Shimano CN-HG70 Pre-lubed?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2011

Shimano CN-HG70 Pre-lubed?

Hey, I'm just wondering if the chain mentioned in the title comes pre-lubed or if it just has oil to prevent oxidation.

Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Also, I just realized this is a 7.4mm chain and the one that came on my bike is a 7.1mm. Will this be compatible or will I have to return the chain and get another?

This is off of a Cannondale Trail SL4 29er. It looks like the current model has a 7.4mm chain and the cogs are the same. Any reason I should be concerned though?

no trees are safe
    The chain should be working fine.

The chain comes lubed from the manufacturer. The lube lasts quite a while so I wouldn't recommend re-oiling after a couple of rides if it isn't necessary.

T.W.O
    Yeah it comes with a thick lube that lasts a while on it. As long as your speed of the chain correlates it'll work out fine. You may have to "cut" the chain by taking out links. It'll come out of the box with more than you need giving you a sloppy chain.
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

Flow like water
    It's an 8-speed compatible chain. You have an 8-speed bike. All good.
    The lube which comes on it is good stuff. See the Shelton Brown page on chain lube if you want.

Good comment on checking the length of your new chain. Adjust as needed.

mtbr member
    my theory on lubing and cleaning chains: clean with lube, lube with lube. you never should need to "degrease" a chain. you never need to remove all of the grease. if the chain is that bad, you did a lousy job taking care of it, and it's likely worn out and "stretched" by now. so when the chain starts to get gunked up, drip a fair amount of chain lube (not WD-40!) on it, let is soak in for a minute, then thoroughly wipe off all the excess lube and the dirt that comes off with it with a rag.

the lube that comes on a brand new chain is probably the best lube it will ever have. enjoy it while it lasts.

use a chain that is made for your drivetrain. if you have 9 cogs on your rear wheel, you need a 9-speed chain, for example.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean831 View Post
    Also, I just realized this is a 7.4mm chain and the one that came on my bike is a 7.1mm. Will this be compatible or will I have to return the chain and get another?

This is off of a Cannondale Trail SL4 29er. It looks like the current model has a 7.4mm chain and the cogs are the same. Any reason I should be concerned though?
    The Shimano 8 speed chain is just slightly wider than a SRAM 8 speed chain. The biggest downside to this is that you can't use a SRAM 8 speed powerlink on an 8 speed Shimano chain. As far as a chain goes, they will both work fine.

The 2011 Cannondale Trail SL 4 supposedly comes with a KMC Z72 chain which is 7.1mm. Interestingly, KMC makes chains for Shimano, but apparently they make their 8 speed chain a tick wider than the others.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    It comes prelubed. But you can wipe it off the outer plates before the first ride with a cotton cloth. That way less dirt will stick to it.

Members who have read this thread: 0