Seatpost Clamp- Mtbr.com

Thread: Seatpost Clamp

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Seatpost Clamp

Before I begin, I know this will seem to be a stupid question. But, I've looked everywhere and can't get an answer. I recently bought a new 29er hardtail, and I love the bike. What I don't love is adjusting my seat height 2-3 times per ride, because my clamp allows my seat to fall down slowly, to the point that I feel like my knees are about to hit my elbows. I've tried adjusting the quick release clamp, but it's still happening. I like the idea of the quick release to allow me to adjust my seat height without having to pull out the allen wrench. Do any quick release clamps hold the seat properly on AM/XC riding, or will I need one of the collars that you tighten with the wrench? If there are quick release clamps that work, can you give me a few suggestions on what works the best? I want to order a replacement of some sort this week. It's driving me crazy. Thanks!

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mayberry32 View Post
    Before I begin, I know this will seem to be a stupid question. But, I've looked everywhere and can't get an answer. I recently bought a new 29er hardtail, and I love the bike. What I don't love is adjusting my seat height 2-3 times per ride, because my clamp allows my seat to fall down slowly, to the point that I feel like my knees are about to hit my elbows. I've tried adjusting the quick release clamp, but it's still happening. I like the idea of the quick release to allow me to adjust my seat height without having to pull out the allen wrench. Do any quick release clamps hold the seat properly on AM/XC riding, or will I need one of the collars that you tighten with the wrench? If there are quick release clamps that work, can you give me a few suggestions on what works the best? I want to order a replacement of some sort this week. It's driving me crazy. Thanks!
    You sure the seatpost is the right diameter for the frame? Unless you are incredibly heavy, a decent quick release seat collars should work fine. Hope makes a very good quick release seat collar.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I assume so. It's what came on the bike new, just a few weeks ago. The bike came standard with a Ritchey seatpost, and the quick release collar doesn't have a name on it that I can see.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I have this problem too, though it slides down much more slowly, and intermittently. If I am riding bumpy terrain, the post will slide down 3-4mm over an hour. It helps if I tighten the quick release as much as I can, but sometimes it still slides.

Some Dude
    Hmmm, seems like the clamp should not be doing that, assuming it's the right size and clamped down good enough. Maybe you are sitting in the saddle more than is necessary while riding the bumpy terrain?

Probably drunk right now

It happens sometimes...

This will happen sometimes. Typically it's not the clamp. I assume you've tighten the nut on the opposite side of the lever down to make the clamp tighter?

Sometimes a seatpost will be on the lower end of its OD tolerance and the seat tube will be on the higher end of its ID tolerance.

A couple of options:

1. Take the bike back in to the shop where you bought it and see if they have any ideas or if they'll replace your seatpost.

2. Add some grease or antiseize to the seat post. This may take up enough space and fix the problem.

3. If you have enough room, wrap an energy bar wrapper around the seat post.

4. Replace the seat post with a Thomson. Very expensive but you'll never have another seat post problem.
    JPark - 3.5- don't listen to dremer

empty beer member
    He is what I had work for me.

First take the clamp off the bike. You don't have to take it completely apart. Just loosen it and pull it off the seat tube.

Wipe it down with a clean dry rag to get all the dirt/dust off.

Grease the rounded part of the QR lever where it meets and pivots on the clamp and on the inside where it slides over the seat tube.

Use the rag to clean the inside of the seat tube. The first few inches is where it counts.

Install the clamp back on the bike and grease the seat post up to the point you normally have it set at.

Install seat post and set QR tight enough to leave an indent in your hand when set. This should feel a lot easier than before.

I think this should be a regular maintenance thing. The grease on the clamp removes all the excess friction, it lets all the clamping force actually clamp the post. It has worked on all my bikes with aluminum and carbon post although use carbon paste on the carbon posts. YMMV

Fat-tired Roadie
    I was having this problem. I just whaled on the clamp with an Allen key. All good now.

I did check the size first, and am confident it's correct. And I never adjust my saddle height during a ride, so that's not a big issue for me.

Sometimes when quick releases aren't clamping tightly enough, it's because the friction surfaces are generating too much friction. Make sure that the cam is nice and clean, and maybe add a drop of tri-flow.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Probably the seatpost doesn't fit the seattube. It can be a matter of 0,5mm.
    Take out the seatpost, mesure the inside diamater of the seattube.
    Or just throw away the quick release clamp, and use nut & bolt so U can set it more thight.