Shifting problems- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Shifting problems

Hello all
    I have a 1996 Specialized Rock Hopper. The bike shifts fine when under light pedaling load and when on the work stand. When I pedal hard like hill climbing or trying to build up speed the bike changes one and sometimes two gears without me shifting. Whats up?
    Everything seems to be adjusted right.

I4NI
    Worn parts, stretched chain?
    There....Are... Four...Lights!

Fat-tired Roadie
    Sometimes flex. Frame or rear hub could be the culprit. I think the above suggestions are more likely.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by morningmist
    Hello all
    I have a 1996 Specialized Rock Hopper. The bike shifts fine when under light pedaling load and when on the work stand. When I pedal hard like hill climbing or trying to build up speed the bike changes one and sometimes two gears without me shifting. Whats up?
    Everything seems to be adjusted right.
    How old are the chain and rear cassette?
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    The chain's brand new the cassettte is orginal, but in the good shape. The bikes acted this way from day one. I bought the bike in 1997, rode for about 2 years, then had 3 kids and I'm just now getting into real mountain biking again. I'd like to get this problem solved.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by morningmist
    The chain's brand new the cassettte is orginal, but in the good shape. The bikes acted this way from day one. I bought the bike in 1997, rode for about 2 years, then had 3 kids and I'm just now getting into real mountain biking again. I'd like to get this problem solved.
    First, are you sure it is actually shifting, or is it just skipping?

If this really has been doing this since the day you got the bike new, it could be the derailleur hanger is out of alignment. Did you bring it in to the place you bought it? If so, what did they do to fix it?

Though you say it has been doing this since day one, it is still worth asking a few questions about the condition of the drivetrain: How do you know the cassette is in good shape? If the old chain was on there too long, it can wear the cog teeth in a bad way. However, usually when this happens you have MORE problems with the new chain than the old one. Also, have you replaced the cables and housing recently? I would hope these are not the originals as well.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

Members who have read this thread: 0