Shimano Freewheel Noise- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Shimano Freewheel Noise

I have a '12 Kona with a Shimano Hyperglide freewheel. I've only had the bike for about a month, but I ride it daily. Today I noticed a clunking sound coming from my freewheel when coasting. If you take the wheel off, hold it up, and spin the cassette the is a "clunk-clunk" sound consistently every rotation. You can also feel the clunking coming from the freewheel vibrating thru the wheel along with the noise. Does anyone know whats going on here? Did I break something or could this just be a maintenance/lubrication thing? Thx in advance for any input.

mtbr member
    Is your bike still under warranty? The only reason I ask is because it almost sounds like bearing issue in the free hub.
    Freehub clicking is ok but not clunking. Maybe the pawls in the free hub is off?
    I would highly recommend taking it back to where you bought it(if you bought from a LBS) and having them look at it.
    Otherwise it would be difficult to diagnose online.

mtbr member
    Are your hubs cap and cone. If they are cap and cone, thenI had a fuji with cap and cone from what your describing, the hub bearings need to be regreased. Not 100 percent sure, but it sure sounds like what happened to me. I could tell when the bearings need to be regreased becuase it started makeing that noise. I have gotten away from cap and cone and went to sealed bearing becuase I don't want to service my hubs all the time. It was a commuter bike, so I rode it alot. I found myself tearing down the hub and regreasing the bearings about every three months. Plus it's a pain in the ass to tighten the cones so its got the right amount of torque so there's no play in the hub but the bearins still roll smooth. It started doing what your describing fairly soon after purchase and the mechanic said that Fuji's are notorious for being shipped with cheap grease.
    When the **** did we get ice cream?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    need to post 5 to ask a question. Thanks

Members who have read this thread: 1