mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Set up for rail trail comfort plus XC?

I have 29er that I ride on anything from rough XC to AM, sometimes with jumps and drops. I also like to ride rail trails and urban riding.
    The problem is that the same set up as far as seat to handlebar drop and seat comfort are not agreable for the opposing types of riding. I have a WTB pure V seat which is the best I've had so far for XC riding but it isn't suitable for sitting for a few hours on a rail trail. Aslo the front end needs to be a little higher for rail trails than agressive XC.
    How do you guys find a happy medium between vastly different types of riding on the same bike?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Do you have cycling shorts with padding? They work for me. I ride almost 100% XC but I rode an old rail bed for an hour or two and didn't get sore. I still like to stand up occasionally to stretch my legs if nothing else.

I guess the only thing to do about the handlebars is to change out the stem or move the spacers above or below the stem. But, you are going much faster on a railbed, so aerodynamics becomes a factor -- another reason to just leave it low Remeber to lock the fork if you can.

Members who have read this thread: 0