Thread: Seat

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Seat

Oh man, after all of these years (I'm only 27) I don't remember the seat hurting so bad. So I went out and bought a Bell memory foam cover. I HATE the way it looks but it seems to work. Any other suggestions on what's working for you?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Seats tend to be a personal thing, it depends on the amount of real estate they have to hold up. Wider isn't always better, and narrow may or may not work either. It basically depends on your sitting bones and where they contact for support.

I have had wide seats, gel seats, foam seats, and a cover. I found my pot of gold in the Fizik Nisene. That was 6 years ago and I never looked back. I can ride all day now and feel great when I get off. I recently purchased another one for a build I am doing. I like it more than some models because it is flatter, giving some room to slide back and forth if you want to change riding positions.

Freshly Fujified

Saddle comfort

Saddle comfort is a subjective and personal issue based on the individual rider. What feels comfortable to one person feels like a rock to the other. Unfortunately, the only real way to find what works for you is by trial and error. Try as many different saddles as you can until you find one that works for you. Some LBS's keep a few of the more popular saddles around to test ride, but this may be the exception rather than the rule. The general concensus and recommendation is that you don't put on a cheap foam cover, but hey...if it works for you..

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

Former Bike Wrench
    If you have a Specialized dealer in town, they have a device for measuring your sit bones width (without actually touching your backside). Even if you don't buy a Specialized saddle, you will at least know if you should be looking for narrower or wider saddles.

SSolo, on your left!
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Call_me_Clyde
    Saddle comfort is a subjective and personal issue based on the individual rider. What feels comfortable to one person feels like a rock to the other. Unfortunately, the only real way to find what works for you is by trial and error. Try as many different saddles as you can until you find one that works for you. Some LBS's keep a few of the more popular saddles around to test ride, but this may be the exception rather than the rule. The general concensus and recommendation is that you don't put on a cheap foam cover, but hey...if it works for you..

Bob
    I found a LBS who was willing to spend the time and bolt several different seats onto my bike and let me ride around the parking lot until I found one that fits good. I settled on a Serfas open slotted seat similiar to this one....they don't make the exact one I bought a couple years ago:

http://www.serfas.com/product.asp?ProductID=1

BTW, seems those covered in leather or vinyl type are better suited to long rides because they don't grab at your pants which can cause more chaffing problems even with bike shorts.

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    If you have a Specialized dealer in town, they have a device for measuring your sit bones width (without actually touching your backside). Even if you don't buy a Specialized saddle, you will at least know if you should be looking for narrower or wider saddles.
    Def do this if you can it is great!! I am fairly small and always figured I needed a narrow saddle, WRONG!!!! I went in and got sized and found out I needed at least a 145mm wide saddle. MY bum feels much better now

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    [QUOTE=NatedogzBTW, seems those covered in leather or vinyl type are better suited to long rides because they don't grab at your pants which can cause more chaffing problems even with bike shorts.[/QUOTE]

what else is there

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Awesome guys..thanks. I'll check into the specialized dealers. I live near NYC theres bound to be one or two.

Rod
    mtbr member
    If you get bored you can always go with trail and error. My 128 mm selle seat just hits me wrong and you can tell it instantly. I put a much wider seat 147mm on and it's much better. Now I just need to find a lighter version of it.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

Members who have read this thread: 0