Shock and fork replacement- Mtbr.com
    The Krazy Never Die

Shock and fork replacement

Hey so I have a 2004 specialized fsr xc i just started riding again for the first time in a year. My riding level has gotten to the point were I've been cruising pretty quick down some pretty rocky trails and I'm to the point were I'll looking to upgrade my forks again from my rock shox dart 1 to something say 140 mm travel and adjustibility on compression and rebound and my rear shock is still the original and is less the desirable anymore if my memory serves me correct it's 6.5x1.5. I'm lookin for something with more adjustabilty I don't do many large drops max out at maybe 18 inches but the terrian in my area is very rocky... I raced bmx when I was a teen so I can usually land relitivly smooth so I'm not super hard on the bike I'd just like the adjustibility in my shocks so I can try and keep the vibrations down so I don't fatigue my arms and legs as bad and also to help me keep in as much control as possible down our rock covered trails thanks everyone

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    i dont think a 140mm fork is a good idea given that stock is 100mm.. it would mess with the geometry and put added stress on the head tube.

The Krazy Never Die
    So have I pretty much reached the limits of my bike and level of riding ??? Do I take the money for upgraded parts and put that towards a new bike? I like the frame I've got is there other options or have I Maxed out the abilities of this bike

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    just get a nice fork with the same or close to the same travel. maybe something like this? http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...2+Fork+10.aspx

or http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...l+Fork+09.aspx

mtbr member
    I'm sure Fox has a fork or two that would work:

http://www.foxracingshox.com/bike/10/forks/32_F-SERIES
    Hey everybody, ride my wheels! They ride good, real good.
    I'm a wheel builder. SRLPE Wheel Works. Send me a PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    sounds like its new bike time.. with a bike that old, a new bike with much more travel very may well pedal better!

Probably drunk right now

My advice...

You have a fairly nice 4" travel bike, you're hitting 18" drops and you have a BMX background. It doesn't seem to me that you've reached beyond the capability of the bike so much as you have the wrong bike for you.

I'd look at some sort of All Mountain hard tail with 125-130mm fork. You'll get in to a new bike that's more suited for the type of riding you're doing more affordably. You'll also fall right back in to your BMX habits because the riding will be similar.

You didn't mention what tire size you're running but if you're running 2.1 or below, you'll gain around an inch of cush by moving up to 2.4's or so. Larger volume tires are generally more suited for the type of riding you're looking to do.

Have fun and welcome back.

The Krazy Never Die
    im not really bottoming out at all that much but as my skills are improving im trying new steeper trails.. i guess im not really needing anymore travel just more adjustibility on compression and rebound i might try upsizing my tires as well. my hardtail and i had sorta had a minor run in with a tree and a few rocks so i pulled all the salvagable parts off it and kept them and cut the bent peices of bike up and got my old specialized outta the basement ... for some reason im alot more comfortable on the specailized and alot more confident in my riding ..

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by KrazyKessler
    Hey so I have a 2004 specialized fsr xc i just started riding again for the first time in a year. My riding level has gotten to the point were I've been cruising pretty quick down some pretty rocky trails and I'm to the point were I'll looking to upgrade my forks again from my rock shox dart 1 to something say 140 mm travel and adjustibility on compression and rebound and my rear shock is still the original and is less the desirable anymore if my memory serves me correct it's 6.5x1.5. I'm lookin for something with more adjustabilty I don't do many large drops max out at maybe 18 inches but the terrian in my area is very rocky... I raced bmx when I was a teen so I can usually land relitivly smooth so I'm not super hard on the bike I'd just like the adjustibility in my shocks so I can try and keep the vibrations down so I don't fatigue my arms and legs as bad and also to help me keep in as much control as possible down our rock covered trails thanks everyone
    I would not go over 120mm on the fork if it came stock with a 100mm. However, travel aside, I think that you will find that getting a better quality fork will be an improvement. Fox and Rock Shox Both have good high end options ~120mm, but be prepared to drop some $. Any idea what your budget is?

What kind of rear shock is on there now?

The Krazy Never Die
    I'd like to replace both fork and shock for 550-600

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    I'd like to replace both fork and shock for 550-600
    What kind of shock is on there now?

Also, are you open to a coil fork?

The Krazy Never Die
    I have a rockshox dart 1 I'm open to anything with more tunibility then my dart 1 it also must have disc brake mounts

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    I have a rockshox dart 1 I'm open to anything with more tunibility then my dart 1 it also must have disc brake mounts
    What REAR shock do you have? The front suspension is called the fork, the rear is called the shock. I don't know why, that's just the way it is.

The Krazy Never Die
    It's the stock x fusion I believe... it's got an adjustable rebound. But it's pretty warn it's really bouncy and is more of a hassle on the trails then it's worth.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    look at the cloud9 or an rp23 for the rear, recon w/ motion control for the fork. Should be able to stay within budget for these. Cane Creek will also give you like $100 off the new shock if you send them your old one.

The Krazy Never Die
    thanks guys ive been out of biking so long i dont know whats good whats not ..

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    It's the stock x fusion I believe... it's got an adjustable rebound. But it's pretty warn it's really bouncy and is more of a hassle on the trails then it's worth.
    With a $550-600 budget for both front and rear, I think you need to prioritized. Yes, an RP23 is very nice, but if you drop $350 on a rear shock this only leaves you with $200-250 for a fork. If adjustability is what you want, you are looking at a Fox or one of the RS forks with the better versions of the motion control (Reba, Pike, Revelation), and these are all beyond that in price. In my opinion, I would spend more on the fork and less on the shock.

Keep in mind that some of the more affordable RS forks with motion control dampening (Tora, Recon..) have a different version of motion control than the Pike, Reba, Revelation and do not have the same level of adjustability (the floodgate level is not adjustable).

Regarding the rear shock, was it OK when it was new? Is it a matter of it getting worn out or was it junk to start with? The reason I ask is that you could get it re-built and save a lot of money towards a killer fork.

It looks to me like you can find a Reba for ~$400 without looking to hard, that gives you $200 to do something about your shock. Perhaps if you find a good enough deal, you can afford something like a Cane Creek Cloud 9.

I think you are on the right track looking for a fork with higher quality travel and better adjustability than simply more travel. A high quality 100-120mm fork like a Fox or Reba will blow the doors off of what you have now, even when it was new.

One other thing: If you are only hitting 18" drops AND you have a BMX backround (which indicates you land smoothly) I don't think there is any reason to get a bigger bike if you enjoying this one.
    Last edited by kapusta; 11-13-2009 at 10:59 AM.

The Krazy Never Die
    the shock wasnt horrible i mean id prolly rather invest in a NICE QUILITY set of forks that are what i WANT and maybe later on save and get a good shock to put on the rear. i do usually land smooth the rear of the bike is always bouncing off rocks and i spend a lot of the trails rolling on my front tire which can sometimes get a little hairy!!!

mtbr member
    From the Specialized site, the 2004 FSR XC uses a 6.0 x 1.25 rear shock. This is a fairly odd size these days, and would be hard to find in stock or on sale. You'd likely have to special order it and pay full price.

I'm thinking it's new bike time. Sell your current bike and take your upgrade budget and get something new.

Members who have read this thread: 0