Shim? 27.0mm seat post to a 27.2mm seat tube- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007

New question here. Shim? 27.0mm seat post to a 27.2mm seat tube

Hello. I have a 27.0 mm seat post that I am trying to get to fit in a 27.2mm seat tube (taking the seat tube from my older frame and trying to reuse it on the new one to save some money).

I haven't been able to find a shim for this purpose...but then again I don't know alot about shims or where to get them.....if someone could point me out to the right shim for this application it would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

weirdo
    Are you sure about those sizes? They might be two different standards, but the difference is less than .008 inches. That`s about the same difference as wrapping a strip of copy machine paper around a tube. I can`t imagine the tube won`t clamp that much more.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    i dont believe anyone makes a 0.2mm shim. i would just grab a coke can and cut yourself a shim out of it.

Professional Sociopath
    A soft drinks can is perfect, I had to use one on my GF's GT when I put a27.2mm suspension post in. Her frame has an internal diam of 27.4mm so I shimmed it out with a piece of can. I measured it with a micrometer first and found it was exactly the right thickness (0.1mm so it increases the diam by 0.2mm)
    Last edited by sic_nick; 08-16-2007 at 11:34 AM.
    Do people think you are strange??

Do you??

....Then you may be on the right track.
    (Rev. J.R. Bob Dodds)

Mar 2007
    soda can. smash it with a hammer or something if its too thick

Professional Sociopath
    You just have to be careful when putting it in as you can quite easily end up pushing it down the seat tube (if you do just pull it out with an old spoke).
    Do people think you are strange??

Do you??

....Then you may be on the right track.
    (Rev. J.R. Bob Dodds)

I post too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by palerider3232
    Hello. I have a 27.0 mm seat post that I am trying to get to fit in a 27.2mm seat tube (taking the seat tube from my older frame and trying to reuse it on the new one to save some money).

I haven't been able to find a shim for this purpose...but then again I don't know alot about shims or where to get them.....if someone could point me out to the right shim for this application it would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
    Did you mean your frame has a 27.2 seat TUBE, in which you're trying to put a 27.0 seat POST, or the other way around? From the way your post is worded(bold part), it seems like it's the other way around.

You cannot fit a seat post that is too big into a frame. Time for a new one.

Members who have read this thread: 1