Shin Pads?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Shin Pads?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Shin Pads?

Hi everyone,

I am relatively new to mountain biking and it is safe to say that I love it and am now addicted! I have been riding local trails regularly all spring and I am getting better, but I still take a fall here and there. I haven't really gotten hurt, but my shins are really taking a beating. I would definitely like to purchase some shin guards but I am not sure what I should be looking for, Most that I have seen are knee/shin combos, which seem like a bit of overkill to me as I have never hurt my knees. Are there any shin guards that are known to be better than others? I am assuming that the more you spend, the lighter, more sturdy they are but I really don't know.

Any help or recommendations would be great. Thanks!

mtbr member
    if you are riding mild singletrack with shin shieldz on, you look like a poser....if you are dropping 1-2 foot rocks, hopping logs, etc, on a consistent basis i think the shin shieldz are warranted...i get my legs sliced up by brush and rocks and shiz all the time...its part of the game....according to my opinion which does not matter to anyone, if you aren't wearing a full-face helmet, you don't need shin guards.

Let the rebuking begin!

mtbr member
    I got lizardskins for the tougher trails. They are good ones. I'm not really into slamming my shins all the time. When I do urban rides, I don't wear anything, but its a different story on trails.

I wouldn't worry about if some kid on the trial considers you a poser.

~Disc~Golf~
    clipless pedals
    Honestly... ahh I give up

pants on head retarded
    Clipless would solve a lot of shin-strikes from your pedals, but it is a new learning curve.

If your'e getting cuts and bruises you don't want, wear something protective. It's cheap and that wee bitty piece of plastic can take a hell of a lot more beating than your skin. When you're out riding, nobody cares what you're wearing (not even SwampDonkeyDisco - he's just working on his troll degree from the University of Highdell at the moment).

As for the guards themselves... I don't wear them so I don't have any specific advice - but I suspect the cost differences will be 90% the name on the box and 10% the straps to keep them in place.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yurtinus
    When you're out riding, nobody cares what you're wearing (not even SwampDonkeyDisco - he's just working on his troll degree from the University of Highdell at the moment).

Hey I paid good money for that degree...show some respect! In all seriousness, I think its wise to protect the body when you can.

~Disc~Golf~
    BTW^^^ I have not received the last tuition check, so your degree is currently suspended.
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Rats!

Picture Unrelated
    I have Lizard Skins shin pads which I wear when things get nasty, but to be honest, I'd rather have knee/shins or just knees. This year I'll probably drop the shins and go just knee. As you progress, you'll find you needing various different protection points, Knee/shin combos really don't impede your movement much and you'll appreciate the protection later down the line.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

kevboz
    Jul 2007
    I wear the shin guards that cover the knee also. Who cares what others say. I mainly do cross country riding. I don't go over huge drops.. maybe 2-3 feet max. They have totally saved me a few times.I was actually riding on the road heading back to the car and made a turn going out 20 MPH and hit a patch of slime on the road when making a turn. bike totally came out from under me. I slid maybe 10-15 feet on the shin/knee. If I didn't have the pads on I would have had some huge road rash. I got up checked out the metted plasic.. said OH **** then roade back to the car. They are great also in the trails if you are riding through stickers. Don't have to worry at all. Well worth it. I'm 38. I found out long ago that chicks actually don't dig scars. hah

mtbr member
    I dig scars....mother nature's body art! The best tattoo you can get!

MTB_Okie
    You could probably just go to your local sporting goods store, and find some cheap soccer shin guards. They'll do the same thing, but are probably cheaper. Just a thought...
    I like long rides. Especially when they're taken by people who annoy me...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SwampDonkeyDisco
    if you are riding mild singletrack with shin shieldz on, you look like a poser....if you are dropping 1-2 foot rocks, hopping logs, etc, on a consistent basis i think the shin shieldz are warranted...i get my legs sliced up by brush and rocks and shiz all the time...its part of the game....according to my opinion which does not matter to anyone, if you aren't wearing a full-face helmet, you don't need shin guards.

Let the rebuking begin!
    A poser is someone who CARES what others think and tries to blend in. So basically you described yourself as a poser since you care. You even suck at being a troll...Highdelll is going to fail you out of his school.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dictatorsaurus
    A poser is someone who CARES what others think and tries to blend in. So basically you described yourself as a poser since you care. You even suck at being a troll...Highdelll is going to fail you out of his school.
    What? This dosen't make a ton of sense, but then again, as a "troll," I shouldn't care.

mtbr member
    For now, Im wearing my old soccer shin guards. They are cheaper,..BUT theres alot of unprotective areas above and below the guard. Im saving my dinerro for some descent shin and forarm protection. The trail I ride is a six mile loop I believe with at least a half a dozen areas that you can really push it. I've lost several times in there which leads me to getting the proper gear for the type of riding I'm doing. Plus,..Im pushing the big 40,.daddy's gotta protect himself or mom will really crack the whip on me if Im out of work with a severe injury.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I just got my bike and waiting for the weekend so i can test it out. But having 2 grand worth of ink on my leg kinda requires me to get some shin guards as well. Considering the fact that these will be used for urban/light trail riding i dont want anything heavy. You think neopren sleeves would be good enough? Mostly worried about hammering the pedal into my shin or a stupid crash.

mtbr member
    neopren sleeves ? No way man. Soccer shin guards at the very least at Walmart,..<$12 adult.

Fixing a shredded tat on your unprotected shin?,...=$$$$$$,..oh and pain too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dadstoy
    neopren sleeves ? No way man. Soccer shin guards at the very least at Walmart,..<$12 adult.

Fixing a shredded tat on your unprotected shin?,...=$$$$$$,..oh and pain too.
    Already got soccer shin guards but i need something that protects more, my tat is all the way around from the ankle to below the knee

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I use the 661 Race knee/shin and elbow/forearm guards. I ride some easy single track but if I happen to make an unexpected dismount from my bike, it is nice to have some protection between me and the rocks, roots, and prickily plants. I am also waiting for the LBS to open so I can go get my FF helmet; I am not the prettiest guy, but I like the current configuration of my face.

Just a bit about trying to look cool on the trails. I went out clipless for the first time a few weeks ago, and there were a ton of other cyclist getting ready in parking lot. None of them were wearing any protection beyond gloves and helmets, so not wanting to look stupid, I left the elbow/forearm pads in the car. I was cruising around for a bit, and came up to a drop that I had no intention of droping off of so I grab both brakes, come to a stop and realize oh **** I'm still clipped in. Gravity does its thing quite well and I find my self with some cuts and scratches on my elbow and forearm. I decided right then that I do not mind looking like a dork, falling hurts, so I go back to the car and get the pads. I will never ride off road with out pads again.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Thanks so much for all of the advice. I definitely don't care what I look like or what anyone thinks, so I'm going to head over to my LBS this weekend and see what they have. I am also not opposed to getting some inexpensive soccer shin guards because I think they will do the trick too. It's not like I'm wiping out all of the time, but I think I am still learning how to fall. It's not just the pedals, I have also slammed my shin on the frame of the bike a couple of times when I hit a sandy or loose spot going around a curve and the front tire slips out. Also, one of the trails I ride (East Setauket NY) is pretty challenging for a beginner (I think) and I think I'd have a bit more confidence with some padding, which will allow me to improve faster, I hope! Thanks again.

mtbr member
    I went to my LBS too, and they carried only one brand name and only in a package deal. But Ive been coming across A-L-O-T of stuff when I flip through a MTB magazine or thru the net. I need a better helmet too. Wonder if I can find my ol' high school FB helmet.

mtbr member
    Rock gardens and technical riding: RaceFace FR Leg and arm armor. Comfortable and affordable.

Light XC and epic rides: 661 Kyle Strait Knee Pads and 661 Chicken wings elbow gardens.

mtbr member
    I like the 661 Veggie Shin Guards. Nice, comfortable, not too bulky, but hot during the summer.

My buddy uses the Troy Lee Designs Knee Guards. They do the job and can be had for about $18 from Chain Reaction

thin blue line
    +1 to the 09 model Race Face FR Leg armor. I didn't wear knee/shin pads either until I caught a couple of Huisache tree thorns (think 1" long and super sharp) below the knees. The Race Face knee/shin combination is comfortable enough if you wear some sort of underlayer around the knee area and I have yet to suffer from having them slide down my legs. If you do not wear the under layer, be prepared to have the upper outer corner of the padding rubbing a painful groove in your flesh. Sounds like reason enough not to purchase them, but believe me, the good outweigh the bad with these pads. Oh, and about two weeks ago I saw a humongous Cotton mouth snake (think super deadly) lying half on half off of the local trail. I'm hoping that if I ever do come into contact with that snake again and it tries to bite me, it will nail the shin pad instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Dictatorsaurus
    Rock gardens and technical riding: RaceFace FR Leg and arm armor. Comfortable and affordable.

Light XC and epic rides: 661 Kyle Strait Knee Pads and 661 Chicken wings elbow gardens.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. G.Orwell

i also unicycle
    Jan 2007
    i use the 661 4x4 leg armor for unicycling and some jump/park bike riding. i like them because they wrap around more, do shin and knee, and are fairly well vented. the back of your legs are covered by the fabric but not the heavier padding, which is comfortable and gives a bit of protection from pedal bites.
    mtbr says you should know: i work in a bike shop.
    bikes & beers (on my blog) http://idontrideenough.blogspot.com/

Underskilled
    Not quite enough info to give the best advice, so just have to asume you are making normal beginners mistakes.

Am I right in assuming you pedals are hitting your shins cutting them up?

To fix the symptoms of the problems 661 vegiwraps would work.

I would 100% reccomend getting knee pads, most common injury for knees is catching them on your bars as you sail over. You only need to damage your kneecap once to make walking the rest of your life hard. Experts wear kneepads, they know more about this than you. It's like not wearing a helmet because you have never hit your head.

The source of the shin strikes is probably slipping off your pedals?

I would therefore assume you are riding cheap flats that came with your bike and normal trainers/vans?

You have two choices, be happy, a few years back there was only SPD, thankfully technology has moved on.

Get a pair of 5.10 shoes, Freeride or Ba5ic (basic). These will grip on anything, they have top quality rock climbing rubber on the base. There are lots of shoes that look like 5.10, some much better designed, but the shoe is unimportant, the rubber on the bottom is.
    Only 5.10 has the stuff (OK some scarpa approach shoes, but if you are not a rock climber just buy 5.10).

Secondly to stop your feet rolling of the pedals you need your pedals THIN.
    Thinner pedals = closer to centre of rotation

The thinnest readily available pedals are ones from superstar.co.uk or the Kona Wah Wah.

With those shoes and those pedals you will have unending grip.

I can pull a 40lb AM a foot straight into the air, while stationary, just by pulling up.

I have to reiterate it MUST be 5.10 it MUST be kona wah wah (or clone, key thing is thickness most pedals, even expensive ones are fat and will not help).

gettig your LBS to talk you into something similar will just waste your time and money, but happens so often.

Of course there are SPDs, but it depends how much you like head injuries ;-)

mtbr member
    i say get them. you want the protection, its that simple. and you dont need to ride pro tracks to wear, just do it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Makes no sense. If you don't wear a helmet everyone yells at you, yet you rarely hit your head. Try to protect the parts of your body that actually get cut up and people call you a dork. It's no fun being off the bike for weeks with an injury, wear the pads, they are cheaper then the doctor bills.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Spork
    I like the 661 Veggie Shin Guards. Nice, comfortable, not too bulky, but hot during the summer.

My buddy uses the Troy Lee Designs Knee Guards. They do the job and can be had for about $18 from Chain Reaction
    I also used the 661 Veggies before I went clipless. They did a great job and were comfortable. They can be found for cheap if you look in the right place. I haven't tried any other shin guards, but the hard plastic type never interested me.
    '15 Soma Wolverine '12 Soma Analog SS '10 Transition TransAM '07 Felt F1X '97 Schwinn Mesa SS '89 Fuji Saratoga '86 Fuji Club

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CaveGiant
    Of course there are SPDs, but it depends how much you like head injuries ;-)
    Care to elaborate? What's the connection?

Members who have read this thread: 0