Seized crank bolts?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Seized crank bolts?

Something is creaking in the BB region so I want to get in there and regrease and reinstall. However, I can't even get the crank bolt off! It's an 8-mm hex bolt and I've tried using an Allen key and a socket wrench with no luck. All the bike maintenance books I've looked at regard this as a trivial step which has me concerned. The bolt is on there quite tight. I don't know if this has anything to do with it but, I did ride it in the winter before and they apply salt to the roads where I live. Here's what it looks like.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Before you go to the extreme and rebuild the BB, I would try just giving your external drive-train a good cleaning.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Try to spray WD-40 on the bolt and leave for 1-2 hrs. You may also put a ring wrench on the handle of your Allen 8 mm, to lengthen the arm and get more torque.

Nice no rass
    PB Blaster also makes a great spray for getting stuck bolts out. Available at most auto parts stores. Spray it real good, let it sit for a few hours to seep in...even tap with a rubber mallet to help it work in. Add something to the allen key as mentioned above to get more leverage and it should release.

Members who have read this thread: 0