Self sealing inner tubes...Off Topic- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010

New question here. Self sealing inner tubes...Off Topic

Hello, my name is Doug and I am a very new user of this forum with a potentially silly question. I tried the search function, and a brief meta search with Google, but have not found the answer.

I was turning an old inner tube into a large slingshot for my son and when I bisected the tube (cut out the valve stem and shrader valve) a strange smelling liquid started pouring out onto the carpet. I am guessing that the tube (which I received from my local bike shop) is a self sealing inner tube. Can anyone enlighten me with:

A) What is the carrier agent for the rubber dust?

B) Is it safe to breath in by humans?

We are avoiding the room (after I soaked up the liquid and removed the paper towels used to clean up) since the smell is still somewhat pungent.

Any info would be appreciated.

Sincerely,

Doug

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    That stuff is not toxic and won't kill you or make you mutate. It just smells, that's all.
    And btw, inner tube rubber is not elastic enough for a sling shot. Might as well use the stretchy bands from underwear.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Thanks for the reply and heads up on elasticity the-one1. I have not made a slingshot in years, so I guess I would have found that out soon enough.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Surgical tubing are wonderful for slingshots. Very elastic.

29 and Single
    Oct 2009
    That surgical tubing is getting fairly hard to come by. Most tubing used in medical settings is now made of PVC due to latex allergies. This really sucks when you work in an OR and would love to have that tubing to make impromptu slingshots to pass the time.
    Some days you eat the bar, some days the bar eats you.

Members who have read this thread: 0