Fat Chancellor
    Jun 2004

Shock pump leaking air as it unscrews

How do I put the proper amount of PSi pressure in my suspension fork if the air keeps squeeking out as I unscrew the pump? There must be some trick that I don't know of. I can't imagine that the answer is simply "unscrew fast", that would be too inexact.

Thanks,
    Joe

mtbr member
    From what I understand, the air you hear leaking is coming from the pump, not the shock.

all hail der Fuhrer Bush
    Mar 2004

there's a special chuck

the one I have is from Arlo Englund who makes those air cartridges that retrofit in a variety of forks. there are others out there too, ask your lbs.
    the concept is that the special chuck disengages from the schrader valve instantly so the schrader plunger is released as soon as you start removing the chuck, so the only air you hear escaping is the little bit that was pressurized in the shock pump tube.
    the chuck should screw right on the end of your shock pump assuming yours has a schrader end.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePerry
    How do I put the proper amount of PSi pressure in my suspension fork if the air keeps squeeking out as I unscrew the pump? There must be some trick that I don't know of. I can't imagine that the answer is simply "unscrew fast", that would be too inexact.

Thanks,
    Joe
    I have that problem with my Black Super and a cheap Performance pump. What I do is first, attach the shock pump and pump up to the pressure you want. At that point, and with the shock still attached, pump the fork to get a feel for the pressure. Next start to slowly unscrew the pump so that you just here the air escaping. Quickly give another turn to tighten it back and pump in a little more - say 10-20 pounds of air. Than quickly unscrew the pump while pulling up on the hose.

Complicated but this works for me.

There's no app for this.

ChiTown's right

the air is escaping the pump, not the shock. Pump it to the pressure desired and unscrew it. The *pssssttttt* isn't the shock, it's normal. No worries.

Jim

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JimC.
    the air is escaping the pump, not the shock. Pump it to the pressure desired and unscrew it. The *pssssttttt* isn't the shock, it's normal. No worries.

Jim
    It could still be the shock. Unless you feel the fork at the set pressure and feel after you remove the shock, you don't know.

There's no app for this.

only

if the shock valve is defective. Jim

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePerry

Thanks,
    Joe
    Jim C and ChiTown have it right. The air you hear is most likely from the pump, not the shock.

If air is not excapiing from the shock as you attach the pump......then it's also not escaping (from the shock) when you remove the pump.

The actual pressure in the shock is equal to the pressure reading on the pump. Ignore the hiss of air as you remove the pump from the shock.

There's no app for this.

what Progressive says

you're right Blus shorts...this comes up all the time with newer shock owners and fear of not enough air. One can actually damage the shock with too much pressure also...here's what 5th Element maker says....

(Q): Why does my shock seem to have lost air every time I pump it up?
    (A): In reality, your shock has not lost air. The chamber of the shock pump, including the hose, dial gauge, pump body, requires pressurized air in it to register a pressure. This air of course comes from your shock when you install a pump. Further, the amount of air actually required in a 5th Element shock (particularly the IFP chamber) is so small that most of the air in the shock empties into the pump. A 50psi IFP pressure may read 0psi-10psi when the pump is installed! The only way is to pump the shock back up to the desired pressure, remove the pump and leave it alone until the next time you check or change your pressures.

To really tell if the shock is leaking air, you can dunk the shock underwater, just like testing for a puncture in a tube.

Jim

Fat Chancellor
    Jun 2004

Good job! Ok

Thanks Guys, it is a rather intimidating noise to hear and I will take your word that is is from the pump (both pump and shocks are Marz). But, if you guys are hazing me and my shock blows out one side I am going to give you all stanchion enemas. ;o)

Best,
    Joe