmart bike. If you want, keep it around and use it as a spare bike.
    2009 Access 9.5 29er
    2010 Diamondback Insight RS (700c hybrid)
    Velorazzo frame build (26)

  4. #4
    Class Clown
    Reputation: dundundata's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,411
    No way! Could make a decent beater/video game retriever bike though.

  5. #5
    It's all about the FSR!
    Reputation: Heavy Fluid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    445
    I saw what Wal-Mart considers to be a "full suspension" bike. What a joke. Return it, and never look back.

  6. #6
    Still New
    Reputation: gemini9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    513
    Yeah that's what I figured you'd say lol. But I thought I'd see what other opinions were. I had read some places online where people had upgraded their wally rides with new forks, pedals and cassettes.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,314
    If you can't return it, have a cookout this summer for your mtbr buds and host a wallyride toss A.K.A. Huffy toss. Winner with longest distance thrown gets a case of some really good microbrew.

  8. #8
    It's all about the FSR!
    Reputation: Heavy Fluid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    445
    Quote Originally Posted by gemini9
    Yeah that's what I figured you'd say lol. But I thought I'd see what other opinions were. I had read some places online where people had upgraded their wally rides with new forks, pedals and cassettes.
    I am sure that you can do this, but why? Once you ride a better bike, you will see why everyone is saying what they are.

    I remember when I got my first Target bike, I thought it was great. Even upgrading to a Diamondback Response Sport from Dick's Sporting Goods was a move forward. Then on to Specialized and then a KHS, and now back to Specialized.....you start to realize how big of a pos the Wal-Mart/Target bike really is.

  9. #9
    Enthusiast
    Reputation: JonathanGennick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    5,348
    Do not upgrade the Walmart bike. Ride it if you want, but do not sink money into it.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    440
    Ahh....I've been to a few mtb festivals where the huffy toss was an event.

    Some of those dudes could really make those things fly.

    Fun times....

    I also remember the tire pull, slow race, bike sumo, hill climb, bike limbo and bunny hop contests. Man...never laughed so hard in my laugh.

  11. #11
    T.W.O.
    Reputation: mimi1885's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,172
    Although it would be cool to put all the upgrades to a Walmart bike and go for a group ride, I can put the parts from this bike and see the reaction, now I gotta find me a frame

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    206
    ^those are amazing bikes. I just can't get over how ugly the Mavericks are...Oh well function over form any day of the week.

  13. #13
    Still New
    Reputation: gemini9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    513
    You've no chain guards for your front deraileurs!

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavy Fluid
    I am sure that you can do this, but why? Once you ride a better bike, you will see why everyone is saying what they are.

    I remember when I got my first Target bike, I thought it was great. Even upgrading to a Diamondback Response Sport from Dick's Sporting Goods was a move forward. Then on to Specialized and then a KHS, and now back to Specialized.....you start to realize how big of a pos the Wal-Mart/Target bike really is.
    +1
    I started on a Wally bike, moved to Gary Fisher then Specialized. Wait until you get on a real mountain bike you will be amazed.

  15. #15
    Still New
    Reputation: gemini9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    513
    Quote Originally Posted by morningmist
    +1
    Wait until you get on a real mountain bike you will be amazed.
    ... Is a Windsor Cliff 4900 a REAL mountain bike?

  16. #16
    bi-winning
    Reputation: rkj__'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    11,108
    Quote Originally Posted by gemini9
    ... Is a Windsor Cliff 4900 a REAL mountain bike?
    I've been riding MTBs for years, and have never seen a Windsor.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

  17. #17
    It's all about the FSR!
    Reputation: Heavy Fluid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    445
    Quote Originally Posted by gemini9
    ... Is a Windsor Cliff 4900 a REAL mountain bike?
    I feel like you are getting way ahead of yourself here. That Windsor is an entry level bike. Don't let it get to your head.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    634
    Do you have Asbergers?

  19. #19
    Still New
    Reputation: gemini9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    513
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavy Fluid
    I feel like you are getting way ahead of yourself here. That Windsor is an entry level bike. Don't let it get to your head.
    Well yeah but it's better than my Wally ride.

    What's asbergers? Sounds like something I'd get from mcdonalds.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Iridethedirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    576
    Quote Originally Posted by gemini9
    Yeah that's what I figured you'd say lol. But I thought I'd see what other opinions were. I had read some places online where people had upgraded their wally rides with new forks, pedals and cassettes.
    I did the upgraded wally world schwinn. for a number of reasons it was all i had to ride. I ended up getting a frame, swapping those parts over, and continually upgrading my ride as i have been able. If you've already got a better bike on the way, take the advice of everyone here... return it, junk it, spare bike, whatever, but not a place to put money into parts for. save your money and buy a used full suspension bike if you want to save money and get a decent full suspension bike. no matter how hard you try, you cannot make a wally world frame ride like a quality suspension frame.

  21. #21
    ~Disc~Golf~
    Reputation: highdelll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    16,492
    Are you serious? - 2 weeks+ of posts/threads - on whether to keep a walmart pos?
    (I have not even read the other posts, but damn! - no brainer dood! )
    Honestly... ahh I give up

  22. #22
    Braille Riding Instructor
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,145
    Gem, I think you have set an MTBR record for starting threads that all essentially address the same topic.

    Keeping your Wally bike is up to you. I thought you needed the cash, but if you don't, it might not be a bad idea to keep it around so you can run errands on it.

    Having that Wally bike around would also give you a better understanding of what we mean by crap department store rides versus true mountain bikes designed for the trails. Ride your Wally bike and then ride the Windsor and you'll see what I mean.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    634
    Asbergers is a condition on the autism spectrum characterized by getting obsessed with minutia and talking/asking questions about the subject of your obsession long past the point that most would consider socially acceptable.

  24. #24
    Still New
    Reputation: gemini9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    513
    One thing's for sure, I need to get another job soon and peel myself from this computer. Jobs in this area are extremely hard to come by and when you do find one, it's a crapper. Hopefully I find work soon. I'd have to say, the record breaking threads are a result of my boredom.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    15
    I understand that bikes sold at wallmart, target ect, are considered to be cheap toy bikes but are you guys saying that you have to spend $800 and up before your bike is considered a real mountain bike? I just bought a mongoose tyax sport for $475.(including tax) and have been riding through some trails , I even took it the bmx track to get some air and it did fine. I t is the best bike I ever owned. what decides whether your bike is real or not?

  26. #26
    Braille Riding Instructor
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,145
    I wouldn't say that, stikup. Some (read: bike snobs) here might, but I wouldn't.

    To me, a real mountain bike is a bike that was designed for trail use and assembled with materials that can withstand trail abuse. That's a very large umbrella. Even so, I wouldn't classify $100 department store bikes as mountain bikes, no matter what their outlets might claim, because they were not designed for anything beyond pavement and hard pack.

  27. #27
    ~Disc~Golf~
    Reputation: highdelll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    16,492
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    I've been riding MTBs for years, and have never seen a Windsor.
    Does not mean anything...

    How many people do I run across that have not heard of Sette? well, 1.21 Jigga-one of them.
    Honestly... ahh I give up

  28. #28
    ~Disc~Golf~
    Reputation: highdelll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    16,492
    Quote Originally Posted by stikup artist
    I understand that bikes sold at wallmart, target ect, are considered to be cheap toy bikes but are you guys saying that you have to spend $800 and up before your bike is considered a real mountain bike? I just bought a mongoose tyax sport for $475.(including tax) and have been riding through some trails , I even took it the bmx track to get some air and it did fine. I t is the best bike I ever owned. what decides whether your bike is real or not?
    Umm, that's not a walmart goose...
    It's possible to have a NEW bike for 3-400 bucks - but as also advised, a much nicer bike than the typical 'entry-level' can be found used...just gotta shop carefully
    Honestly... ahh I give up

  29. #29
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,198
    Ask WDR .

  30. #30
    ~Disc~Golf~
    Reputation: highdelll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    16,492
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS
    Ask WDR .
    Man. I wouldn't touch that b!tch
    Me neither!
    Ho go home and wash out yer beaver
    Honestly... ahh I give up

  31. #31
    Old Punk
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    530
    Quote Originally Posted by gemini9
    You've no chain guards for your front deraileurs!
    Chain guards, reflectors, kickstands, bells, streamers and baskets have no place on a true mtb. Keep it though, you can never have enough bikes!
    '09 Specialized Rockhopper expert 29
    Born 26" trials
    '07 Specialized Allez

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    838
    Quote Originally Posted by stikup artist
    I understand that bikes sold at wallmart, target ect, are considered to be cheap toy bikes but are you guys saying that you have to spend $800 and up before your bike is considered a real mountain bike? I just bought a mongoose tyax sport for $475.(including tax) and have been riding through some trails , I even took it the bmx track to get some air and it did fine. I t is the best bike I ever owned. what decides whether your bike is real or not?
    Mongoose has 2 lines. One line is made by them, the other line is made for box stores and is made by Pacific Bicycle.

    What you have is a bicycle made by Mongoose.
    2009 Access 9.5 29er
    2010 Diamondback Insight RS (700c hybrid)
    Velorazzo frame build (26)

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation: s0ckeyeus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,141
    Return it. To keep it would be a waste of money.

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Iridethedirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    576
    Quote Originally Posted by hardwarz
    Mongoose has 2 lines. One line is made by them, the other line is made for box stores and is made by Pacific Bicycle.

    What you have is a bicycle made by Mongoose.
    sort of.

    Dorel Industries owns Mongoose. They own a lot of bike companies:
    "Dorel markets its Recreational/Leisure products under the Cannondale, Schwinn, GT, Mongoose, IronHorse, SUGOI, Pacific, Dyno, RoadMaster, PowerLite and InSTEP brand names" - Directly from the dorel website.

    These companies design the bikes, and pay several other companies to manufacture them in countries like China, and Taiwan to certain specifications. higher end bikes have higher end specs. and tighter manufacturing tolerances. Lower end bikes have lower end specs. and are manufactured as such.

    Thats basically it. I ride an 08 Mongoose Khyber. Love how it rides. hate how heavy it is though. and Also do not like how i had to fabricate my own spacers to fix the sloppy tolerances mongoose aparently conciders acceptable.

    stikup artist:
    Your goose is fine, its an entry level hardtail, and will do its job well. if you like how it rides, then awesome! There is nothing wrong with that bike. Upgrade parts as you break them, and enjoy the bike!

  35. #35
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,267
    Quote Originally Posted by Iridethedirt
    sort of.

    Dorel Industries owns Mongoose. They own a lot of bike companies:
    "Dorel markets its Recreational/Leisure products under the Cannondale, Schwinn, GT, Mongoose, IronHorse, SUGOI, Pacific, Dyno, RoadMaster, PowerLite and InSTEP brand names" - Directly from the dorel website.

    These companies design the bikes, and pay several other companies to manufacture them in countries like China, and Taiwan to certain specifications. higher end bikes have higher end specs. and tighter manufacturing tolerances. Lower end bikes have lower end specs. and are manufactured as such.

    Thats basically it. I ride an 08 Mongoose Khyber. Love how it rides. hate how heavy it is though. and Also do not like how i had to fabricate my own spacers to fix the sloppy tolerances mongoose aparently conciders acceptable.

    stikup artist:
    Your goose is fine, its an entry level hardtail, and will do its job well. if you like how it rides, then awesome! There is nothing wrong with that bike. Upgrade parts as you break them, and enjoy the bike!


    The OP stated that it is a F/S from walmart. Return it , do not up grade, do not keep for your friends to ride. friends don't let friends ride walgeese.

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    86
    Return it. Use the money to buy a nice helmet, gloves, hydro pack, spare tubes, lube, tools, clipless pedals, shoes, different tires, pizza, dog food.
    There is nothing about the Wal-Bike worth keeping to be honest. Use that money for other things.

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    92
    Don't waste your money upgrading it. Return it, sell it, or just keep it as is.

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    419
    The general consensus is that it'd be a waste to upgrade, either listen to what people are saying or don't. But please stop asking us what to do about the situation.

  39. #39
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,198
    Trade it in for one of those sahweet 29ers.

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    206
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll
    Man. I wouldn't touch that b!tch
    Me neither!
    Ho go home and wash out yer beaver
    Thanks highdell, now I'll have that song stuck in my head all day

  41. #41
    ~Disc~Golf~
    Reputation: highdelll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    16,492
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry_K
    Thanks highdell, now I'll have that song stuck in my head all day
    haha, I've been on a N.W.A. kick lately - old school man
    Honestly... ahh I give up

  42. #42
    slap happy
    Reputation: istandalone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    417
    take the seat off and let your gf ride it.
    Consequences dictate our course of action and it doesn't matter what's right. It's only wrong if you get caught.

  43. #43
    Two Headed Boy
    Reputation: Trower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    218
    Quote Originally Posted by hardwarz
    Gemini

    Listen to mimi, don't upgrade the Walmart bike. If you want, keep it around and use it as a spare bike.

    Grind off some knobs and use her as a junk town bike.

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bataivah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    654
    Those FS Wally bikes have a steel swing-arm and are way too heavy to bother upgrading them. You will never get the performance you want and need out of it. An aluminium hardtail will run circles around it. Hec... a vintage full ridgid will too!

  45. #45
    Austin, Texas
    Reputation: smokehouse4444's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    166
    My first FS bike was a WallyWorld Mongoose. It sucked hard so I took it back and got the top of the line WW Mongoose BlackComb. I thought I was spending some dough! I eventually bought a Jamis and have upgraded components on it several times. I still have that BlackComb though, and I ride the crap out of it. Since I am 6'4", 230, I had to put a riser bar on it. I call it "The Tank" and use it to work out with. I think it weighs like 45lbs, and I beat the living stink out of it. When I get back out on the Jamis, it feels like buttah... When the wife wants to ride a little with me, I pull the seat and post, and just stick in the big gel seat and she loves it.

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bataivah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    654
    My buddy has a Blackcomb...I feel for you man! The cheap Mongoose I had was ridden one time in the woods and sold a few days later.

  47. #47
    Still New
    Reputation: gemini9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    513
    haha. I actually had somebody offer to buy the Wallyworld bike from me. It's a Genesis brand. A little better than the mongoose IMO. He's got a Next bicycle now and was looking for something a tad better and said my Genesis was perfect that he's gimme my moneys worth for it. Front disc, trigger shifters, four bar linkeage suspension. A little better than his crappy Next. He doesn't plan on riding it DH or anything extreme and will mostly be on paved roads so I figure what the heck. I'll let him buy it from me.
    Last edited by gemini9; 04-24-2011 at 09:53 PM.

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    206
    Good, if you do any DH on a walmart special you will die haha

  49. #49
    Still New
    Reputation: gemini9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    513
    Quote Originally Posted by boomersooner523
    Good, if you do any DH on a walmart special you will die haha
    I myself don't plan on any DH yet. Right now I'm gonna stick with XC until I get the guts for DH... unless I'm allowed to brake the whole way down haha

  50. #50
    ummmm.. what!?
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    154
    I think you should have kept it. Sprayed it. Loaded it up with legit brand decals and posted it on craigslist. Then we could all wait for some poor soul to post it up on here asking if its a good deal..
    Its a JEEP thing. I have 4 and still don't understand..

  51. #51
    Austin, Texas
    Reputation: smokehouse4444's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    166
    Here's my old Walmart Mongoose Blackcomb. I've put this bike through ten times what my other bikes have been through, and it just chugs along. Weighs a ton. I wouldn't recommend as a serious bike though. I just ride it to have fun and get an extra heaping spoonful of workout.





  52. #52
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by smokehouse4444 View Post
    Here's my old Walmart Mongoose Blackcomb. I've put this bike through ten times what my other bikes have been through, and it just chugs along. Weighs a ton. I wouldn't recommend as a serious bike though. I just ride it to have fun and get an extra heaping spoonful of workout.
    how's the suspension??

  53. #53
    Austin, Texas
    Reputation: smokehouse4444's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    166
    Pretty bad really. The front fork is not worth much. I'm going to put the old fork that was on my Jamis on it...a Manitou Splice. The rear shock spring is not nearly stiff enough for someone my size. I may buy a stiffer one that can handle more weight and put it on. The ride is kind of like being in a big ol' monster Buick going over a bumpy, twisty road. Going through corners it flexes around quite a bit. At first it is a little unnerving, but after awhile it's no problem. I have some heavy Kenda 2.35 Nevegal StickE's on there and it just rolls and lists like a boat through the curves.
    Last edited by smokehouse4444; 07-11-2011 at 07:41 PM.

  54. #54
    Addicted to the Ride
    Reputation: Fitness_Freak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    17
    No lol definaely nit worth the money or time in walmart bike

  55. #55
    icalebkim
    Guest
    Gemini, I hope you listen to my advice. It's coming from a newb, but please listen.
    You probably don't know what a full suspension bike's limitations are, especially when they are cheap.
    A full suspension bike does not depend soley on the shock. How good the shock is certainly matters,
    but a good suspension design really makes the difference.

    Bikes from reasonable manufacturers design suspension so that it eliminates pedal bob (energy
    wasted by the suspension) and a load of other factors.
    Bikes from cheap manufaturers design suspension so that it looks cool to the untrained eye. Yes,
    they do. Isn't that why you bought the bike?

    Feel free to upgrade the bike. There have been some people who have. Some have succeeded.
    But I warn you, there is a very high percentage that you will fail. The bike that you bought has
    suspension (probably) in a place that does not give a good feel, even if you upgrade the shock
    to something worth over a thousand dollars. Higher end bikes might look the same, but there are
    really subtle factors that make the suspension a whole lot better, like pivot placement...etc...

    Do you know how much a good suspension bike feels? Even though it costs a grand, it has way
    more (coolness word here regarding suspension). When you sit down, it sags under you. When you go down a bump, it soaks up the landing for you. It won't even bounce up and down from the bump because how the suspension is designed. A firm feeling of suspesion clearly indicates that you haven't
    ridden a really nice bike before. I encourage you to.

    Frame materials play a big role. The sticker on the bike saying "this bike is not designed for offroad use or stunting" is valid. Why do you think they would put a sticker saying that on the bike? For no reason?
    THey call it a MOUNTAIN BIKE. Then put that sticker on. That clearly indicates that the frame/components
    cannot withstand the stress that offroad riding puts on to it (let a lone DownHIll.) Good bike manufacturers spend a lot of time designing frames for strength and weight. Cheap manufacturers don't.

    Your Windsor is really good for the price. Feel good about it. It is slightly above entry level.
    Fork: The dart series are cheap, fairly reliable, and come from a good manufacturer.
    Frame: Looks decent.
    Derraileur: Very good for the price.
    Wheels: I don't think you will need to worry about breaking them.
    Brakes: Entry level decency.

    This bike is far more valuable than its price tag, let alone Walmart bikes. Feel happy. I congratulate you
    on the purchase of your first legitimate mountain bike. (Let the force (of mountain bikes) be with you.)

  56. #56
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Colo Springs E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    581
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll View Post
    haha, I've been on a N.W.A. kick lately - old school man
    "Roofless, my style as a juvenile, ran with a gang, slanged in the meanwhile..."

    N.W.A. rools!

  57. #57
    ~Disc~Golf~
    Reputation: highdelll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    16,492
    Quote Originally Posted by Colo Springs E View Post
    "Roofless, my style as a juvenile, ran with a gang, slanged in the meanwhile..."

    N.W.A. rools!
    Who woulda known that Eric actually grew up in tornado alley?
    Honestly... ahh I give up

  58. #58
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    581
    Quote Originally Posted by icalebkim View Post
    Gemini, I hope you listen to my advice. It's coming from a newb, but please listen.
    You probably don't know what a full suspension bike's limitations are, especially when they are cheap.
    A full suspension bike does not depend soley on the shock. How good the shock is certainly matters,
    but a good suspension design really makes the difference.

    Bikes from reasonable manufacturers design suspension so that it eliminates pedal bob (energy
    wasted by the suspension) and a load of other factors.
    Bikes from cheap manufaturers design suspension so that it looks cool to the untrained eye. Yes,
    they do. Isn't that why you bought the bike?

    Feel free to upgrade the bike. There have been some people who have. Some have succeeded.
    But I warn you, there is a very high percentage that you will fail. The bike that you bought has
    suspension (probably) in a place that does not give a good feel, even if you upgrade the shock
    to something worth over a thousand dollars. Higher end bikes might look the same, but there are
    really subtle factors that make the suspension a whole lot better, like pivot placement...etc...

    Do you know how much a good suspension bike feels? Even though it costs a grand, it has way
    more (coolness word here regarding suspension). When you sit down, it sags under you. When you go down a bump, it soaks up the landing for you. It won't even bounce up and down from the bump because how the suspension is designed. A firm feeling of suspesion clearly indicates that you haven't
    ridden a really nice bike before. I encourage you to.

    Frame materials play a big role. The sticker on the bike saying "this bike is not designed for offroad use or stunting" is valid. Why do you think they would put a sticker saying that on the bike? For no reason?
    THey call it a MOUNTAIN BIKE. Then put that sticker on. That clearly indicates that the frame/components
    cannot withstand the stress that offroad riding puts on to it (let a lone DownHIll.) Good bike manufacturers spend a lot of time designing frames for strength and weight. Cheap manufacturers don't.

    Your Windsor is really good for the price. Feel good about it. It is slightly above entry level.
    Fork: The dart series are cheap, fairly reliable, and come from a good manufacturer.
    Frame: Looks decent.
    Derraileur: Very good for the price.
    Wheels: I don't think you will need to worry about breaking them.
    Brakes: Entry level decency.

    This bike is far more valuable than its price tag, let alone Walmart bikes. Feel happy. I congratulate you
    on the purchase of your first legitimate mountain bike. (Let the force (of mountain bikes) be with you.)
    Your a tad late to the party with this advice, since he posted back in April that he had sold the Wallyride to a friend! Sometimes you gotta look at the dates on these threads and realize how old they are before posting! This thread was dead for almost 3 months then got revived three days ago, but not by Gemini.
    Quote Originally Posted by STT GUY View Post
    Screw the search function... you're new, ask the question(s). If anyone gets thier undies in a bunch it's thier problem.

  59. #59
    Still New
    Reputation: gemini9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    513
    lol this thread is like a dandelion. You think it's gone, but out of nowhere it pops back up again. Yeah, I've been riding my Cliff since April and it's been nice (cept for my squeeky brakes that I can't seem to get to stop squealing). I ran into a big ol log with it once and didn't break anything so I'm enjoying it. I don't have the Genesis bike anymore.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.